Alpha 19 - Release 687 - save game bug/Corrupt saves

Hello, I’ve been playing stonehearth for a long time now and have enjoyed to see it progress from alpha 12 or 13 can’t exactly remember. Anyway onto the bug/Problem.

Upon playing the game today and making huge progress on getting my mechanic and blacksmith to level six, I’ve never been so happy, But I had to go to work and so after about 1-2 hours of not saving my work, I finally did finish saving my work. I think I saved about 3-4 times overwriting the same save file to make sure it was saved correctly. Anyway, I hit exit and I close the game turning off my PC.

Upon coming home after my long day at work, I come home to open the game and find out the save file was now vanished, as it no longer seemed to exist within the load button only showing my old save, which was of another town. Anyway, I closed the game and navigated to the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games” Folder and open it up to see whats inside, there were all my save games. I go though the most recent to see the screen shot of where I saved before I left for work.

Everything is with-in this folder the Metadata, server state and client state etc. though for some odd reason the game doesn’t seem to show the save game with-in the loading screen no matter if I duplicate the folder and a few other things only to have no luck in getting this save game to even show up anymore.

To replicate?

1. Save the game.
  2. Close the game.
  3. Find out save is missing.
    4.Profit???

Expected Results:

For the game to show the save file!

Actual Results:

No show of the save file.

Notes:

I have the picture of the screen shot, Folder and loading menu with the patch number on the bottom

Version Number and Mods in use:
Alpha 19 - Release 687

Apparently longer, I think it was when cooks weren’t even a thing at all.

Could you upload that corrupt savefile please?

To upload a save, locate the folder in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install), zip the individual save’s folder (not the entire saved_games folder), and upload it. If the *.zip is less than 10 MB, feel free to upload it directly to the Discourse. If larger, please upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.

1480105333975.7z (2.9 MB)

I’m sorry if the picture with-in the save file is different then the one on the imgur link I’ve posted you, Since I’ve wrote this post when I was tired after work. This is the actual real corrupted/refuses to show up save file.

And also thank you once again for trying to help me with this problem.

Sorry if this might be a bit annoying, but i was wondering/checking in to see how or if anything could be done.

Hmm I’ve had this happening to me before, but we haven’t figured out yet why and how it’s happening.

The metadata.json file appears blank. What you can try to do to recover the savefile (make it appear in the UI) is to copy the contents of other recent metadata.json file and paste them on it.

It should make the savefile appear, and when you load it, try to save it again, so that the metadata.json gets fixed with the correct values.

Let us know how it went.

It works wonderfully except a few bugs I’ve found so far in doing this. Apparently the 10 fences I just placed and 1 gate can be sold and so can my placed workbenches, Also thank you for the fix. Those aside everything should be good, as long as I don’t accidentally sell them.

Thank you for the fix btw!

1 Like