Robo(t) Mod by chimeforest

@chimeforest, awesome work, so this is the worker thingy that can move stuff? AAAWWEEESOOOMME

fear notā€¦ you certainly seem to be on the right track with the mod! ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ no pressure, of courseā€¦ :smile:

wow, that dialogue sounds fairly reminiscent of a typical conversation between myself and @Geoffers747 ā€¦ i leave it to you all to decide who says whatā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It could be! He currently doesnā€™t work(I guess thatā€™s part of the joke =P)
He just sorta stands there looking cute, occasionally flapping itā€™s arms or looking at you sideways.

Iā€™m not sure if I like the modelā€¦ but itā€™s growing on me, still, Iā€™m going to see what else I can make.

of course not ^^;

1 Like

Have you made robots craftable? Like the first could be wooden automatons. Then stone, metal, stardust, etc.

I have made them craftable after a sort. Itā€™s not in the public release yet because I need to work out some of the coding and animations still. Right now the current progression will be stone golem ==> metal golem ==> fully fledged robo-citizen. Though I do like the sound of stardustā€¦

Just noticed that I hadnā€™t noticed this thread. So to comment on some of the stuff mentioned here.
First note: Microchips and most computer parts are completely impossible in the setting as they require a level of technology that basically requires modern infrastructure and robots even more so.

Tiers of replication of class could work, go with the magic/machine hybrid. a race of sapient golems though is much more believable. They might start by simple golems of stone or wood that can only access basic classes but after improvements they might get more refined golems that can get more advanced classes and are made of things like metal or magic crystals. Let them upgrade themselves as it progresses to avoid the need to dispose of units. Use things like wood as a rudimentary fuel, the extraction of energy from food is actually very complex. An alternative system would be have the robo-replicator class focus on building the magic robot cores and basic parts and have different classes for advanced parts.

Use a different set of classes entirely as a lot of the normal ones will be useless to golems/robots. They donā€™t need clothes or chairs or anything like that so most of the benefit from them will be missing. Focus the classes more on infrastructure and parts development, maybe you could have the carpenterā€™s specialize in rudimentary wood based upgrades, things like a wooden base to allow them to float on water or bows or something.

The attributes look cool, just to suggest some alternative ideas in case they inspire something maybe something like Hardware instead of Hull as a more general form that sounds like it would apply to things like chainsaw arms instead of just armour. Maybe a background of binary for the software? or play up the magic aspect more and have it be a bunch of made up runes. As for the third what if you do something more magic related? Youā€™ve got hardware and software as body and mind replacements and you did say they were part magical, giving them a stat to approximate spirit that is more magical aligned could help with that.

Iā€™m perfectly willing to try and help with the code if you want it. I tend to be more motivated when helping for some reason.

Youā€™ve got some good ideas, I suppose since Iā€™m almost cured of sickness, itā€™s about time I straighten out some of the logical mishaps, lol. I do think most of it will stay the same thoughā€¦ maybeā€¦
Lets seeā€¦

Iā€™ve definitely already decided Iā€™m going with the magical/machine hybrid. They are like golems, but more advanced. Golems(in my mind) are basically slaves to whomever created them, very few, if any, actually achieve a higher level. The robos are more of companions to humans rather than slaves. At the time that this group of robos got stranded on stonehearth, humans and robos were almost, if not actually, at equal social standing. And as such they have developed some very human tendancies.

I do like the idea of them being able to be upgraded! Iā€™ll definitely add that to the todo list.

I am going to keep berries and other organic foods as the fuel, there is a reason humans and race cars donā€™t run on wood ^^ But mostly Iā€™m keeping it because itā€™s what feels right to me. Like an inspiration intuition.

I am definitely going to add robo specific classes.
Depending on what all the classes stonehearth ends up with, I may or may not use many of them. However I believe that many of them(with a few modifications) can be applicable to the robos. Robos donā€™t NEED clothes or chairs or beds or pillows, but neither do humans. We donā€™t need to have them, we just like to have them, and so do robos, They are very human in nature even if they look very different (kind of like #5 from Short Circuit). Remember, up until the crash they lived side by side helping humans. So while they may not need to knit, or saw wood, or shepard sheep, they like to because itā€™s similar to what they did with the humans.

For attributes I tried to pick stuff that seemed similar to the original stonehearth, but would make sense for a robot.
Body is how tough humans are, which is what a hull does for a robot. The mind, or brain is how a person thinks, how much info they can store or handle at once, which would relate to circuits in a robot. And Spiritā€¦ spirit was a tough one, I chose software because it seemed to fit. Humans do have software of a sort. Itā€™s part of why we do what we do when sometimes we donā€™t know the answer, why do we try to be better? Why do we try to find a higher being/purpose? Why do we believe that there is something beyond the stars? Because itā€™s part of who we are as humans, part of our source code, we canā€™t see it, or know how it works anymore than a robot could, but we know itā€™s thereā€¦ I guess thatā€™s why software seemed the best choice, if you look at it like that.
So, Hull, Circuits, and Software fit for robots, however, they are no longer robots, are they? They are robos. Iā€™ll have to give the attributes another lookā€¦ especially circuits, but thatā€™s kinda low on the priority list at this point. Itā€™s ā€œgood enoughā€ for now.

I could use some help with coding, lua is a foreign language to me. Right now though, the development of this mod is very sporadic, since Iā€™m fitting it in between work and social obligations. Iā€™m doing things as I feel like doing them and thatā€™s not always the order in which they should be done. For instance, this evening I started modeling the charging stations, when I should really be reanimating the stone golem worker and meddling with itā€™s code(Iā€™ll probably wait until I have a full day off from work to mess with it =/).
So, if you think you can stand me and my artistic craziness, Iā€™d welcome your help =]

Bonus Material for Everyone: This is how I envision the Gem which floats above the roboā€™s heads. Most of the roboā€™s bodies are made of the same material inside a metal casing to protect it. I made it hastily in windows paint b/c I was inspired by @Xavionā€¦ somehow it equated to magical gem circuits? I wish I could show it as a .gif with the magical sparks running along the outside, but I need to get some sleep ^^;

P.S. This is what I did today instead of finishing the charging stations, instead of working on the stone golem ^^;

3 Likes

YES SHORT CIRCUIT SOMEBODY ELSE LIKES IT TOO

And also, that gem stuff should be a minable resource or something.

I really liked the first one =D
The second one wasā€¦ veryā€¦ so so, at best =/

My original idea was to have a Gem-Finder classā€¦ You would give it amount of stone and it would have a [Y]% of finding a gem in it by smashing the stone with a sledge hammer =P
Gems found this way could be polished by a Gem-Polisher to enhance their magical qualities.
Finally, a Gem-Programmer could refine the gem even more producing a Life-Crystal.

I am not sure if I will stick with this method because: A) I donā€™t yet know how mining and ores will work, and B) In the stock-pile menu there is a icon of a gem/diamond, and Iā€™m not entirely sure what thatā€™s aboutā€¦

My envisioning of the charging stations.

Mean, Comfy, Stone, and Metal

Sleeping Robos

6 Likes

I think it was required viewing during the 80sā€¦

as for the chargers, looks great! apologies I youā€™ve already mentioned this, but who will be crafting these?

If they are the replacing models for the beds, Iā€™d reckon it would be the carpenter-bot

1 Like

I havenā€™t mentioned yet, @Ghost is correct. Carpenter-bot(love the name) will construct the first two. The stonemason will craft the 3rd, and Iā€™m thinking of the smith for the final metal one.

3 Likes

Blooper #1

Iā€™m not sure whyā€¦ but I find this to be super creepy =[

In other news,
An update is on the way! =D

7 Likes

secondedā€¦ those dead eyes seem to follow me no matter where i moveā€¦ :smile:

hooray! :clap:

paging @Avairian, as he was trying to import his new head models, which if looks like youā€™ve pulled off here as wellā€¦

1 Like

Haha thanks Steve. Iā€™ve already figured it out however. Just had to override the male_1.json and make sure the file links were in the proper format. :smile: [quote=ā€œchimeforest, post:54, topic:5070ā€]
Blooper #1
[/quote]
Ahhh did someone forget to override/incorrectly override the worker model? ;)[quote=ā€œchimeforest, post:54, topic:5070ā€]
but I find this to be super creepy
[/quote]
Watch yourself Chimeforest, they are evolving! Soon they will be real boys and girls and will take over the universe! :fearful:

1 Like

Lol, I didnā€™t forget. Iā€™m adding stuff one by one so when an error pops up i know what caused it. I just didnā€™t expect it to look so creepy >. <

Wasnā€™t there a movie which had that as itā€™s theme? Robots start replacing kids and try to take over?

They took over their bodies!!!

=O That must be it! :scream:

Update to v0.03 for r34!

Added: Charging Stations
Added: Berry Descriptions

Also here is a sneak preview of what the weaver will probably look like once it gets added:

Itā€™s knitting needles =P

3 Likes