The Stonehearth PC Building Workshop (Formally "Is this a Good PC for Stonehearth")

I’m using that exact same Motherboard. It’s a dream.

Not necessarily. As I stated before the 5400RPM one is a Hybrid Drive with an 8GB cache. It uses the flash memories to quickly pull info, faster than a traditional drive but slower than an SSD. In this case it depends on the application on what would be faster. Games should be faster on the SSHD because they constantly hit up a cached memory for small files like textures and ect. If we were talking straight traditional drives you would be right. The speed difference in 5400 and 7200 is about 10-20% depending on the interface used. Speed difference between SSD and a traditional drive can be anywhere from 100-160%

1 Like

Should have looked into the context a bit more, was only answering as a comparison of two identical drives with 2 different speeds. Thanks for the clarification. :blush:

So I’m a mac-user, but that means I can’t play a lot of games. So I was wondering if any of you guys on the discourse have any ideas for a fairly cheap (£100-£150) pc that’s got a fairly good processor so I don’t get too much lag.

P.S.Must be payable in ££s

That’s gonna be incredibly difficult, especially depending on what games you’re wanting to play?

You would probably be better heading to a website more suitable to this type of question, Reddit - Dive into anything is a good community for this sort of thing, other than that try some other tech forums.

Could Bootcamp help here?

1 Like

This is very hard to do, especially with modern built computers. My best guess is to buy one for this price is Ebay. If you have some sort of Craigslist that works too. You can however go to PcPartPicker and put one together for a reasonable price and save your pennies. Best of luck to ya!

This is incredibly hard to do, as a well built PC takes at least $1,000 USD to build. You should use PCPartPicker to find out the parts you want, and look for them in sites such as Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, Newegg, etc. I also suggest looking in some Tech Forums such as TomsHardware or AnandTech for some help. Look in r/buildapc for help too.

Also, Bootcamp is a good option too, but I prefer having an actual Physical PC, but Bootcamp is still good.

I can help you find out how to build a PC, especially a well built PC, even with a limited Budget, but let’s all be honest here, £100 - £150 is a little hard to work with.

That’s why (if the Mac is a decent machine) I think Bootcamp should be the first step to consider. For that money you can get a Windows-License and re-use your existing system without having to invest into a second one.

The trouble is…

The mac isn’t actually mine: It’s a family mac, we got it ~2 years ago and I haven’t been too interested in gaming so I haven’t needed a PC these last birthdays but now I’ve realised how many games don’t work on mac.

I don’t think its performance is amazing, but is there not Wine?

Have a look at a what I’m planning for my rig:

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Black Brushed Aluminum and Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - Newegg.com

Motherboard: Open Box: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com-pla--AMD+Motherboards-_-N82E16813157394R&ef_id=U2ViqgAABOHx9T2D:20140623013219:s

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

CPU Cooler: Stock (The one that comes with the CPU)

(The 2GB Version) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card 04G-P4-3774-KR - Newegg.com-pla--Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814130945&ef_id=U2ViqgAABOHx9T2D:20140619165910:s

(8GB) RAM: HyperX FURY 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX316C10FB/4 - Newegg.com-pla--Desktop+Memory-_-N82E16820104443&ef_id=U2ViqgAABOHx9T2D:20140623012431:s

SSD: 120GB 840 EVO SSD SATA III DISC - Newegg.com

HDD: Western Digital WD Blue Hard Drive 1TB WD10EZEX 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" | Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Power Supply: CORSAIR CX Series CX600 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply - Newegg.com

Optical Drive: ASUS Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818AAT (DVD-E818AAT/BLK/B/GE) - Newegg.com

(x2 - the case already comes with 3 Corsair fans) Fans: Corsair Air Series AF140 140mm Quiet Edition High Airflow Case Fan Single Pack(CO-9050009-WW) - Newegg.com

OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit | Windows Operating Systems - Newegg.com

Wireless Adapter: ASUS USB-N53 Dual Band (2.4GHz 300Mbps/5GHz 300Mbps) Wireless-N USB Adapter, Graphical Easy Interface, Live Signal Monitor - Newegg.com

Everything is about $1350.99 USD (without tax) at the moment. I wanted to see if anyone could help me search around and find better and cheaper alternatives (please no compromising performance). I would like it if I could get the entire build below $1,000 USD - without tax ($700-900 is what I’m striving for). Also note, I want to stick with the current case - everything else is open to change. I’ll keep the list updated if I decide to change anything as well. I will also do another list for accessories (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.) after I get a final list of parts for my rig.

Thanks in Advance ~ Valiance

I would say grab a copy of Windows 7. It’s more game friendly, I personally like Windows 7 over Windows 8. Then again I haven’t gamed on my laptop too much, also if you don’t have a touch screen it’s difficult to navigate.

I’m not a fan of Gigbyte , other than video cards , but it’s personal liking. I’ve installed a Gigbyte motherboard into my brothers computer and it works really well.

Other than that I can only say it’s a good build. I’m actually working on one myself.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Feashrind, I personally am using Windows 8.1 because in a few months it’ll be getting an update and the contents of it look promising. Also, the motherboard was selected because I’m on a budget. I haven’t tried gigabyte before, but your comment seems to make up for the priced choice.

I do prefer Windows 7 over 8 since 7 is not a complete pile of ****, but it’s just my personal preference.

1 Like

How about this, although personally I wouldn’t recommend getting 16GB of RAM if you are only going to be gaming.
The i5 would perform much better than the FX6300, and the 280X should perform about the same as the 770.
I couldn’t get the price below $1000 without dropping the amount of RAM or choosing a case that would compromise on looks.
Also, reconsider getting an optical drive, not many people use them anymore.

1 Like

I’ve updated the list. A bunch of stuff has changed. Also, I won’t only be gaming. I’ll also be animating and doing alot of video editing and such - so 16GB of ram would be crucial.

2 Likes

There’s no point in getting a K-series processor with that motherboard, you’d need a z87 or z97 chipset to overclock. Also did you mean to update the case? Seems a bit silly an ITX board in a mid tower.

Don’t want to rain on your parade or anything, guys, but I’m pretty sure that Win7 is still slightly more expensive or just as expensive as Win8.

2 Likes

I changed alot of stuff again, I got the price to $1,086.63 - I cut down on a bunch of stuff. I’ve decided I’ll start small and upgrade over time to the system of my dreams. Right now I would just like if someone could find cheaper variants of the specs I’ve choosen so I can get that price down to under $1,000. Also, is a 750W Power Supply abit much for what I’m headed for here? Also do you think the fans will be enough to keep the system cool enough?

I rushed and I didn’t check whether or not I got the overclockable edition. And besides, if I were to overclock anything I would take the water-cooling route.