Sungai Tribe Mod (Full Tribal Conversion)

what no only the strong survive what kind of tribalness is this!!!

/mortal combat voice on

it has, begun!

/mortal combat voice off

1 Like

That’s what I thought might happen. I think the first model is still the best, since its the cleanest, but if you can figure out someway to convey more of that “bone” feeling without cluttering it so much, it would really help…

Beware the Dogs of War Tribesmen!!!

3 Likes

Yeah I’ll probably take a few more runs at it to see if I can’t find some kind of middle ground the bones are either too large and busy looking or they’re too small to really add in any detail so far.

1 Like

My work was delayed tonight as I decided to upgrade to the Windows 8.1 preview (I like to live on the edge and I really wanted the new snap features; now I can snap my image searches and my music along side my Qubicle so I don’t have to alt-tab to skip songs woo!) I didn’t want to get caught up in work so I decided to do some for fun voxels.

I give you the BETA FISH; it’s from the Windows 8.1 preview splash screen. I wonder if they would care if it was in the mod?

But I did also take another swing at the tribal cage.

1 Like

I think that the bone cage is good enough for now :wink: Do you have any of the other classes worked out yet model-wise? This Pikken craze would be a perfect time to make the animal handler or the rancher/breeder.

Not yet the class progression is really bothering me; it seems too cut and dry and linear. So I tried to spice it up some today and then I ended up with…

About the time I couldn’t follow my own arrows I think it became a problem.

2 Likes

Ow. I think I pulled a few brain muscles trying to figure that out. It looks simple at first, but as soon as I tried to go deeper, I got brain cramps. SERIOUSLY GUISE. NOT WORTH IT. RUN. RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Haha you should have seen it before the lines for the arrows were separated. I was trying to follow one and I was like “WHY IS THE WARRIOR CONNECTED TO THE MEDICINE MAN?! Oh… he’s not.”

2 Likes

But the overall thing I was trying to accomplish was to cut some lines shorter that really didn’t need 3 levels, add some more unique ones (which turned into just question marks), introduce some conditional/hybrid criteria kind of classes (the yellow ones), and just make it so you didn’t didn’t have like 3 “Crafters” at the base level all of which would screw you if you didn’t first make the “Carpenter” so then I thought why not a basic “Crafter” that would do basic huts and simple things and he would make the tools needed for the next ones. That kind of negates the Carpenter though so then I was going to remove that but Builder was a second generation class so then where does that leave people in the interim? They’d want better huts, fences, and maybe a fort or something.

The Leatherworker is supposed to be conditional on having a Crafter and Skinner and the Riders require saddles and domesticated Pikkens; but that’s conditional on Leatherworker and Handler. That’s when I just hit my head against a wall and yeah.

A second generation class is supposed to be one where the kid of the previous generation class would have the “inherit” skills to take that class to the next level.

Had to crank out a really awesome visual that came to me just as I was closing stuff down; but if I didn’t do it now I would have lost it from my brain forever.

Meet da Monkey.

6 Likes

While not supporting colour or being able to control position directly yuml.me seems alright. Some kind of graphing tool with auto-balancing features would probably be best. I tried yuml though and here is the results, unfortunately I don’t know how to set image size here so it’s big. Also the link for editing is http://yuml.me/edit/20fb2084 if you want to change it.

5 Likes

Just wondering, what are the differences between the classes that come from the crafter, such as the Builder and Maker? It just seems a little odd that you’d need 3 Carpenters (pr 4, if you run your chieftain through that class). Also, it would be interesting if the chieftain gave unique bonuses based on which class tree you ran im through, so that players could customize their direction even more.

Its an awesome model, but it feels to me like the forehead is one voxel too large, and the feet should probably be moved forward a bit.
(You’ll notice I only ever nitpick your models, but that’s because A) There aren’t ever any glaring errors, and B) otherwise I’d be saying “that looks awesome” in every comment…)

I welcome the comments sir; its funny because I saw it as the back of the head was too short. I just needed to get the base down before I lost idea that I had last night.
So yeah you’re right about the classes and I’ve been trying to work down that class list my friend made by axing redundancy; the original thought from him was each upgrade to the carpenter would be like a step up technologically. I just thought of something today that might make more sense. Specialties in which your Carpenter reaches a certain level that he specializes in something like Masonry or Buildings; masonry would give bonuses to stone recipes and buildings more fortified and builders would have more complex/larger buildings and a bonus to building based recipes. They’d still be Carpenters by class then and you wouldn’t be required to get them all it would be the style and flavor of city you’re going for.

Nice work @GrimMethod. The first thing that comes to mind looking at your class tree is that I think you have too many classes that can be promoted to Chieftain. Perhaps only the champion, rider, witch doctor, and medicine man lines could be promoted to Chieftain. Seems that the villagers would probably only put faith on one of these types of villagers to lead them.

1 Like

So first I’m going to start by apologizing for the use of PowerPoint again; but it’s what I have readily available at work which is where I like to whip up this stuff during down time. I like the site that @Xavion showed off so I might do some of the stuff in that but in the direction this is going now it’s going to be even harder; plus I need my colors to maintain my sanity :smiley: I’m hoping by tagging some of the lines this one is at least a little easier?

I’m going to be referencing them as “Jobs” instead of classes in this post and possibly going forward? We all love that right? Good.

Even if it isn’t I’m about to explain what happened today; so for you guys that have been following along you know that when we expanded the class tree (the one showing in the original post currently) it added a ton of redundancy and I just generally disliked how linear it was. It didn’t mesh well with the other ideas we have for villager kids and offspring either. So I had been axing classes, rearranging stuff, adding conditionals, and other stuff but it still didn’t feel right. I think I’ve come up with the solution though and it’s in the kids. So with that we have what’s above everything starts with your Villager (he’s going to be like the worker in vanilla Stonehearth) from there they have access to only the green colored jobs (as in base level jobs). So now you start building your tribe and you got some Warriors, Archers running around hunting and killing you have a Carpenter making some huts and a farmer sowing the fields when someone comes back with a spear in their eye you send them to the Herbalist to get some natural remedies rubbed in but then what you say?

Well you get your tribesman busy making kids so now you see a Xena Warrior Princess shaking up with the local Handler and they have a kid when that kid “grows up” you’ll be able to choose to inherit Warrior OR Handler OR Rider as the kid grew up both around animals and fighting; he’ll unlock the ability to equip a “Rider Talisman” which will produce your very first Rider. Now that you have one Rider it’s much easier to get more (the new grown up Rider villager just needs to get busy) they will be able to produce offspring that will get to be Rider or the other job of their parent depending on the needs of your village at the time. You will also always have the ability to equip any talisman that doesn’t require a specific “inheritance” as well so even villager offspring can act as just a jobless villager if you really need a specific base job that’s always an option.

So for the color coding of the chart the Orange jobs are a hybrid inheritance that involves two parents of different jobs and the Red colored jobs are pure jobs inherited when both parents are of the same base job. Purple is a special case scenario and this slide is unfortunately as of about 5 minutes ago outdated in regards to the one example it gives; it can’t actually be 3 base level jobs (3 parents?) I was trying to think of just an example so for the “Maker” (name pending) it would really be like the Blacksmith + Carpenter or something along those lines. So a third level inherited job will involve any second generation job mixed with a base level job because 2+1=3 sounds good right?

Now for the Chieftan he was always going to be a special case as he will be the first to use the “dual talisman” assuming we can make it work. Like @2_Zons said some jobs might not be a great “fit” as far as leadership goes but that job is going to be more based on just level and “age” of your tribesman. I think any tribesman that survives long enough to be qualified to equip the Chieftan armor would be viewed as at least an elder of wisdom in the tribe and as such it would make sense to open it up to as many as possible; excluding some for various voodoo related reasons (Tribesman don’t like inventors and tinkerer’s that’s the devils work). The tribesman that becomes the Chieftan won’t lose his current job instead will just impart leadership bonuses to the tribe based on his actual job and will also impart better leadership and coordination if you choose to bring him out with a hunting party. So with that @Paranundrox you nailed it pretty much with where we were taking the Chieftan.

For anyone who actually reads this massive block of text I salute you and will reward everyone with some more voxel work to come tonight!

2 Likes

Also congratulations @Paranundrox for both seeing one of the secret things AND slipping this post in so that I didn’t even see it the other day; like a ninja.

The Chieftan does in fact have a brand new pipe for that scene.
The other secret was Betting Vouchers (two of them) located one each in two of the Villagers hands. (It was probably @Geoffers747 and @Paranundrox with the vouchers)

1 Like

Interesting, interesting. For the chieftan and potentially other things like elders or heros or whatnot what about the idea of utility classes? They’d basically be minor secondary classes that units can take on top of their class, so you could have champion or witch doctor chieftans and different types of elders or anything else as well. As long as they didn’t get out of control it might work.

As for the inheritance stuff how do you deal with multi-generational inheritance? for example the warrior and handler have a kid, and then the kid becomes a rider and has a kid with a warrior. Would the kid be able to access Champion? both it’s parents had some warrior in them, or if they had a kid with a forger could it get bonesmith?

I personally feel that bonesmith would work better with something like leatherworker or witchdoctor than handler, and what would the difference between witchdoctor and shaman be? How are you planning on countering breeding micro with this system? I can fairly easily seeing this start being so that you need to carefully monitor who has kids with who to unlock advanced classes as is.

Anyway that’s just some thoughts on it, there has to be a better tool for the class diagrams as well and I’m looking into stuff for some of my own projects as well.