Worker Randomly Stop Working

Your efforts to help us nail this are so so appreciated, @Vince5754! I’m still looking for the root cause.

2 Likes

yes, in your case for everyone going brain-dead. For me it doesn’t work for just a couple going brain-dead…

I did think that the whole “Several going brain dead” bug was something different… Hmm…

Also due to an unfortunate miscommunication a friend of mine has my laptop so I won’t be getting it back until at least tomorrow. :frowning:

Seems I won’t be testing that bug yet.

@Ponder So I’ve created two separate saves from the world I’ve been using.

One save I had ordered a Carpenter to craft Wooden Drawers, on load everyone was brain dead.

The second save I ordered a Mason to create some Tower Braziers, on load everyone was brain dead,

I did notice however that the Trapper would bring the retrieved items to the stockpile and place them, but would then become unresponsive, odd.

It would seem that its a problem with a Crafters code in general, not a specific crafter.

I have a another idea for a test I can try. I’ll let you know what I find out.

4 Likes

I’ve just got a game in r223 which is quite far developped, 15+ citizens atm, high level crafetrs and all. Now here it seems that when i leave the weaver and carpenter with stuff to do on reload. They don’t go brain dead. I’ll try with mason and blacksmith and see what happens.

That’s the strange thing, @Sweeck , and is something I’m looking into at the moment.

This morning I did a different test where I order a Carpenter to make items, and while he was working on that task, I saved and reloaded that save a minute later, and what would normally cause the lobotomy bug wouldn’t do anything. Which is why it seems as though it doesn’t actually cause a problem until the next real life day of that save.

i haven’t encountered the brain dead after mason and weaver either. I dunno if this maight be the cause but i imported a r230 save and updtaed it to a r233 save. IT would be highly unlikely, but in my clean r230 saves i did get the same issue you did tho… haven’t tried with a 100% clean r233 save (yet). Have you tried that @Vince5754 ?

SCRATCH that: I just reloaded again and this time it’s a 2 in 1 bugg…

I have been getting this bug for a long time now, and it appears that others are getting it as well. The bug symptoms are that when you load a saved game, the hearthlings drop what they are doing and will no longer do anything at all.

These are the steps that guarantee that my save game will become bugged.

1. Play game and save at some point, even if you only play for one game day.

2. quit game

3. close out steam.

4. Reboot computer.

5. Your save game is now bugged when you restart.

So it would seem that restarting the computer is the main contributor. Either the game is not handling a dynamic ip, or something is not getting saved from memory to the save game file. Or maybe it has something to do with steam…

hey there @Tempered … welcome aboard! :smile:

your post was merged here, as it falls in line with the “brain dead” units syndrome… :wink:

2 Likes

In my case, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with crafters. I can reproduce the bug without having any crafters.

1 Like

I actually had the lighting bug and zombie bug happen together tonight, and it wasn’t do to crafters, but to farmers. I had to delete all my fields, save, and reload. I’ve attached a copy of the two saves, one of when the error begins, and one of after. This is a save I started playing yesterday, and resumed today after work. So…it kinda fits with what @Tempered as well as @Vince5754 were saying. Funny though that the lighting / fog-o-war bug fixed itself too upon reload.

Saved Games.zip

Bingo! I can reproduce this exactly as @Tempered describes and it doesn’t require a crafter. Now to get it fixed. Thanks to everyone for the great sleuthing. @Vince5754 and @Tempered get bonus points for this!

6 Likes

Okay so here is my most recent finding:

I created another save from my world where this bug has been happening, and set up my Carpenter to craft some Dressers. I first immediately loaded the world at around 9:30 AM Tuesday, and everyone acted as normal and the crafter continued his work. I then turned on the game around lunch time, and as before everyone worked fine, I loaded that save again at around 10:30 PM Tuesday, and they work fine.

I wake up the next morning, and the bug has occurred.

Looking back, I really ought to have tried getting the bug without crafters in the first place. But all the times it had occurred it just so happened to be when I had ordered crafters to make stuff, so I focused on that.

Between this finding and what @Tempered has found, it does seem abundantly clear that turning off your computer causes the bug to occur. Hopefully this and the saves people have uploaded will be enough for @Ponder to diagnose the problem and fix it!

3 Likes

Ok, I think I got this fixed. Thanks again for showing how to reproduce this bug!

5 Likes

This was the secret sauce that enabled us to finally, (FINALLY!), repro this bug. Thx to everyone who provided their info, and to @Albert for beating the code back into submission.

If you’ve been seeing this bug, please check out release-240 on steam and let us know your results. Thx!

4 Likes

Much Appreciated! You and the rest of the team are Awesome!!! (fingers crossed). @Albert should get a bonus! (joking tone) Ya know! A pat on the back, an extra 15min tacked on for break, Extra cup of coffee, Gold star on the Name tag, Free Lunch?! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Possible Return of This Bug

So, everything is flowing more smoothly, and I’m not running into the error yet, but I am having a problem getting my guys to mine. They’ll do it for a while, then it seems like they realize what I’m paying them and don’t want to anymore. Here’s a few pics of what I mean.

They’re still collecting resources, still eating, ect, just are refusing to mine. I’ve tried changing how much they need to mine, and where to mine, and it seems to not change their union mandated break.

i’m a try this right now. I’ll see if i can use an imported file (form older version) since it appeared to work from r230-233.
I’ll also try to reproduce on a new save, i’ll edit this post with the results

So, to clarify, this is the bug we get when we reload games and they don’t do anything? Or the one where they stop working after a while?

I’m out of the house most of the day, but I know that all of the broke workers I have encounterd have been without my computer rebooting. I will test it when I get home though. So far I have just encountered the left-template bug, so I will invest a few hours to see if I can repro the worker bug.

@thedrgnrbrn - Yes, the bug we fixed in this thread only occurs after loading. Rebooting most commonly caused the problem, but other strange effects might have been possible when loading without a reboot.

The other workers stop working bugs may be related to the pathfinder running out of time before finding a path because there are a lot of stockpiles/zones or because those zones are far away.

4 Likes