First Stonehearth Discourse Civ 5 Game

But the point of async is so that you don’t need time, literally just enough time to open civ and have a turn and given the range of timezones almost impossible to happen more than once a day. Then there is the fact that if you have particularly little time you can set it to vacation mode and it will just have the ai play for you until you change it back.

@ManOfRet as @zukodark said there is a link in the first post. However’s here the info again. The site, security concerns because it connects to steam see here, and faq see here. All it really is is a way of sending hotseat games around and tracking their progress, it’s just to make it easier for people as the only alternative is to do it themselves or use the super brand new server stuff that was released less than a week ago and host their own pitboss server. Assuming your on windows it will upload and download your games from the site automatically so all you have to do is play one turn of a saved game whenever it comes up.

EDIT: Other ideas.
If someone wanted to we could also try a succession game? We play like 10 turns or something before sending it onto the next person and everybody chronicles what they did on the forums. Alternatively I could try just chronicling a game and seeing if that inspired enough interest.

I’m in for whatever. Half term for me now so I’m out of school for a week. I should still be registered on the site, and I think I have you on Steam @Xavion. Maybe we should just get a collection of whoever says they want to play within the next 48 hours or something going, because that Civ V threads been around for months and nobody ever got round to signing up…

After all, if in a week more people do want to play, we can just have 2 games going, can’t we? :smile:

Yep, easy to start more games but gmr limits you to two at once without donations. So so far it seems that @Xavion, @Smokestacks, @Amlin, @ManOfRet and @Zendorf would will play.

Now to alert the rest of the people on the list.
@Nazgren, @Sidewinder, @Newf, @Zendorf, @Paranundrox, @SteveAdamo, @Smith

Currently there is me and @Amlin who have names known to me on gmr, Just log in and choose a name for the site then either post it here or pm me. Let’s try and start by sunday/monday.

Amlin, I can find Amlin but not xXAmlinXx on there, I sent an invite there as it seems to be you from the stats (join date and timezone).

Also here’s an invite link for someone to try. If they’re easier I’ll create some more.

Also continents, pangaea, ring, small continents, what? AI players as well? They’re the main two questions to ask.

1 Like

Personally I like Pangaea or continents, but I’ll play whatever :smile:

I think I’m simply Smokestacks on gmr, but that invite link’s done it I think, really simple

Would it be possible to have each round automaticly stop once or twice a day? That was you could simply ignore it if you don’t need to do anything, and we don’t have to deal with people on vacation and stuff.

What with me? I have logged in on that site. I have time like 2-3 times a day. And they usual are some hours long.

I’m not quite as much of a fan of Pangaea myself but that’s just because the lack of proper coast and oceans severely impacts a fair few things. I prefer something like continents because that way it’s less likely to cripple a civ from lack of coast (Polynesia pangaea anyone?). Ring seems interesting because it seems to basically give every civ thier own continent connected to their two neigbours by a small landbridge, not sure how it would turn out but just thought I’d put it out there.

@Zukodark, I’ve just invited you on there. What do you mean by automatically stop? I can set a timer on how long people have for their turn before it defaults to the ai taking it (e.g. 24 hours to play) and there is a vacation mode that you can set so that it will just have the ai play your turns until you get back. I’m afraid a more detailed explanation might be needed though.

One final (hopefully) question about game settings, do you want any of them set? The most common ones I’d see would be policy and/or promotion saving, no huts or raging barbs. I don’t really care on any of them.
Also two more invite links and don’t forget to choose your civ as I’m pretty sure I need to set that.
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/7918?token=732a384f-8637-406c-9301-b35156ba528c
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/7918?token=29a86318-dc3b-4200-9ab4-d3fc8da15acc

Ok, joined as ze Poolind. Kazimeer Drei vill rule all!

Meanwhile with xavions double luxuries and extra gold from trade routes funding his army of keshik knockoffs we wonder how much the extra three policies actually helped. Good thing I play peacefully isn’t it?

It’s not my fault… You’re the one who took Arabia first, not me… That’s the one I was planning on using, but of course not. : p

You can’t have two people the same on the site? I know you can ingame.

Almost like you said. Then I am ready! Joined as Venice (I love Venice)

1 millions to rule them all! Expansionism was my tactic for Civ III, and I know it got nerfed but I’m standing by it! C’mon the Shoshone!

So if noone else wants to join then we might start today, if noone wants any particular settings I’ll just choose some so if you have any opinions state them now. Current plan is something like huge, ring, a couple of ai players (I think they can be replaced if someone wants to join later as well) and I’m not sure of whether to turn on policy saving yet. Policy saving allows for some interesting stuff, it means if you’re nearly at the next era you don’t need to open a policy you don’t like but at the same time it could possibly lead to exploitation but I’m not really sure how. I’m leaning towards using actually I think.

sounds like a plan.

as for setting im a big fan of raging barbarians but it cool if you don’t wanna use that

Raging barbs might be a bit mean to @zukodark, I’ve played venice before and I suspect that raging barbs could lead to a very difficult early game, potentially difficult mid and late too. That’s since barbs can pillage trade routes, venice is entirely built off them, and it’s very easy for them to go through unexplored territory where a wandering barb can just kill it, I ended up needing a couple of ships patrolling the nearby ocean as far in as the renaissance because they’re just so evil.

I’ll start the game in an hour or two as I can’t go to windows right now. Here’s an extra invite link.
Now since I feel like it my quick thoughts on the civs chosen.
Arabia: Main bonuses here are the double luxuries and the keshik lite causing war or peace to be viable.
Egypt: Wonders/Faith here with the super temple and UA
Poland: Extra policies, other stuff isn’t particularly useful
Venice: All the gold! Likely a fair few wonders as well because of the single city.
Shoshone: Incredible early game with pathfinders and extra borders but nothing for the mid or late game to speak of.

Also did anyone look at the changes to Germany? I seriously considered them because of it. They had the half price pikeman swapped out for a UB bank that gives +5% production for every city state trade route you have. They also doubled capture chance for barbs but the fact that by the time you get banks that could be a good +20% production in every city and get as high as +60% means that they could be quite good now. Japans still kinda dodgy though as they just got bonus culture and fishing samurai.

Took a bit longer than expected but it’s started. Turn order is Me, @Smokestacks, @ManOfRet, @zukodark, and then @Amlin followed by 3 AI. Policy saving is on, map settings are huge ring with 32 city states and the three random AI civs were Denmark, England, and Byzantium. No turn timer but I can add one if it seems to be needed and I set the game for quick because this is likely to take ages anyway so -33% time on everything should help negate that. I also confirmed that anyone can jump in and take control of one of the three ai civ at anytime.

Also remember people that they have the client to download off their site, it will automate uploading/downloading of save games for you. Just get it, open civ, load the clearly labelled hotseat game, play your turn and then click save. Set a password as well if you’re wary but that’s done from your gmr account I believe.

1 Like

And a dominant lead is immediately leapt into! Winning is inevitable!

p.s. I have yet to finish a game of Civ V yet as my first one as Morocco was wiped with my computer and I’m halfway through a game again as the Shoshone. I’m having to go with Civ III tactics of expansionism and culture, all the tile ownage :smile:

I expect you to get a good start, it just won’t keep forever. The extra tiles aren’t actually too amazingly useful normally but they can be nice for nabbing a resource inland a square or two, and pathfinders are basically just a scout after 30 turns or so. You’ll need a lead to be able to keep up in the mid game once the other civs start to kick in and yours has worn out. You should get an amazing start though.

Also what difficulty is your game on?
Since this is prince which can have significantly worse unhappiness issues then lower difficulties due to the lack of luxury bonuses. Just warning you as that’s the expansion limiter in civ 5 and if you haven’t played at least prince yet you may find your dreams of a giant civ crushed under -75% growth.

Having ploblems with starting civilizations. As I understand it, we are not playing in the same turn?

Edit: Fixed the ploblems, just had to restart civ.