TAILZ Designing buildings with Fornjotr

These builds are amazing. :star_struck:
I really enjoy seeing the result of a lot of measuring, careful planning and building technique.
I would love it if you gave some occasional commentary while you work to explain why you are doing what you are doing. I can guess at a lot of it, but it would certainly make the length of the videos more digestible.

Also, a big problem I see with a lot of builds, including these unfortunately, is that they are not to scale for the size of hearthlings. Don’t get me wrong, the proportions are great for a realistic interpretation of buildings used by people in real life, but these buildings are kind of too big and impractical and just seem out of place next to hearthlings.

:smirk: So a challenge for you then, to include all the features in a design, while making it as small as possible. Shrink ray it here and there.

1 Like

Thank you for the great feedback Genboom :slight_smile:

I agree that the lack of commentary is an issue, but i just find it very hard to focus on speaking english while i go through the many thoughts i go through, during the designprocess. Maybe i could make a seperate commentary track while editing, ill keep that in mind :slight_smile:

This is actually the first design i have ever made from a refrencepicture, i usually just make it from a mishmash of ideas.
But with the current gameplay in SH, i agree that the scale of the house is way overkill. It took me two hours to design and with the hearthlings then building it afterwards, it will never be very usufull in the game, other than the eyepleasing part of it.

If you look at the previous video with the carpenter workshop, its much smaller and practical. Maybe the adition of a chimney and a window in the roof could achieve what you are asking for?

Thank you again for the great feedback, i will make use of it :wink:

1 Like

I’ve done some commentary videos in the past and I found what worked best for me is to record myself rambling while I build, take some notes and then do a voice over commentary while watching the video that is much more organized and on point. It made me come across as less distracted, though this method takes a lot of time to produce the video. I’m sure eventually I could have gotten better at it during the first shoot but this is what worked for me. I will say that if you do commentary like this, don’t do it for everything, the time sink is huge, its probably much easier to just ramble and then edit over with the post commentary explanation of something during key points in the video. I only did what I did because I hated editing. Your thumbnails are really good already. :smile:

Oh, and with the workshop, just seems like a lot of space for 1 hearthling, but I suppose with mods to decorate it makes sense. I am just ever conscious of the footprint that my walls will have if I build everything for aesthetics. Sometimes you gotta make the tough decisions :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

This sounds like something i need to try out! Thanks :slight_smile:

O gosh :open_mouth:
I really love your style!! Great work!! :heart::heart:

1 Like

So new video up today. This time it is the Purrrfect gypsy wagon, that i made for @Bella_Chatlotte. Check out her thread on the discourse here:

The commentary is in danish for now, but i will practise to end up making them in english. @genboom gave me some tricks for that. Let me know if it sounds like gibberish :rofl:

EDIT: Now with english subtitles!

Here is the video:

And the link to the template:
http://stonehearthbuilds.heliohost.org/builds/?id=628

7 Likes

1 Like

Danish always sounds like gibberish! (Ham begins your typical ‘Sweden vs Denmark’-argument and makes an angry face)

The wagon looks really good though!

3 Likes

This looks like Brazil vs Whole Latino America, cause we brazilians do not speak spanish (like the rest of the continent does), and “we” usually make fun of their accent. Like if speak portuguese would sound so much better… XD

2 Likes

ahahaha what is it you swedes call it? speaking with a potato in the mouth compared to swedish?

Thanks Ham :wink:

2 Likes

If you prefer, you can keep the audio in your native language and just add subtitles to english.

5 Likes

LOL, now this is like Brazil vs Portugal (the ones with potato on their mouth).
And to think that we brazilians have a such reputation of being a very pacific people…

1 Like

ahh yes, that would be a great way to do it… then i just need to find the subtitle system :smile: Thanks Bruno.

1 Like

I think they call it CC, or Closed(?) Captions - you find it in the video editor; one of the tabs on the top.

2 Likes

Thank you for making me aware of this Bruno :slight_smile:

The video now have english subtitles!!

3 Likes

New video (with english subtitles) about a weavers workshop for the ascendancy in the swamp.
I have tried to shorten the video a lot, but i learn every time i make a new, so room for improvement :smile:
Any feedback on the video (itself or the templatedesign) is more than welcome.
Hope you enjoy, thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

See? If I was the one doing these templates, I would simple copy the default, apply the moss and colors, and call it done. I think we all can agree that I should not be in charge of the templates :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

hehe, that thought never crossed my mind, but when you say it, i agree that it would have been an easier solution! :smile: Well now i am comitted to making these, so i will do as i have planned :sunny:

No video, but i just made this small fortress “Fort Prosperity” inspired by the new trading hearth.

No mods. I hope some will find it usefull…
Can be downloaded here at the template site:
http://stonehearthbuilds.heliohost.org/builds/?id=763

11 Likes

Playing around with the new builder… My mason Rocky really wanted a new home and workshop, so i designed this tower for him…

It contains all a mason could ever dream of, resources, workshop, bedroom, two fireplaces and a breathtaking view! Secured at the bottom with two stone doors (made by Rocky) :slight_smile:

Here are the template if anyone want to visit Rocky in his new home :merry:

Rockys tower.zip (89.9 KB)

7 Likes