My Opinion of the price

To be Honest, I think that 27$ for steam is a bit overpriced, I know it is early access though. How much will it cost on steam when its out? (I hope its somewhere about 10$)

hey there @Tyler13700 welcome to the discourse :smile:

i changed the category from suggestions into community feedback as it seemed more fitting. though i myself cant say what the final price will be, i’ll page some of the devs to see if they can answer your question,

@sdee @yshan @Albert, if you’re allowed, could you give the estimated price of the finished game?

3 Likes

from what I heard, both early access and final release will be $25. to ask for it to be $10 is way too much. seriously. what’s currently available is alpha. there are 2 early stages - alpha and beta. alpha is where everything is built, beta is where everything’s already built, and just gets fixed and has the bugs squished so when it’s released in full there are as few issues as possible. if you’re basing that $10 on what is available right now, I could understand, but what’s available now is nowhere near what will be available on final release. please keep that and the amount of work put into the game when thinking of a price.

if I come off as hostile, sorry, but I’ve already had to deal with a bunch of people complaining back when the game was still being pitched, claiming it should be free, or super cheap (like $10), even though what would eventually be released would be more fun than triple A games that people shell out $60 for and then never play. I’d say that right now, the game is more fun than those triple A games, and it’s nowhere near finished. there were a lot of people who were unwilling to pay a fair price for a fair product, even going so far as to claim that people arguing to reevaluate their cost were simply the devs in disguise or were payed by the devs. after seeing that sorry sight, I’m a bit short when people start undercutting devs what they’re due. not that I’m saying you’re undercutting them… sorry, I just don’t want to see that mess again. it’s not fair to the players who’ve supported this game, and, more importantly, it’s not fair to the devs who’re making the game for you, so please keep your opinions on pricing fair.

I’m gonna leave this thread, just in case. I already feel like I’m coming off as overly hostile, and if I continue in here it’ll likely get worse.

8 Likes

@Ridesdragons though you do make a good point, and i agree completely with it, i just want to point out that the game used to be $30-ish before steam EA, so TR might drop the price again for beta and on-wards…

just thought i should toss that out there…

1 Like

well looks like im not getting it… :frowning: im really limited to my steam wallet so im not going to be able to spend the rest of all my limited steam money on it.

if you have plenty of games on steam, you can try selling collectables you don’t care about. trading cards generally range anywhere from $.10 to a dollar or 2 (or higher in some rarer cases), and you get 4-5 of those with almost every steam game. there’s also collectables from games like team fortress and counterstrike, if you cared enough to earn them and sell them. doing this should earn you a few dollars and might put you in range of simply borrowing a few bucks to buy it. you can also put it in your wishlist and hope someone buys it for you. I’m looking at the steam price right now and it’s $25 (I don’t know where you got that 27 from), and that’s only $15 away from what I’m assuming you have right now.

although I said I’d leave, I can see that your reason for asking was because you want to buy it but don’t have the money, and I can relate to that (I had the same case with EBF4 on steam release). you weren’t complaining about the price, or suggesting an absurd low-ball price, but rather hoping that the price would enter within your buying range. while it’s unfortunate that you’re unable to buy it right now, I can say that it will definitely be worth it. and besides, the final release is still a long ways away. you’ll likely be able to scrounge up $25 by the time the game is released. you can get double that with a single trip to a nearby plasma donation center. if you want to get some quick money, I suggest trying that (though that depends on whether you’re able to donate, not all people are able to, and it does take a long time).

4 Likes

hey there @Tyler13700! the price is currently $24.99, and oddly enough, I cant recall the details from previous discussions around a “final” price, post public release… if I had to wager, the price will not fluctuate much…

as has been suggested though, perhaps you can sell some items on Steam to make up the difference? good luck! :+1:

4 Likes

its $25 USD which is roughly $27 CAD :wink:

3 Likes

Sell some of your old Games/ CD’s/ Movies (boxed that is) that you no longer Play/ Listen/ Watch and purchase a steam gift card with it? Find a few ppl to cut their lawns? Winters coming up shovel some driveways? If you drive and have a car… Uber? Designated driver? Watch someones kids for a couple hours? This is not a cut or a slam (because I have no clue your age or situation), If you really need some quick cash money there are plenty of quick things you could do, you just need to find it…

Personally I think The Dev’s deserve every cent they can get, They are programming everything themselves, No store bought assets, Game Engines, AI, even the tools they use are theirs. Sure they use other software and such (most you can get for free), but they are doing all the core stuff and putting it together. They don’t have a Unity/ UR-E4 database to slap everything together. They had to make their own.
They even take their time and (literally) teach Tuesday/ Wednesday/ Thursday, for free. The Current price is nominal for all the free Learning everybody is receiving (just My opinion). Anyhow hope you get it eventually it’s worth the money.

…At the very least it might be worth to watch the live streams. A lot of the stuff they teach can be directly used for quite a few games. You could even be the Next big thing! With the knowledge they are giving out (or at least Take some of your older games and make them better for you).

4 Likes

i hope it goes on sale also i have about 30 dollars steam money but i want to save it for less expensive things

it most likely wont go on sale during alpha stages, perhaps not even until final release.

3 Likes

really? ah ok i hope it eventually has a sale though

2 Likes

I would not buy it if I was you right now, to many bugs etc. It is fun but not worth the money atm for some one who wants a game to actually play a lot though I am sure you could.

This is a game I’d gladly pay $40 for. I understand that the economics of the game market no longer allow for most game developers to be paid what their work is worth, and Steam has turned everyone into a bargain bin buyer with all the crazy sales, but $25 is more than fair, and a downright bargain considering the amount of fun you’ll have with it when it’s released, even without comparing it to $60 and $70 AAA titles that you’ll get 10 hours out of if you’re lucky.

4 Likes

60$ is overpriced for a steam game… i hope its going to be within a good reasonable price range so i can get it… i have 29.97 steam moneyz but i might not have that later

we mentioned $60 because currently any game that is being sold by certain companies, no matter how terrible, enter the market with that price tag. those are the “Triple A” games. these games cost way more than normal and are worth less entertainment than normal, but because of the “designer tag”, they get eaten up every year. among the more casual gamers (casual as in they play games occasionally and don’t really look at the market, not gamers who play casual games), triple A games are typically held in high regard, but among the more involved gamers, the name “Triple A” is used in spite, as a derogatory term. it’s pretty much the same thing as “mainstream” - overhyped, underperformed. as such, when a good game comes around, people will compare the game to “triple A” games, because everyone knows about triple A games and their ridiculous pricing. that doesn’t mean that the games will then be sold for $60, most likely stonehearth will remain at the same price (at least that’s what I remember hearing before). the general behaviour of games upon advancing to the final release is a small increase in pricing, and IF that were to happen, the highest the price would raise to is $35. raises of over $10 are typically unheard of. also, the price will not decrease below $25 (it’s not fair to the people who supported the game). this is true across the board, as the flak the company would receive for pulling such a move would prove too terrible for the company to stay afloat. there was a game on kickstarter that cost A LOT (I think it was some absurd price for a copy of the game, like $80 or something like that, possibly even higher), because the cost of making such a game was absurdly high. when the game finally released, they continue with that pricing - not because they’re greedy for money, but because they wanted to maintain the support of their backers. they steadily lowered the price after a while to a much more reasonable level. as you would suspect, the initially high price actually hurt their sales, but because they didn’t receive any flak for forsaking their backers, they survived through the development until they could lower their pricing.

stonehearth’s cost is low, especially for what the game is worth (it’s easily worth $40, but they chose $25). while the cost won’t decrease until long after the final release (games that are fairly priced and have continued development do not lower their price, just look at minecraft, which still costs $25. it will likely remain that way until development ends. living games just so happen to have a very long shelf-life), even if it were to increase, it would be easily manageable, and won’t be too expensive.

4 Likes

Where I live, it costs $25 for a single adult movie ticket. That’s less than 2 hours of entertainment. God forbid you drove to the theater and need to park.

For the 40ish hours I’ve already put into the game and the (probably) hundreds more I’ll put into it when it’s released, $25 is a steal.

5 Likes

I pity you. Where I live, it costs less than $25 for 3 adult movie tickets (although closer to the middle of the city it can cost more). It’s hard to judge someone based on price when things vary so much across the entire world.

2 Likes

so if i buy early access… 1: will it be cheaper in full release? and 2: if i buy it in early access will i be able to keep it when it gets released instead of having to buy it again?

you buy it now, you keep it. you don’t have to rebuy it. it’s highly, highly unlikely that the price will drop at all upon final release. it’s much more likely that it will increase, instead, but from what I’ve heard the price will most likely remain the same now as upon release.

just keep in mind that if you buy it now, you’re not buying a game. the game is in Alpha, so not everything is together yet, and stuff is still up in the air as to how it will develop. it’s technically playable, but not nearly as playable as if it were in beta or finally released. for the most part, your job would be to find as many bugs as possible and report them. when the game is released, you’ll have the game, but that’s not for a while. but if you are willing to buy it now and play it every now and then, that would help with finding and squashing bugs. and who knows, maybe one of your suggestions might make it into the game as well.

3 Likes