[Con] Citizens walk over yet-to-build roof

Title: Citizens walk over yet-to-build roof

Summary: While building my (admittedly broken) building, the citizens walked merrily over the as yet non-existent roof of the house to get to either side (the roof was, after all, being built from both sides). They went up diagonally and back down diagonally, and everything.

Steps to reproduce: Again, not sure. It may just be something they always do with unfinished roofs/buildings, or it may have been related to the above linked bug. I have not yet seen it elsewhere, but then, I did only build one other building so far (not sure if it happened there or not). I would suggest just building a house and seeing if it happens generally (or waiting for further feedback from the community first).

Expected results: The citizens would path around the already standing walls of the house to get to the other side if they wanted to work on the roof there, or alternatively climb down with the scaffolding and back up again. At any rate, they would not walk on air.

Attachments:

Fig. 1: Builders walking on non-existent roof

Fig. 2: They are still doing it.

Versions and mods:
No mods, latest release version in Steam at the time of writing, version 0.1.0 (release 99) according to the title screen.

System information:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX-version: DirectX 11
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

2 Likes

The roof… is there. You… just can’t see it. That’s what @Ponder told me yesterday, and I didn’t believe him. He had me save/load, and viola, roof! But one thing we’re still not sure about is WHY it happens. Can you get a consistent repro?

I had fragments of walls that also were invisible. When starting to build, I saw the settler hitting with the hammer on empty spaces (and still carrying invisible wood, too). Then, after a few seconds, the line of voxels appeared. I think this could be related.

For my computer, my guesses are on the lag and low capacity. For example, I can’t use the speed options very often or during much time, because after some seconds the cpu runs really high and it’s summer, I don’t want to burn it xD

Also, the constant lag when doing some actions makes me think of an issue of memory, it could be. Priority of rendering, view inside mode… Just saying things I don’t know :persevere:

P.S: how cute the girl sleeping on the roof :smile:

2 Likes

Really, it’s there? But they’re still building it, as well, and as they are, more of it is becoming visible. You can see this happen between both screenshots I’ve uploaded.

At the same time, it does sound right… that was my idea about the missing front wall, too (as you have seen).

[quote=“Relyss, post:3, topic:6429”]
P.S: how cute the girl sleeping on the roof [/quote]
I know! I looked at that as well. Well, later on, for different citizens. It seemed a popular bed substitute.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue. I did something, then went back to the house, and the roof was gone (but it was there before), and they were walking on it…

Were they also rebuilding it in your case?

In my case, I did not see it be there before. It may have been there, but I kind of doubt it – I was around the whole time.

Do not try building a roof. That’s impossible. Instead only try to realise the truth.

What truth?

There is no roof.

There is no roof?

Then you see it’s not the roof that is built, it is only yourself.

4 Likes