[Con] Saved game disappeared

Also love the vids man keep up the great work! From earlier posts id say keep your cam the way you have it!

This what all the big you tubers and twitch users do and this is what alot of people like in video’s!

Again keep up the good work and you have my sub!

1 Like

They’ll also continue streamlining the 32-bit version as well. There’s lot of things that need to be optimized more, so until then we’ll see issues like memory leaks (which are tied to the problems with the pathfinder and lua, as well as being unable to save the game).

2 Likes

The bug that causes to delete your saves that you overwrite is one of the most annoying indeed! They are working on this :smile:

Yes optimizing the game would fix this.

At this point the bug is game breaking in my opinion and needs to be addressed sooner than later!

I still keep making new towns but its getting frustrating to not continue to grow them further.

I just hope its fixed before Alpha 9 (big hopes for alpha 8 :D)

1 Like

Just noticed 202 updated on my steam, I’m going to test see if the save crashes after 18 Hearthlings

Wish they would post notes when they add a new build :smiley:

1 Like

Nope, same issue as reported before :frowning:

In the near future (hopefully this week), we’re going to push a build to the unstable Steam branch with two fixes. The first should fix the overwrite save bug. If the game crashes in the middle of overwriting a previous save, your original save should still be there when you start a new game.

The second is to add an experimental 64-bit version of the game. Only 3 or 4 people in the world have ever run with this thing, so it’s highly unstable. When it works, though, it should completely eliminate all crashing bugs due to running out of memory. Hooray! The 64-bit version of the game will run automatically if you are on a 64-bit operating system.

Long term, we’re going to work aggressively on using less memory so that even people running on 32-bit operating systems can run massive games without issue. This will take some time, but hopefully we’ll begin to address it in Alpha 9.

11 Likes

Thank you so much :smiley: You guys are Great and I Cant’t be more happy with you and your team! You guys are building something amazing here:)

Ouch, the only moment I regret having a 64 bit machine.

Yay!

Nice :slight_smile: .

What the heck, this is what alphas are for, right :smiley: ?

Decided to test this in [205], I was able to successfully save my town and save the Kingdom of Calgary. the 18 Hearthlings of Doom are no longer plaguing my kingdom.

1 Like

You’ll be able to turn off the automatic-64-bit mode, too, if you try it and it’s not working for you.

2 Likes

I’m Game count me in for 64bit! If it doesn’t work I’ll just keep buggin ya till you get it working… well not in a whiny self entitled way, more like a kid at Christmas waiting to open a new gift :slight_smile: Is it done yet!

3 Likes

I have encountered this bug in 205 and the save file that got overwritten had both the client and server .bin files but was missing the metadata.json and screenshot files.
I decided to test what would happen if I copied these missing files from a working save game into the broken save folder. As it turns out, the only downside was that the screenshot and info on the load page were identical to the save game I copied them from, so I had to edit the screenshot to make it identifiable. When I loaded the game it was exactly where I recall the broken save being created. I was also able to save again after loading and continuing the previously broken saved game.

4 Likes

You Sir are a Genius and i tip my hat to you :smiley:

Bring on the 64-bit…

My Keyboard Is Ready.

1 Like

:+1: Keeping my fingers crossed - this just worked to recover my most recent lost save.

Wow! Was just talking to @Ponder and he confirms that this could work IF the crash happens during the generation of the screenshot. It won’t work if the crash happens earlier. But how often does the crash happen during screenshot generation? This is where you come in. If you try this solution, let us know if it worked or didn’t work!

2 Likes

Well… this trick has worked for me four times now. :smile:

Just for the record in my case it has never been a game crash. The save function simply fails to completely generate the proper files.