Hearthlings not gathering items!

when i made a new stock pile that fixed it a bit half of the items they still are not picking up only if i tell them to loot them

1 Like

make sure your hearthlings are not doing anything, if you give them a ā€œjobā€ (building, mining, etc.) they wont collect resources, as that is their lowest priority ā€œjobā€. if you use the loot tool, collecting those items gets a ā€œpriority boostā€.

so make sure you dont have anything else for them to do, then make more stockpiles, and see if that fixes itā€¦

well they are ā€œbuildingā€ (idling next to it waiting for some stone to arive that no one wants to digā€¦)
a house And when i tell them to loot the items they just leave half of the items there.

aha, so they are prioritizing buildingā€¦ even though they should be going and getting the materials off the groundā€¦ try pausing the build to see if theyā€™ll go finish collecting the stuff.

1 Like

Yup it works! but having to create stockpiles in my villages makes it even more messy xD

EDIT: Why are they ignoring crates?

they are? i simply kept saying stockpiles because i forgot about crates :laughing:

but if they arent paying attention to cratesā€¦ thats a problem. do you perhaps have storage filter it default to none?

1 Like

nopeā€¦ I see empty crates with filters that allow everything

hmmā€¦ maybe they have higher priority for stockpiles? have you tried removing those and seeing if they moved the stuff into the crates?

Iā€™m hitting a similar issue in one of my new saves. I am at day 14 with 18 hearthlings and they constantly leave resources laying around even if I specifically tell them to loot them. Right now if I target them for loot and then do a save then load they will spring into action a bit and grab some of them but it also seems just as likely that they will drop items on the way/back.

This also seems to happen more the further from the village the loot is, e.g. I have a mine 1/4 of the map away and they constantly leave the ground littered with the ore.

1 Like

Wow so this is actually becoming a problem now :o ?!

hmmā€¦ so this isnt a going to get tagged as [NaB]ā€¦ or at least not yetā€¦

Yay for work from home days. Just loaded up my save and as a test triggered another big section of my mine to be harvested, almost all of my hearthlings are still sitting around the fire idle and even two of my footmen stopped patrolling and are just standing there. As a test I triggered the new cpp ai but that doesnā€™t seem to be helping any. Pathfinding is spiked around 70% and no one is moving much. Here is the save file. Since itā€™s over the file size limit here Iā€™ve created a split archive and renamed the files to .001.zip/.002.zip so youā€™ll have to remove the trailing ā€˜.zipā€™ from the filenames.

1443813768863.zip.002.zip (1.6 MB)
1443813768863.zip.001.zip (3 MB)

Adding a screenshot of them post mining w/ the proc #s displayed-

1 Like

so its the return of the IDLE BUG!!!

I guess this is almost the same.

My Hearthlings stand in a group and pick up items and then it is like they are talking to each other: drop that item so I can pick it up in an infinite loop.

Alpha 11.

somewhat helps when I place a storage area in the proximity. But I cant empty that space because they start to pick up and drop items again.

I can confirm this same thing. Trappers harvest, stuff stays where it lays. Farmers harvest, stuff stays where it lays. Cut down trees or mine stone, stuff stays where it lies. I have added no worker jobs for several game days and they will just continue to ignore items that should be moved to the appropriate stockpile or chest.

Adding a new stock pile alleviates the issue a little, i added two additional stock piles and they moved MAYBE 3/4 of the items. Iā€™m sitting here watching them sit around the fire pit or just idle at random spots while constantly telling them to loot items. Nothing.

It seems to be an issue where there are excess workers, the AI has issues assigning out the job or something. If I assign fences to be placed, 2-3 pieces get placed and those workers will sit there like idiots until 20 minutes later another worker comes and places his. Then they all go ā€˜oh okā€™ and grab another piece to place. Rinse and repeat for 4 hours until fence completely built.

Workers circled in red just idling. They know there is work to be done in that area, but no one takes charge. Occasionally one will pick up an item, only to walk 5 blocks, drop it, idle for several minutes and do it again.

1 Like

As I said earlier, Iā€™m also having this problem on the latest build. Deleting a stockpile and putting a new one down with no filters turned off helps for a bit, but it eventually comes back. It does seem to be tied with the amount of hearthlings as Iā€™ve never had it happen with less than 11.

The problem is that they pick things up, but then put them right back down for no reason. I guess they just donā€™t recognize thereā€™s somewhere to put them even though there is. Theyā€™ll build if I tell them too, or mine, and harvest trees and put things down. Just wonā€™t pick up things and move them to storage.

@Mortio
I am curious if the new pathfinder will help here.
Hereā€™s how to enable. Paste this into your user_settings.json:
ā€œsimulationā€ : {
ā€œuse_subspace_pathfinderā€ : true
},

I loaded up your save and there does indeed appear to be a lot of pathfinder time, but hearthlings are stocking things for me. I had to pause the mining operation though. Mining is too much of a distractor for people sometimes. Anyway, thereā€™s a range limit to the old path finder and it looks like, since the mine is so far from your town, it might have hit that range limit. The new one doesnā€™t have the range issue, but is not as stable.

Please let me know if turning on the new pathfinder changes anything.

Thanks
-Yang

1 Like

@yshan
I tried that setting, it unfortunately doesnā€™t appear to be helping. Anything on the floor of that mine they seem unwilling to pick it up and bring it back. Even worse my farmers are freezing up if I target a group of those items to loot and start doing the stutter step.

When you loaded up the save were they stocking ore from that mine or only items that were closer to the village?

@Mortio
They picked up the ore from the mine no problem. And the farmers seemed to be working and everyone was restocking.
What are your computer specs? My work computer is pretty beefy, so Iā€™ll try on an older machine when I get home.

Thanks for trying out the setting.
-Yang