The Stonehearth PC Building Workshop (Formally "Is this a Good PC for Stonehearth")

Wait, when I looked up Kaveri AMD APU in Google Search, it said it was a chip, but you said it was a laptop.

I won’t be needing the desktop as I currently don’t have the space, even though the case looks amazing.

You’re correct the Kaveri chip is going to be used to build laptops and PCs. I would just wait until then.

Well, since I want a laptop before around the time the beta of Stonehearth gets released in December, I could eather get the Toshiba Satellight, or I could eather get one of these two Lenovo laptops:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

Lenovo Ideapad Y500

Which one should I get?

Both the Lenovo’s are pretty much the same. CPU-wise the Lenovo’s beat the Satellite. GPU wise the Satellite is better as the APU can crossfire with the integrated graphics chip. Personally I would go with the Satellite, but it’s more a matter of what you think is more important.

The CPU comparison only really applies when talking about production. The GPU is more important for gaming and rendering.

In my experience, the NZXT Source 220 is better. Little bit roomier and it has more ventilation. Also, very easy to do an install in for beginners because of it’s “Screw-less” system.
Link: http://goo.gl/O8XmVL

Thats quite a bit for a motherboard, why not just go with something like the MSI B85-G41?
Link: http://goo.gl/x5r6Cc

Again, going to have to disagree. MUCH better deal with the Western Digital Caviar Black.
Link: Amazon.com

With this, spending 4 bucks more will definitely be worth it. Ripjaws are by-far one of the best types of ram available for gamers.
Link: http://goo.gl/IVX1E

Sorry for ripping apart your build there, couldn’t resist >.<

Edit: Whoops, didn’t notice that AMD CPU, the MB I listed doesn’t have a compatable port for that.

Edit 2: Here is the link for a different motherboard that will work, about the same price as the same one I listed. http://goo.gl/ad5qG

@EpicDwarf I own a Y500, and use it for all my gaming (and everything else), and I must say this: it runs basically everything I own without a hitch. There are a few exceptions, of course, such as Rome II on High settings, and a few unoptimized Alpha games that are fairly laggy, but for the most part, it’s smooth and works very well. HOWEVER, if you aren’t used to Win8, be prepared, because it comes preloaded with it.

Anyway, I was running the SHGT(Graphics Test) at over 250 fps, so it seems to work pretty well for that…

I would definitely recommend it.

Specs:
nVidia GeForce GT 750M
8GB RAM
2GB DDR3 (I think)
1TB HDD w/ 5400 rpm
Intel i7-3630QM at 2.4GHz

Works like a charm for just about anything.

Guys, seriously, a rock and chisel should be able to run Stonehearth. Don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Was a quick build i ripped out in like 5 mins. I personally own the original NZXT Phantom and recommend NZXT cases but I was going for quick and cheap. The reason I chose that motherboard is for an AMD processor and for a 990FX northbridge which is the top of the line northbridge for better handling of memory/gpu/cpu operations. The motherboard you chose does not have the intel equivalent.

AMD equivalent to what you posted here

Moreover the motherboard I originally posted is pretty damn sweet for overclocking.
The HDD you posted was a traditional drive the one I posted was hybrid, you’re right there is no comparison the one i posted is much quicker hence the bigger price.

As far as ram is concerned they’re pretty much all the same. My friend uses Ripjaws, I’ve used Avexir and Adata. They all have the same timings and frequency and work the same. So long as the frequency is the same all providers use the same if not extremely similar timings. Not to mention Intel boards lock your frequency to 1333 in the BIOS so unless you’re going overclock it and fix it (which you would need a UEFI enabled motherboard which I presented in my first post) anything above 1333 mhz is moot.

If I really wanted to drop for pricetags I’d go with a top of the line Richland APU. Intel is not where you would find good deals. They’re better CPUs in the very high end but everything else is comparable.

1 Like

Running an
AMD Phenom II 970 Black Edition (3.5Ghz)
4 GB DDR 1600
Radeon HD 6870

I sure wish I had built my computer now instead of 2 years ago. Probably could have saved 200+ dollars :stuck_out_tongue:
Oh well, it can run everything except Crysis 3 at max (or close enough to max) settings pretty comfortably.

Well, my computer can’t run the graphics test, so that must mean something is wrong.

Besides, it’s about time I get a new computer. The PC I am using went obsolete years ago.

I can run the Graphic test on my Notebook at work! It is an HP Elitebook 8440p with just Intel HD Graphics running on a i5 CPU :wink:

This thread is getting so popular and going so off the topic, that I’m gonna have to rename it.

2 Likes

excellent decision… keeps the thread relevant… :+1:

but that title… it might break the internetz…

1 Like

Yeah, I do have to admit it is a really long title. :wink:

Yeah, I missed the fact that it was a hybrid. My tiny brain only saw the 5400-RPM HDD, and not the fact that it was 5x faster. But whats the difference anyways, right? 5x is hardly anything compared to 1x.

I’ve got a question: Which is better 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM? :confused: I wanted to do some editing using Premiere Pro, but that requires a 7200 RPM hard drive, and I’m not sure whether or not I’m compatible or exceeding the requirements.

I always build my own rigs (since the intel 286 days). Here’s my latest build FWiW:
Tower
Hard Drive
Motherboard
Power Supply
RAM x 12 gigs
Chip - AMD
Video Card
DVD burner

Used my existing pair of 25" monitors, keyboard and mouse.

1 Like

Looks like you weren’t trying to save money. :smile:

RPM = rotations per minute. The more RPM, the better - So the 7200 RPM hard disk drive is better in this case.

1 Like

haha. My previous build was about 5 years old (and still ran the Stonehearth test just fine), so in the long run…