[Mod] Arcanism V 0.1.1 - Conjuration: Creation

Sounds fantastic espacially two points in your description:

1. Ranged combat because up to now there is none
  2. Secondary workshop (if i understood that correct), i also thought of that after i have seen the cook cooking flour instead of using a handmill

Ok if your workshop part of the arcanist is completed i would be thankfull to maybe cross reference him to my druid which will use sand, glas, herbs, gems and so on to create potions. Maybe the arcanist would be a good source for crafting materials necessary for this. Up to now the mason must do the job to craft sand out of stone …
But i will add no scenario in this mod because creating a general mod is to much for me by now.

1 Like

Hey,

That might be a bit difficult as it can cause complications with people install only your mod and getting a bunch of errors, unless you do something like put a link to this mod and say that it’s required (in which case I put a link here about your mod :smile: ). Other than that, go crazy! If you’re ambitious, try creating your own custom classes! It does require some modifying of lua code, but its nothing more than copying over something like blacksmith.lua, opening it up and replacing everything that says “Blacksmith” with “ClassName”. Once I get home from work today I’ll focus on getting a tutorial up (which might be hard to understand. I’m not the best teacher :P), so look out for that I guess!

Edit: As for Ranged Combat, I don’t think I can implement that until there’s real ranged combat in game, which is sad. I’ll be able to implement the quarterstsffs functionality once I figure out how animation works, which shouldn’t be too difficult.

The same, unfortunately, goes for multiple workshops. TR has that in the pipeline, though, so hopefully it’ll be done in a month or so, with Alpha 12. The way crafter’s work is tied to a single bench, so its currently impossible to have a class go to two places to craft. Soon, though! Hopefully.

2 Likes

Hey there guys!

Just wanted to make a quick post that I have created a Roadmap for Arcanism with some shiny new pixel art! It can be viewed on the top post a bit under the main picture. The only reason its not embedded is because it’s too large haha. Take a look!

-Spoolicus

2 Likes

Hey there guys! Today’s been a busy day. I’ve been sketching out basic ideas for a research system i would like to add to this class once we gain access to multiple workshops. (Alpha 12, I think. Around a month or two from now, but it doesn’t hurt to plan!) And what I came up with was kinda interesting, at least to me. So, let’s talk (briefly) about Research!

The Research tree will be implemented kind of like how the promotion tree is now. At the bottom is some basic starting knowledge, which gives access to research in the first place, as well as Galanosium Essence. However, in order for the Arcanist to do more than twiddle his thumbs, the carpenter must craft him a Research Station (name pending). This Research Station opens up a whole host of new possibilities for the Arcanist. In the beginning stages however, he can only begin researching Rudimentary Wandcraft. To do this the Carpenter builds him an Arcane Focus Table and the Arcanist tries to craft a Simple Galanosium Wand , and after a few failures he gets it right, and the research is unlocked. For wands with different Foci and eventually Staffs as well, he must repeat this process. So on and so forth for other craftable items. For the non-craftable, such as buffs against different monsters by doing lore reserarch, the Arcanist need only spend some time searching his tomes.

Eventually in the Arcanist’s studies he’ll come across new and exciting ways of using magic to hi and the civilization’s benefit, such as Golemancy, Artificing, maybe even Necromancy (Hey! Necromancers can be good!) at some point. My question is, is there a better way to implement this kind of tech tree so as not to be too cumbersome/ I don’t want to just level lock these idea, you know? I want it to feel like the Arcanist is actually learning stuff. What are you guys’ opinions on this system? Thoughts, comments, concerns?

1 Like

You could make it kind of like a workshop. As the arcanist studies, he produces items that represent his studies. The existence of an item in the world allows further studies in that branch of the tree.

The items don’t even need to be something you can interact with in the game, although they could be. Would make some nice furniture.

1 Like

How about a combination of crafter and farmer / trapper? Research could be done via “searching” for something in a pre-defined atea (like the trapper). You could define e.g. some elements he needs to “master”. If you want him to master “water”, you define a searchable area around water… for “nature” you put it aroubd some trees, etc… Progress could still be random or by “researching” enough and unlocking incredients or items like that.

1 Like

@Tuhalu, this is actually a really interesting idea, and kind of what I had in mind when I mentioned making sorts of “prototypes” of craftables, though you suggest something more complex, I think. Still, it’s an interesting idea. Let’s say the Arcanist researches weaknesses about Goblins. Perhaps this can be represented by some type of magic toy goblin that can move or some such? Could be interesting. I’ll mull this one over. Thanks for responding!

@voxel_pirate, not sure how effective this would be. I understand most of that you’re saying but it sounds like it could be really complicated. I do like the implication of the Arcanist finding different stuff and studying it, though. Perhaps he can take stuff from a stockpile he needs and bring it back to his study? I’ll mull this over as well. Thanks for responding!

Welcome back to this thread! You’ve activated my trap card!

Not really. I just have a nice new model that I’ve been working on, in the vein of Golemancy. Take a look at a shiny render in magicavoxel:

It’s mostly a work in progress. The red is a kind of magical crystal that is yet to be revealed. (exciting!) What is its sinister purpose? Why do the golems look so much like regular hearthlings? Find out next time (maybe) on…

ARCANISM!

That was quite dramatic. Hope you guys liked today’s smallish update, but I’ve had bunch of stuff going on lately, so its kind of hard to keep a rigid schedule on this stuff right now. Hopefully things will clear up soon!

-Spoolicus

6 Likes

Wow, that is shiny indeed! I like this golem already!

1 Like

Hey @Spoolicus, I really like your mod, it’s been a great inspiration for my own.

I did notice one thing tho, have you found your arcanist wont build his workshop? You added in his abilities one by one in arcanist_abilities.json but I’d recommend using the ai packs, as I think you missed the command for building the workbench. Perhaps some others too, and you’ll still be able to give him other actions on top.

I’d look at the mason’s abilities for an example.

2 Likes

Hey,

Looks like I have some updating to do for Alpha 11! I’ve been a bit busy working on models and stuff so I haven’t peeked at the code just yet. Good catch!

3 Likes

hey can you update for alpha 13

I Haven’t got much to say but, sweet sorcerer wand!! :wink:

AWESOME ROBOT!! If it even is a robot! How long did this take you??

Looks really cool Spoolicus!

Would you like to add it to PraiseDB? :wink:

If you know what version of Stonehearth (read: build number) and it’s missing let me know and i’ll add it.