Music and Soundtrack

Hey guys! Thanks for all the amazing support and compliments! Its lead to Radiant giving me the amazing opportunity to write a few pieces for the Stonehearth Alpha, which I’m sure you’ve all heard. I’ve been reading through the feedback and watching a few YouTube and I can’t tell you how grateful I am for the feedback (no alpha for me, I’m a Mac user :grimacing:).

Lazy Days is floating around here somewhere but here’s a link for Kingdom, the new title track:

Two quick things to say: first, Happy New Year to everyone! What a year! Steve (who started this whole thread, encouraged me to post some work here, and introduced me to the project) is married now and moved far away. How? I don’t know. The man is the epitome of ADHD and I would be surprised if he even remembers me. That said, its been a crazy year and I’ve got nothing but love for 2014. Here’s hoping you all feel the same way! :slight_smile:

Secondly, just to throw my two cents into the pot, I’ve going over a lot of the feedback of the Alpha and it seems like there is a lot of focus on the bugs and issues. By all means, that’s what alpha’s are for and I think everyone is doing Radiant a huge favour in digging these out and bringing them to attention.

On the other hand, for a labor of love that these boys (and girl!) have put into this project, I think it would be VERY helpful for everyone to give a piece of good feedback with any bug reporting and bringing up issues. I’m not sure what some people were expecting but looking at this alpha, it blows my mind what Radiant has accomplished. This project looks so charming and magical and there are so many touches to details and so much attention poured into, not just the engine and graphics but on the character of the game itself. Even at such an early stage, it’s just oozing charm, quirkiness, and heart. Don’t be fooled; anyone, musicians or video game designers, everyone’s human and a little bit of encouragement, especially when we take risks, goes a long long way.

Bugs will be fixed, controls will be adjusted, berries will be bushed and so on. But when these guys promised a big, bright fire all those months ago and everyone here gathered around the hearth, seeing this spark is pretty exciting.

Well done Radiant :smile:

4 Likes

-wipes up a drool puddle from his desk;
This is the new title song? I thought this was the amazing soundtrack to a well written mushy gushy love letter to the devs! :wink:

Your a very talented soundtrack developer and an eloquent writer! I’m loving the music pieces you’ve developed for the game and am excited to hear what else you’ll come up with next! We have an amazing community around this hearth and we are really in store to see some amazing content. :smiley:

@Avairian Haha thanks so much man! I appreciate that immensley! :slight_smile: What you so kindly called eloquent writing, my friends call: rambling :disappointed: This is why I would not survive on Twitter…

2 Likes

No problem. :smile: I understand what you mean about Twitter, can’t put character limits on things your excited about. Bahahaha

1 Like

first of all, how did i miss this post? adds Kingdom to his secret playlist

just beautiful… :rainbow:

wait, what? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: for a second there, i thought my own ADHD had crept up on me… :smile:

seconded! and for what its worth, we have seen a fair amount of positive feedback in the “first impressions” threads… lots of love and gushing praise, intermingled with some of the mini-tirades… :wink:

well said… :clap:

2 Likes

Well, well, well. So, I finally had the chance to install Sibelius First, with my family tour having eventually come to its close, and I’ve been vastly enjoying myself. It can directly export as .wavs so none of the faffing around I had to do, and I’m hoping to put up a new version of my piece at some point today. I have also been tinkering with a new piece, and with the inspiration your pieces provide @Raj, I hope you don’t mind if it ends up having a fairly similar collation of instruments. If you do, I can always look at dropping some things out. :blush:

I’m practically just working on pieces right now, along with making quite an expansive entry into the Giant Bomb Wiki. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Smokestacks If I have inspired you in any way, mission accomplished. I’d love to hear what you can do!

See in my head, I would love Stonehearth to have different soundtracks for different seasons (although they’d definitely share a commonality thematically and melodically). Each season would have its own building, battle, adventure, dungeon, etc music. Summer would be warm acoustic guitars, celtic whistles and latin percussions and very diverse; more strumming and pizzicato. Autumn would be more stripped down piano music but with warm basses and pads and denser and more atmospheric. Winter would be very much about horns and stark music, bombastic battle and driving work music. And spring would be very much strings and orchestra and staccato work.

That’s the way I see it :blush: If that instrumentation rings true for you, then by all means, take it and run! I’d love to hear more from you!

FYI Lazy Days and Kingdom will always be accredited to me but belong to Radiant now so any permission for re-use, monetizing or using the melodies and all that has to go through them. Just want to put that out there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Are these Oriental sounding pieces? :wink: Haha I just realized I haven’t even thought about music for my mod. o.o So much work to do. :fearful: xD

Urrm, I’ll be blunt, no. :wink:

If you wanted music I could have a go, but like the note on my music thread says, I’m 15 and have very little experience in composition. I’m keen to actually pursue it as a career, however at the moment @Raj’s work is a few thousand times better. Low expectations are appreciated :wink:

1 Like

@smokestacks Ahhh don’t be like that! Don’t lower the hurdles so they’re easier to jump! Confidence! You’ll do great! Bring out your inner Kanye!

…okay not too much Kanye. The world can’t handle that much Yeezus… :pensive:

2 Likes

One could only hope. :wink:

Well if you have some free time and wanted to have a shot at a Japanese sounding piece I’d be interested to hear what you can come up with. I’ll need a few songs for my mod at some point, might as well get started now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have no experience what so ever in composition so you’ll do 100x better than me. :smile: Either way, practice makes perfect!

Looking forward to listening some more amazing fan music!

you were :point_right:this:point_left: close to being dropped off my Christmas card list, mister… :wink:

and no, dont sell yourself short @Smokestacks! we believes in ya! :smile:

2 Likes

I can’t say my stuff is really anywhere near the likes of Stronger if I’m honest, however it does make me think that maybe because Stonehearth is planned to have in-game festivals, we can crank out the electro and watch them all have a dance party! :dancers:

I did have confidence at one point, promise! I remain best in my class (mostly because almost everyone else took it because they thought it would be a sit-off and so when they got the chance to compose, they went great! And sat around doing nothing quite happily, whilst I was busy falling in love with composing, making some sweet blues). It’s just then you come on these forums and then there’s these people it’s just a bit…daunting. I’m never really great about sharing anyway…when the house is empty, I have very few places I’d rather be than sat at the piano, but if anyone’s in I really dislike it.

@Avairian, I’ll see what I can do. Would be super helpful if you could maybe link me some music that sounds like what you want? I have a piece that would be fairly easy to put a Chinese edge onto (I don’t know why but I seem to be hell-bent on making your mod Chinese, first pandas, then the music ;)), but I don’t really have a super-firm grasp on what Japanese music sounds like, and instead of researching and finding the wrong stuff, I thought why not ask Mr.Rising Sun himself? :wink:

1 Like

@Avairian Hmmm, well back when Radiant was talking about different races, one of them was an eastern monk-style race I think…? I put together a vid for the 5 kingdoms (up at the top of this thread I think all the way back from 2013! I know, some of you weren’t even born then).

There’s a kind of experimental, oriental piece there you’re more than welcome to use although it’s unfinished and my plate’s a little full to go back and finish it. If it interests you, let me know and I’ll send you the mp3 and all I ask is for a credit and for you to shovel my driveway cause I am SO done with winter… :unamused:

2 Likes

@smokestacks I get ya, man but remember one thing: there’s no such thing as talent. No one was born being good at music. Musicians are where they are cause they practice and work hard and commit and dedicate themselves. They take criticism and overcome failure and don’t give up. It’s our job to inspire confidence in people! Start the fire before you go warming everyone else up! :slight_smile:

Anyone can sing, anyone can master an instrument, anyone can write an amazing, world-famous song. John Lennon, Elvis, Beethoven, Brian Eno…they all worked at it, same as you and me. As long as you keep at it, there’s no reason whatsoever you can’t join them! Confidence! Don’t make excuses for your work! Don’t let anyone intimidate you! Put out the best work you can, swear it’s the best you can do, wear your heart on your sleeve and if someone knocks it down? Good! Learn from it and come out better! You’ll do fine, I promise you :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well I’m no expert at Japanese culture, but a strong interest and spending hours on end researching things helps.:smile: I’ll try and remember where in my bookmarks I saved some of my favorite traditional Japanese songs. Want me to send the links in a message or just post them here? Also if you get a chance look into the Yoshinda Brothers, they have add a drop of modern music into their songs.

Some of the well used instruments in traditional Japanese music are the Shamisen, Taiko, and [Koto][3] if that also helps.

The piece @Raj was talking about is also very nice sounding.

Might as well change the mod title now. Nihonjin: The Chinese mod with a Japanese name. :wink: Luckily early Japanese culture was heavily influenced by the Chinese. lol

[3]: Koto (instrument) - Wikipedia[quote=“Raj, post:216, topic:104”]
There’s a kind of experimental, oriental piece there you’re more than welcome to use although it’s unfinished and my plate’s a little full to go back and finish
[/quote]
I remember that piece, I really like that one. Yeah I think I could find a use for that if you wouldn’t mind. :smile: I’m so done with winter as well, but I think credit and shoveling your driveway is well worth it. :smile: Thanks for offering!

2 Likes

@Avairian Great, PM me your email and I’ll send you the mp3 when I’m home. I’ve got a hugely busy month but if I get a chance to put together a traditional Japanese piece, that would be so much fun. I’m madly in LOVE with the work of Takanshi Yasuharu

1 Like

+a million!!! I tell people this all the time and I’m glad to hear the same from you, Raj. Great job on the music, man! :smile:

I’d love to hear what else you can come up with! Ahhh yes Takanshi Yasuhara, an amazing composer! You linked to an amazing song as well! :smiley:

@CaseyEdwards Right?! Haha thanks buddy! And great work with the Killer Instinct Soundtrack!! Anyone here who hasn’t heard it should check it out!