Share your desktop / laptop / computering space thing!

On that note, I sense a disturbing lack of Voxels on that screen…

3 Likes

@Amlin It is probably the best gaming keyboard you can get for the money. My only issue with it is that it is hard to make it clean looking, the black plastic on the topside by the spacebar always looks dirty unless you hit it with a wet paper towel every five minutes.

Also, the musical controls on the top aren’t lit up. Well, and it is huge.

thanks for the info, doesn’t change my opinion though. I 've looked into it pretty well. The size was one of the draw cards for me, also i like the wrist guard thing. I can live with the “dirty” look it’ll just match my room :wink:
At the moment i just haven’t had the spare funds to purchase one, but as soon as i do… its gonna be good.

Now I’m curious as to how many of us are Radeon guys.

well currently i have a 7870. But i was very fond of my old 6800 Nvidia card.

Same here, I am rocking the GIGABYTE 7870 @ 2gb of DDR5. I would have gone with a cheaper one but when I saw that that model had 3 stock fans and the memory was default overclocked to 1100mhz, I had to grab that 200 dollar deal.

huh well there you go, mine is the 2gb GIGABYTE card as well. Mine was more expensive, (but still the cheapest I could get it in Aus) but it sounds the same.

this entire thread is making me more and more anxious to upgrade “ol bessie”… the rig was cutting edge… back when Oblivion hit the scene…

le sigh

2 Likes

i went from a Pentium 4 that i purchased in 2006, to a custom built i5 that i built back in April. Its soooooo worth it

1 Like

I went from using a Dual Core Athlon with ATI 3000M graphics to my FX8350 and R9 290X. [quote=“SteveAdamo, post:49, topic:3349”]
anxious to upgrade
[/quote]

What CPU you using? You may only need a GPU upgrade unless you’re looking to upgrade the whole thing.

Nice, very nice :smile:

vacuum tubes…

no, i’ve breathed enough life into this monstrosity over the years (3 GPUs, 2 PSUs and… a few memory sticks?)… i needs me a new hotness…

1 Like

@SteveAdamo have you given any though as too what system you might get ?

i had it fairly well planned out about 6 months ago, but enough “things” have changed to warrant a completely new design… i have decided i’m not building it this time however…

i’m leaning towards a boutique to build it for me (cyber power, falcon, etc.)… im certainly open to any suggestion for the big three components though… processor, memory and gpu… :wink:

im also torn between having an SSD as my primary partition… and potentially just leveraging a massive 6TB external drive to house all backups and extraneous content…

well arguably the best processor at the moment is something of the i7 variety, but ultimately you can still make a decent Amd system. I haven’t really kept up with the shifts in technology after April this year so much has likely changed. Hopefully someone more versed than I can offer some sound advice.

Fully Upgraded, 27", i7 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, and 1440p!

Making a PC is definitely based on what you want to use it for, intel is better than amd performance wise but amd is hands down a much better option for price or if you want to use integrated graphics.
The gpu market is fairly wide open at the moment, all I have to say is if you go down the amd R road then don’t get a stock cooler on it as they can be reminiscent of a hairdryer.
Also get an ssd if you can, it is just a really nice thing to have for windows and important programs and games coughstonehearthcough. I could go on but I won’t for the benefit of everyone.

2 Likes

Oooh, I was wondering when a Mac would come into this thread!

If you’re looking for something cost effective the new Kaveri APU from AMD is supposed to blow anything out of the water as far as a single CPU/GPU solution is concerned. They’re pulling out the Steamroller Architecture and are boasting more GPU power than a 7750 which is a lot when you’re talking about integrated graphics.(Edit note: Yes I know an APU is note really integrated in the classic sense but it’s a 53% CPU 47% GPU split) They also say it’s supposed to be very power efficient some models in the 1-5W range (notebooks) and some more beefy (75W).

Personally I’m biased and prefer AMD because it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg on the CPU side and GPU side I still go red as I’ve always had great results with ATI/AMD. Intel does make better processors but are generally more expensive and for every CPU you need a new board while AMD reuses its sockets though FM2+ and AM3+ are nearing the end of their lives.

My recommendation is nail your budget down first. I’d recommend you build it anyhow but I know some people would prefer not to deal with the hassle.

1 Like