More lights from Mel (and other modelling stuff)

I’ve not added it to the mod yet, but I’d like to make both versions. Evil green version can also have some paint on it to make it feel 20% more evil.
All of that if I pull myself together :upside_down:

I also feel there’s not enough love for wood and clay as it’s a more “early” tech for both races. Haven’t figured out yet what would be lights from these like.

2 Likes

I’d like to point out that on the latest build, the light stays on during the day.

Otherwise excellent mod.

Intentional. I often use lights in mineshafts and don’t need them to turn off during the day.
If you’d like the lights to follow the usual game logic, it’s quite easy to edit. For example, for a torch, go to mods\lodewall-lights\entities\decoration\wall_torch, open wall_torch.json and find these strings:
“light_effect”: “/lodewall-lights/data/effects/wall_torch_effect”,
“light_policy”: “always_on”

If you delete the second string and the comma before it, the torch will turn into the usual light that goes off during the day.

Edit: I suppose I’ll change it in the next release so that only mining lamps and fire sources like torches remain permanently lit.

1 Like

Some refs to remember what I was looking into.
Still searching for good wood lantern refs.

4 Likes

Another note for self.

1. Remodel, recolor and rename iron lamp/lantern to copper/brass/bronze. Fledermaus. Provide a direct progression and more use for early metals.
  2. More love for tin (pewter cups?)
  3. More love for clay - see refs.
  4. Copper/bronze/brass Rayya-styled lamps. See refs.
  5. Bioluminescence lamps (firefly? jellyfish? luminiscent mushrooms?) for both Rayyas and Ascendants.
  6. Still need more refs for wooden lanterns as I’m not nearly satisfied with what I have - there is no distinctive style looking good in voxels.
2 Likes

No rest for the engineer!
A reminder: I post alpha models several days before actually adding them in the mod. Final versions can differ a bit from these. If you have interesting suggestions or feel there’s something missing/off and you know exactly what it is, don’t hesitate! I like discussions :wink:

Keeper! Our forgemasters reported that since lamps now mysteriously require copper instead of iron, they devised a new iron lantern design. This time, more simple (with more dangerous open fire).

Feel this one needs more thought. The lantern blends with the hook, there’s not enough contrast/color difference. Perhaps I’ll change it to wooden beam in the final version.

While potters’ success was less… impressive, they have introduced a candle in a pot. Why an idea of putting wax in place of a flower took them this much time remains a mystery.

I actually want to make different variations of this. Does anyone know if SH supports several versions of an item beyond normal/fine?

Finally, fresh from the forges, another iron lantern, this time on a chain.

I’m curious about how will these actually look with particle/lighting/shadow effects.

PS. Models used for reference belong to bitgem: http://bitgem.deviantart.com/art/3D-Pixel-Dungeon-Deco-Set-01-375070128

9 Likes

these are all quite lovely, i especially love that one on the chain.

i really need to start playing again so i can use your mod!

as far as i’m aware stonehearth doesn’t, and because of that (being as awesome as he is) @Drotten actually made a “randomized crafting” script for me awhile back, he probably wouldn’t mind you using it too.

(i would suggest PM’ing him about it)

4 Likes

Woah! @8BitCrab to the rescue! I haven’t even got to call for help :astonished:
Thanks! PMd him right away.

2 Likes

Crab tends to do that. It’s awesome :slight_smile:

@8BitCrab Hmmm. While digging files I’ve stumbled upon a droppable goblin badge trophy and remembered it actually has two model variants: long stake and short stake. Since the game should somehow tie two different qb files together, I started digging the corresponding ghost.json file and found this:

“model_variants”: {
“default”: {
“models”: [
{
“type”: “one_of”,
“items”: [
“file(skull_trophy.qb)”,
“file(skull_trophy_alt.qb)”
]
}

I don’t like saying “Gotcha” before performing a complete analysis, but… Gotcha?
Guess it’s worth trying.

1 Like

well i didn’t become a Senior Support Crab for nothing :wink:

oh… uh… thanks :blush:

oh, thats for when placing the item itself, when you asked earlier i thought you meant for the recipe

3 Likes

So it basically does… what? Randomly assigns a model from the list to an in-game item? When does it happen - on creating/dropping the item or on its placing? (in other words, will the item change its model every time it’s redeployed/moved)
I think I’ll find good use for both this trick and the script you’ve mentioned. Small variations can be applied with this trick. Significantly different models, on the other hand, are better applied with the script to “fix” their appearance for the whole duration of the game.

1 Like

i have not a clue, in fact i’m not even sure the goblin tokens still use both model variants…

i’m not the code guy, so that would be another question for Drotten…

2 Likes

Drotten has answered. Things start clearing up in my head. Basically, if you want the item to use different models, invoking “one_of” incantation in the “models” section is enough. But if you want an item to “lock” its model on creation you need Drotten’s script. It should be called in the manifest during mod initialization and handles the same “one_of” listing (which basically is an array of values in json), but placed in the recipe in “produces” section.

Perhaps someone else will find it useful. I feel such knowledge would look good in the wiki, but I’m already writing one for an unrelated project and just a tiny bit lazy to do it myself. Maybe I’ll do it after all so anyone else can use the knowledge without sifting through Discourse topics.

3 Likes

Those are verry nice :smiley:

It just got hotter in here.
Originally a paper lantern, I decided to make it craftable from wood and thread.

Stolen from one curvacious khajiit.

Steel handheld carbide lantern, version 2. I’m more happy with this one, I guess it’ll make its way into the mod (although I need more tinkering if I decide to make “handheld” more than a name).

The real prototype for this one is a German bakelite carbide lantern of 1940-s.

Another iron “knob” lantern. Haven’t decided on the iron part; I feel like material progression should show in design as much as in color. Kerosene-like lamps will be good in brass, tin or copper. Not sure about this one, though.

Aaaand another handheld iron lantern, this time for making signals. Imagine a lighthouse keeper or a train mechanic with this one and you won’t be far from truth.

Reference: German Army railroad lantern of 1940-s.

4 Likes

A little cute guy I’m trying to animate right now. The name’s Rock Borer.

Trying to understand how it should move and bite (according to my plan it’s a melee monster that randomly digs out in your tunnels and scares the crap out of your workers).
I’m not happy with the coloring. Any help here?

5 Likes

hmm… i checked around but couldn’t find any good reference videos for what i imagine it to move like…

ugh… i’ve always hated sandworm type enemy’s… would this guy be exclusive to the desert?

i would go with a more tan coloring for it, if it’s “desert exclusive” creature… if its for all biomes, i think maybe adding in small bits of grey might help…?

1 Like

Why is that? :imp: I don’t intend him to be invisible, just unburrow-able (have no idea how to do it).
I haven’t decided yet if I want to make two recolored versions for different biomes or one biome-specific.

Really nice lights :smiley:
So much needed for a cozy village! <3

1 Like