Indie Spotlight: Starbound!

for release, im not sure… i think the beta is slated for Dec?

im really interested in all the procedural generation… i mean, if you look at some of the development logs (or view the road map), they are really going to great lengths to make each experience unique (and the exploration/crafting aspects very deep)…

I’m really curious, modding within an MMO? I…I…I don’t understand…

Would it be that there would be an individual server for a modded game with everyone then having the same mods?

Well there is the platform that hosts it which is also being developed alongside it. How it works is that anyone can at any time download all the source code and resource for the game to run on the platform and create a world using it, they can also modify it as they see fit of course. It ties in with some of the other more notable features like botting being encouraged and near vital to a really good character or being able to rewrite the UI to suit. The best place to find more info would probably be http://forum.topiaonline.com/index.php?threads/sept-10-topia-online-new-details.322/ as most of the info around the internet is fairly outdated, I think the cost for hosting worlds has been slightly rebalanced though since then so the few hundred players estimate is probably too high.

hmm, wasnt even aware (or did i just blank out on this), but it seems Starbound is leveraging Lua as well…

NPCs are configurable via JSON and LUA files, like…most other things, really! Once this system is fully in place, we’ll be able to easily spawn NPCs of different types.

1 Like

In case any of you had missed the announcement, Starbound Beta will be available December 4th!

http://playstarbound.com/december-4th/

Time to get excited!!!

Multiplayer will be available.

I’m all over Starbound. I’ve pledged my $$ to get in on the alpha (in two days!). Love Terraria and this looks to be Terraria on steroids.

Also, playing a lot in Trove, which has a lot of potential as well.

1 Like

nice! thanks for the update… will definitely be logging some time with this over the weekend… :smile:

and given its new-car-smell, i wont be completely embarrassed to join a MP game with you, either!

i still havent gotten an invite… another member reported the performance was atrocious… whats been your experience?

edit: i think it may be out already? Paul Soares Jr. has a video up, and some tweets from @mollygos would seem to indicate it can be had from Humble Bundle (i cant check from work, however)…

edit #2: ok, it seems Paul was given an early access beta key, but some of those tweets from @mollygos really sounded like the client was already accessible…

edit #3: so, with SB officially out in the wilds, and with the ability to mod (using the familiar JSON/Lua landscape we’ll have in SH), i’m curious if any of our budding modders (@voxel_pirate, @Alesfatalis, @LordNevs, @Xavion, @Miturion, @Skull24) have been having a go at it? :smiley:

1 Like

The game looks fun, but right now I’ll just work on SH.

Performance is just fine, though you’d want a decent machine to play it on, just as you would with any new game. Hell, Terraria would lag with a full blown base built, but I had little issue with Trove…

Looks like a funny game. Reminds me about Terraria. I am currently focusing on Stonehearth because i haven’t enough time for multiple games currently :wink:

Not me for sure, I dont have the game and I am no coder. Even if I was modding two games would be a huge time investment.

apologies, my request to the modders wasnt very clear… i was more curious to know if you all had cracked open the code, and modified anything yet… given that the two games leverage similar environments, there might be some good practice to be had! :+1:

1 Like

There should be an update coming soon for Starbound and I believe this update will wipe your character, so, don’t get too attached folks!

Unfortunately, this will be a game that I will be skipping. Not a tremendous fan of it. Went to a friends house and played for a bit and wasn’t all that impressed. To me, the game seems like a very in-depth Terraria mod with slightly less detailed graphics, an overhauled new UI, annoying new controls, new Characters, items, mobs, terrain, and a bit of a spin on the story. As much as I do love sci-fi games. I have yet to see something that blows me away in this game. However, I do understand that it is in it’s beta stages, and I am sure that the developers will soon expand the gap that separates the two games. Even still, I didn’t like Terraria much either.

If they add communism, I am in.

Yes yes… character gone. Played for the last 8 hours, updated, and wipe. Doh :slight_smile: I suppose I shouldn’t have worried about the fuel.

1 Like

i feel rather awful, visiting some planets with the sole purpose of defrosting them for their precious, precious fuel…

then again, @Geoffers747’s relentless physical tormenting, and “psychological testing” made the this way, so at least i have someone to blame…

time to get the new update! :smile:

2 Likes

This game… :heart: It’s a shame that my server host for it is glitching out or something… plus the new update hasn’t helped for multiplayer. At least for my host.

So I don’t know alot about this game, so please explain to me

Is it available right now? or do I have to wait till said update like I saw somewhere?

And

Are there MP servers yet? if yes, does the SH community have one yet?

The game is available now but it’s in Beta and is updated constantly, you can buy it straight from Steam - just search Starbound.

If you’ve played Terraria it’s quite a lot like that - but more … spacey … I don’t really know enough to adequately explain it, so far though it’s a lot of fun!

Multiplayer is hosted by people, yes it’s available so you can join your friends, no there isn’t a Stonehearth one yet.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of hosting a SH Starbound server for us… not sure yet. :wink: I just need to get my own server working first! … or I can order a new one.

Opinions?

1 Like