More lights from Mel (and other modelling stuff)

I’d settle for The Masticator. lols

1 Like

Finalizing the collection. Steel torch:

Steel torch holder (tall).

Iron torch:

Also, inspired by paper lantern by @Kittyofdoom (I’m going to include it in the mod, too), are lanterns of fine craftsmanship from the Far East.

Table paper lantern

Still thinking on it. Maybe it will be better to move the frame to the outside.

and tall paper lantern

drawn from the reference I posted earlier.

I feel like my hunger for wooden lanterns is quelled… for now. Adding all these lights to the game will take more time than modelling them. The next update is going to be big :wink:

7 Likes

you could give it little tentacles to pull things into its mouth

Tentacles are hard to animate. However you gave me another idea.

Perhaps something like big claws would be appropriate.

Screen is from Forge Quest.

1 Like

Forge Quest? Never heard of that o.o Is it available on Steam or?

yep, its on steam,

i looked at getting that game awhile, back but the ratings/reviews were mostly negative… apparently more people have decided the games not so bad since then though…

1 Like

Ayep.
It’s a simple, short and straightforward roguelike about the Chicken of Doom. No digging, no building, so it’s clearly not for everyone. Still it’s quite funny, and I draw inspiration wherever I can :smiley:

PS. I long to find my dream game, something of a mix between voxel building sandbox and clever RPG, but alas, there are no such games. At least now.

1 Like

You familiar with Planet Explorers? Or Creativerse?

1 Like

I haven’t yet looked into Planet Explorers, but it’s on my monitor. Creativerse, I tried but found it a little bit too bland. The same problems as in Minecraft - lack of a goal, no magic and no ranged weapons (and no engineering/machinery on top of that).
I have picked a thing or two from Creativerse, actually, as the next thing I’d like to try is to create something akin to Arctec lanterns for Stonehearth. It’s currently my main idea for “top-tier stone magic thingey lights”.

Voxelnauts are cancelled as far as I know.
Boundless is not so much of a game yet, according to player feedback.
SkySaga looks promising but is currently in closed alpha and invitations are not available in my country.
No Man’s Sky is not yet released (even in Beta), so I have no idea what it’ll be like.
Terraria is wonderful, but I’ve played it through and through and look for something new. Currently my hopes are high for Starbound as they are slowly approaching the release of 1.0. It’s not voxel since it’s 2D but still close and very promising.

As for voxel city management, Stonehearth currently stands unchallenged. It’s very mod-friendly.

A first attempt at modelling stone lights.

Glowspark Lanterns are considered to be a mystery. The secret of their craft is closely guarded by experienced stonecutters. Some say even the masons themselves don’t fully understand how it works. All that is known for sure is that an essential part of any glowspark lantern is silver electrodes used to generate a high-energy arc. No one ever claimed to fully know its nature, giving more proof to the saying of old, “to an unskilled eye, true craftsmanship and magic are one and the same thing”.

Inspired by Arctec lamps from Creativerse.

4 Likes

No Man’s Sky is now available on Steam lmao for $66.49 CND. Creativerse has has so much more added to it, lately. Farming, harvesting lava and other liquids, other recipes. I’ve never bothered with Minecraft xD Or any of the other games you mentioned either. Can’t afford No Man’s Sky, atm, and it’s one of the main games I want. :smiley: I love the Arctec lamps from Creativerse. I think you did a great job :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Deathbysnusnu, post:51, topic:21288”]Creativerse has has so much more added to it, lately. Farming, harvesting lava and other liquids, other recipes.[/quote] Pesky Muru drive me nuts. I’m playing solo and currently stuck and can’t get to iron. There’s that huge hall I can’t get through, they somehow always come suddenly and in packs, and putting any new torch becomes a challenge I never wanted it to be in the first place.
Also, I really miss engineering from Terraria/Starbound. Opening and closing doors, water pumps, defensive turrets etc. There’s practically no fluid physics (to be accurate, all fluid behaviour is derived from Minecraft). That’s something I look forward to seeing in Stonehearth - I liked water/lava physics in Terraria, even more so in Dig or Die (it’s basically built around controlling water flow) and I really hope Stonehearth will be another good example. As soon as Radiant gets to water programming.

I’ve meant it’s not released yet. And yes, the price is currently crazy.

[quote=“Deathbysnusnu, post:51, topic:21288”]
I love the Arctec lamps from Creativerse. I think you did a great job ^__[1] Wait 'til I add some particles ontop of that :sweat_smile:

1. /quote ↩︎

1 Like

[quote=“MelOzone, post:49, topic:21288”]
SkySaga looks promising but is currently in closed alpha and invitations are not available in my country.[/quote]
Well, I managed to circumvent the IP block. It raises its own problems, but… I’m sunk neck-deep in the game. It’s in early stage currently, but I would describe it as “Portal Knights done right”. Lots of collectables and recipes, prototyping construction blueprints, disassembling and reassembling gear… and a very catchy style.
I’ve already picked some ideas for even more lights for SH from SkySaga. Hope I’ll get to making them eventually and hope they will turn out as cool as I imagine them.

Funny thing: a company developing SkySaga is Radiant, too (Radiant Worlds to be precise). Although unlike Radiant Ent., they are based in the UK.

2 Likes

I hope you get this thing to work, I had been thinking about a critter like being in the game. Especially when they release the dwarf race. A whole slew of underground minion would keep things interesting

Not lights. Definitely not lights.
So I’ve decided to put the lights away and take a break for a while. And - there you go. Not lights. Obviously.

A variation of an eastern-styled pine chair.
Shamelessly ripped off SkySaga.

A wooden balustrade. Because picket fences are so outdoorish.
Also ripped off SkySaga.

Solid stone balustrade for solid builders. If you ever wondered what could this “blunt heavy object” from police reports be, wonder no more.
Suddenly, not ripped off SkySaga.

I’m currently thinking about another mod for not lights. Of course, I can throw everything into one big file. But keeping it modular seems a better idea - not everyone could want all of these things at once. Gonna roll this thought around in my head.

3 Likes

The new steel torch.

And this is the old one.

Steel sounds to be an upgrade from iron, but I liked iron torch more. Decided to fix that. I also felt that chaos surrounding the mount plate was not good, so there is a new steel-styled plaque I’m going to standartize.
This one, while obscured, has a “brazier-like” feeling I happen to be more happy with.

Edited:
Aaaand more lights.
Glowspark beacon. This one is heavy.

Inspired by SkySaga.

Stone chandelier.

Also heavily insired by SkySaga. Originally metal/wood, I’ve decided stone fits it better.

2 Likes

Guys and gals! My fellow stonehearthians! I need YOUR help!
Since there is now an Engineer spec in SH, I’ve decided to add some things I had in mind for a very long time. However, I’m currently very dissatisfied with my coloring skills.

This is a new brass lantern. I cannot recreate the effect I need: I want it to look like a neon gas lamp. Something like this:

Here is the Magica vox file:
lamp_engineer.zip (1.5 KB)
Can you help me?

PS. I also assume there will be a problem with lighting, so any help with that would also be appreciated. My understanding of editing lights is very… basic.

3 Likes

I’ve begun slowly incorporating my bunch of models into the mod, the first being the stone candle holder. This update is currently on GH only.
Also, created a tall stone candelabra. Not very different from the small one, so no screenshots.
Anyway, discovered there were some changes in tags for entities. I’ve detected a new “stockpile_decoration” tag on many of them. Does anyone has any ideas what this one does?
I know tags are basically used for stockpile sorting, but most other tags are self-explanatory.

1 Like

Unrelated update.

How the water can be made in voxels. Not exactly what I had in mind for Stonehearth, but still…

Sigh, I managed an awesome effect with MagicaVoxel, but I have NO idea how to save/export it, if I ever can…

Just so you can see how I managed it;

Render settings:

Under that layer is:

Render settings:

And, final effect, as was visible in the first render:

But I don’t know if/how to export transparency settings, or if the game would even respect them… pity :unamused:

1 Like