Something to allow 1 worker to haul many things at once - a wheelbarrow?

Alien Nations had wheelbarrows that could be assigned to carriers, therefore increasing their capacity. But as has been said, the concept is a bit flawed in the SH universe.

• There’s no designated carrier job - every job can carry things, and if it’s only to their workbench. So would a carpenter get a wheelbarrow too to move stuff from/to his workshop?
  • How would level differences work? I mean, due to the voxely nature of the game, you can’t just have a ramp or something similar. Elevators for one block difference seem like an overkill, too.
  • How would wheelbarrows be assigned? Like clothes, i.e. first come first served? Or rather, which isn’t seen yet, some sort of select GUI (aka “Get a wheelbarrow, little chap”)?
  • What would happen if the worker had to abandon his stuff? Right now, if they need to run away quickly, they simply throw the items on the ground. How would that work with wheelbarrows? Do the items just disappear into a pocket dimension (like the trapper)? Does he abandon the wheelbarrow (and somebody else might use it afterwards)?

Those are all questions I’ve asked myself when the idea of Zulser came first up. I’ve opted for conveyor belts, because they effectively allow you to transport lot of items too, but without worrying about all the fine details of the AI.

3 Likes