Multiple Building issues - flat roof offset, extra scaffolding, item placement issues

There’s a lot of change that I really liked from 0.12.0 to 0.14.0 albeit that I haven’t played since alpha 12. Anyways, I’m going to post some pictures and explain what’s wrong in them.

These first two images are of the rooftop construction design. I never followed through with what was going on in the second picture but from the design, it is clearly missing a whole layer. The changes result from the [Roof Offset], after I’ve tweaked it a little. No bug message popped up.

During the construction phase, some unnecessary scaffolds appeared. Most notably that ladder at the lower right corner that leads to nowhere. While it doesn’t seem to debilitate the experience, I have no idea about its impact on calculation speed in mid-late game since no bug popped up and I cannot pinpoint how the game decided to place a scaffold ladder to nowhere.

This picture is a complaint about the roof. As you can see, it is exposed too much to the point where it just resembles a walled in pergola. A pergola is not meant to be a dwelling place. Just fill in the spaces without having us players do it. The reason why is because player-placed blocks block the view when trying to view the insides of a buildiing (at least it used to).

Also, the bricks on the roof were just stuck there, meaning you need to fix something so that the workers carry resources off the roof after they are done constructing the building rather than leave stuff on the top of it.

This last one here is a ‘problem’ that I’ve repeatedly kept on saying since Alpha 11 (I think). As you can see, I cannot place furniture without tilting the building at an angle. The top floor is an exception. Honestly, I can deal with this situation in the picture but let me present to you a few other situations where this would be unacceptable.

• 3+ stories: I can view the top and bottom floor but not the middle.
  • Larger floor coverage: Am I going to have to tilt the camera to place furniture objects in the middle of the room? Or maybe the bottom floor will just have to be empty?

In other words, it is a whole lot easier if the player can place furniture either a top-down setting or in a setting where only a single story is visible.

2 Likes
  1. the roof mishap thing. Yeah I’ve seen that, and that is something I have had to remove/undo the roof in order to get set correctly. Not quite possible when laying a blueprint down, and would be nice to have a delete tool in game to do so while in editor for the roof specifically or parts like walls, since those are defined like that. Anyway that seems be bug regardless, although visual, did that build correctly with that setting and look still like that in image when building?

2. I think I can give insight on that lone ladder. Usually when scaffolding is built it would run along the entire edge, but looks like they got to upper floor before that. So they forgot scaffolding that was suppose to be there between the slab stairs and ladder. But in a way it is a good thing since that is less they have to take down afterwards… and less time in take down.

3. Of the Clay Bricks. Right now they are not individually store-able; since filter is missing from file, or something like that. That bit will be fixed in the next update A15; However the litter you see is probably due to that happenning, as they have no where to put the materials. Stockpile set to all will hold them though. Right now there is not much else can do on it, but usually they will take them back to where they can be stored most of the time.

4. Roof exposure is just the style of the RC. They live in a desert and it is a way for ventilation theoretically. You could always make the roof yourself with the slab tool, however it will be solid unfortunately in the partial house viewing. So Yes slabs are still solid.

5. As to seeing in a building, there is a work around for that, and it is using the slice button on the bottom. Which you can slice down segments at a time with adjustments up and down through the layers. Although it is not 1 block at a time, it will be a few at a time. So is not precise, but should be able to find layer in which you can see the floor of building you are trying to look at. That is the slice tool next to the x-ray button. I think should help in what you are trying to do or mentioned…

This is all from what I know or have experienced myself, or have gathered what others have mentioned to me, if not my own deductive reasoning :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response Tamarr.

Regarding the roofs, however, it may seem practical for ventilation but architecture of desert-based civilizations don’t have ventilated roofs like the ones of Rayya’s Children. They usually resemble housing like the one below:

That may not be the best example but even the examples of the Indian settlements the developers based the architectural design off of did not have open ventilation. Having open ventilation is an invitation to cold, sickness, mold and disease. The biome temperature mattered little. In fact, a closed housing offered a cooler sanctuary than a house with a pergola-styled roof like the one offered to Rayya’s Children.

1 Like

Also regarding the slice tool, I’ve tried that and it doesn’t view floors individually. Even if my building is 2 stories (in older versions, I had 3+stories), the entire building was cut away rather than just the floor that matched the height.

I did try things out before posting observations but I will give it another whirl to see if I was wrong. I will update soon.

1 Like

Oh I know the basis for RC, but I just imagine it as a different universe. And having some similarities with ours, rather than being T-specific to design. I think they look nice, as it makes it into a different style all its’ own rather than a direct copy of has been.

Some things may not make sense if thought too much into it when using “Earth” logic I guess what it would be called. However I do see what you mean. I was thinking heat rises, but would have imagined also that maybe between the wood parts be something like tapestry or cloth to give more shade, while the heat would still rise through the cracks. Kind of like a canopy style. After all it may be based on something here on earth but could have its’ own style that would be “Hearthlingnized” per say.

I don’t know may sound silly, but is the way I have thought of things.

Of the slice tool, I have not had too much use out of it, but could have sworn it sliced down to level. Just make sure the tool to the left of it is a full house. Might be mistaken or something has changed since I last used that tool; or could have seen it done like that somewhere.

could also be mainly slab type stuff that will stay and be cut, but unsure of that. I am only guessing from memory on that particular one, and deducing what I would think should be the case, as makes sense. Maybe next time I play I will check that out myself, as that does make me curious…

Note: I seem to over fantasize things when concerning game worlds/universes and tend to be more on the fantasy side of things rather than using Earthly logic for them. At least where looks are concerned and overall structure and lore. (aesthetics/atmosphere/environment)

Mechanics is something I think more on the logic of programming somewhat. Like a flow chart without the actual coding, but the layout in what needs to be done for each.

I believe the slice tool was something implimented in 12 I think… if my memory serves me well. Didn’t own the game then, or rather just picked it up the day or so before A13 came to be. However been following for a while before that keeping tabs on progress loving each tuesday. :smiley: Hence my limited experience personally with the game; still learning this and that myself. trial & error most of it out.

2 Likes

That’s fine. While the rooftop of the RC faction does irk me a little, I can live with the re imagined lifestyle of what it can seem like.

Anyways, I’m back with some other things to note.

Take a look at the unfinished wall and the background.For some reason, the building refuses to finish building despite all the building materials being there.

At first I thought it was some priority problem with hauling coming first. Then after all the resources had been hauled, the building remains unfinished.

Here is also a picture of the slice tool in action:

Despite the building being unfinished, I can assure you that when the building does finish, this picture hardly changes in that a person is unable to view the first floor, or second floor, or third floor (and so forth) individually.

I’m hoping for compartmentalization of buildings in the future (building rooms) for those who just somehow can’t play the game without organizing every little thing. (Ha, in Dwarf Fortress, I would always have a dining/living room and bedroom for each family of dwarves and each would be 2 z levels high complete with windows, etc. But what always bothered me was the lack of sanitation devices).

In the event of compartmentalization, I can’t begin to imagine the chaos/frustration that could ensue once a player attempts to place furniture in the middle of a building/room when the upper floors are blocking the view.

1 Like

TR has said a few times now that a comprehensive building system revamp is in the works. No commitment yet on which Alpha it will be in, but it’s currently in progress. So that’s good, at least. :slightly_smiling: Basically, it’ll get included whenever it’s ready.

Until then though, we have to accept the current limitations. SH is still very much an Alpha version game, after all.

1 Like

Ooh, a comprehensive building system revamp. Can’t wait! I guess I’ll provide further commentary once the building system revamp comes out.

2 Likes

One thing to always look forward to, and the reason I devise so many work arounds to what I do build, so I don’t have hearthlings exploding their brains all over the place…

Of course that won’t actually visually happen, but it does come to mind every time I design something and they refuse to even start an attempt to build the design. lol

So awe-struck that they may be thinking, “you have got to be kidding, right?”

Well what I imagine them thinking anyway… I’ll just keep sending when I see one they won’t start or have complications on finishing. And adjust my habits, even though I really want to build certain things, now all modular. I just hope that the blueprint placement thing gets sorted out as well with the future improvements, even if I have to remake those blueprints. Cause as it stands, 2 sides can not be put close to one another, having a must have space between objects on those sides.

Would make doing modular designs easier…

Thanks for showing that, good to know that is how the slice tool reacts. At least for the time being. We’ll see in the future what happens. :smiley:

EDIT: I just realized today that at least the proximity problem with blueprints has been sorted… Guess I haven’t checked placing blueprints since the 504 version…>< Been busy filling out new buildings for my collection. lol (Today’s session I was actually using one of my blueprints for a new building to see if height and space would fit in the gap, like a jigsaw puzzle. Thankful for noticing that finally. :D)

1 Like