Building lots and lots of scenarios - Scenario Ideas

An egg of a titan (cthulu? does cthulu hatch from an egg?) is found by a scout wandering

Raise it: (Most Likely) Mother/Father titan is enraged and attacks to get its baby back

Raise it: (Second most likely) Likely slaughters the guy raising it before it can be put down 

Raise it: (Tiny Chance) The titan learns to love you and defends your village in times of trouble

Kill it: (50%Chance) The omelette made by the egg feeds your whole village.

Kill it: (50% Chance) Mother/Father titan attempts to slaughter the whole village in a blind fury
5 Likes

Well, Iā€™m pretty sure one of the original stretch goals was the underworld groups like corrupt politicians and mafiasā€“this is certainly putting some possible identity to these groupsā€™ role in Stonehearthā€¦

3 Likes

I think some type of charisma skill should be in place for the scholar.

2 Likes

I want to come up with one, But I will need some time to think first!

2 Likes

A few things the game can throw at you for you to deal with. Yeah, theyā€™re mostly bad, but hey, look at the avatar :wink: .

1. Drought: The rain just refuses to fall. Crops die before being fully grown, soil quality takes a hit, and pools of water lose a level every day or two that the drought continues for.

2. Monsoon: The rain refuses to stop falling. High chance for pools of water etc to overflow their banks. Crops have a chance to rot early, villagers & items can be swept away, etc.

3. Meteor Strike: A meteor has crashed nearby (hopefully not on anyone :stuck_out_tongue: ). High chance to contain high-end metals (eg steel - not iron), chance that goblins / new settlers will have seen it hit & come to investigate it (an by implication, your town).

4. Crop Disease: A particular crop is attacked by a disease. Very high chance all the crops of that type (including harvested ones) will die/rot/etc.

5. Animal Disease: As #4, but for domesticated animals.

6. A Fell Moon Rises: Somethingā€¦ strangeā€¦ is going on with the moon. Certain personality types, unhappy settlers etc have a high chance of developing various strains of lunacy etc over the next day or two. Happiness hit as the whole town is on edge as a result.

7. Blizzard: More weather fun! Cannot plant crops, lots of snow, sleeping when not in some kind of shelter (tents included) will very likely kill settlers (hope the AI is improved by then :stuck_out_tongue: ). Fresh water freezes over. Happiness hit for the whole town.

8. The Summer of Cid: Unusually ideal growing conditions. Crops etc grow much faster, soil improves on its own accord, and general all-round food/nature bounteous bounty-ness abounds (bountily :stuck_out_tongue: ).

9. Wolf Pack: Some wolves have moved in close by. Theyā€™ll regularly prowl around the outside of your settlement, are a danger to solo settlers, but fear getting too close etc unless desperate for food. Rather like an easy, permanent goblin presence on the edge of town.

10. Human Disease: Your settlers have caught something nasty. Happiness hits for those infected, they move/work/etc slower, and sleep more. Unlucky severe cases may also die. Infected settlers can also spread it if they get too close to healthy (but not previously-infected) settlers for too long.

Iā€™ve kept the list as a simple ā€œX happens to your settlementā€, simply because thereā€™s been so little done on the RPG/dungeon side ATM. From my POV, you will ā€œwinā€ the game if nothing bad ever happens, so therefore most of these should be negative events - ie they force you to change your plans and react to them (or else thereā€™s trouble).

5 Likes

A Fell Moon Rises: Somethingā€¦ strangeā€¦ is going on with the moon.
Certain personality types, unhappy settlers etc have a high chance of
developing various strains of lunacy etc over the next day or two. Happiness hit as the whole town is on edge as a result.

I love this one!! Can you elaborate? What image do you have in your mind? Maybe after you discover this event, your calender will mark when the next one happens so you can prepare accordingly, i love it!

2 Likes

When I read all the things leading up to-
A Fell Moon Rises: Something... strange... is going on with the moon. Certain personality types, unhappy settlers etc have a high chance of developing various strains of lunacy etc over the next day or two. Happiness hit as the whole town is on edge as a result.

and this sound came to mind - Creedence Clearwater Revival: Bad Moon Rising

2 Likes

Pair of Goblins ask for food and temporary shelter:
(Accept Chance) - Goblins stay a short while, eat, sleep, and continue on their way.
(Accept Chance) - Goblins offer to stay and work as workers or footmen
(Decline Chance) - Goblins set fire to stockpile
(Decline Chance) - Goblins go Hostile and attack
(Decline Chance) - Goblins steal food and run off

Ninja/Pirate/ or other Variant attack
(Chance) - Defeated enemies drop piece of unique armor/weapon based on their variant IE: Ninja garb, pirate hat, scimitar, katana
(Chance) - Attacking force kidnaps random villager and requests ransom
Accept - lose goods regain villager, Decline - lose villager
(Chance) - Attacking force fights until 50% loses and retreats
(Chance) - Raid force grabs items from stockpiles and retreats

Finding Artifact while digging, mining, removing rocks/trees, etcā€¦
(Chance) - Artifact curses the finder and they will be plagued with unhappiness,and more susceptible to injury/sickness
(Chance) - Artifact can be placed as a trophy to boost moral/happiness
(Chance) - Artifact is and item which can unlock a unique rare class
(Chance) - Artifact can summon an ancient force

• Evil Force(Chance): Summons ancient creatures to try to reclaim the artifact and attack settlement
  • Evil Force(Chance): Artifact causes the finder to go crazy and attack other villagers or run off
  • Evil Force(Chance): Village is afflicted with a blight as long as the Artifact remains intact (Destroy to reverse)
  • Good Force(Chance): Summons a passive mythical animal which will reside in your village and boost happiness (will be susceptible to attack)
    -Good Force(Chance): Ancient Knowledge is gained and random crafter unlocks news recipes or abilities
    -Good Force(Chance): Unlocks blueprint which will allow the building of a special expensive building to specially house artifacts and trophies increasing their special buffs or powers.
3 Likes

Me has ideas! :stuck_out_tongue:

######random random random random random

SCENARIO SUGGESTION #1: WOUNDED ROGUE

NOTE:

If Rogues or Thieves are added, which they probably will, than this will be a good scenario. It could also be reworded to be a wounded goblin scenario instead.

NOTIFICATION:

A rogue approaches your settlement. He says he is wounded and would like some food and supplies. You are suspicious as he is a rogue, and there seems to be no visible wounds. Do you accept  his pleas, or do you decline his requests?

CHAT:

"Help me. I have been wounded in battle, and I would like some supplies. Please be grateful and I'll for sure be able to return the favor."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh thank Raya I have found this quaint town. I have been severely hurt while scouting, and I definitely could use some help. Can you help me. I am in great pain."

"I am in the worst pain imaginable. Do not ask how I got into this position. It's personal. Anyway, I could use some goods to help myself and ease the pain. I do not ask for much. Please accept."

IF YOU ACCEPT:

The rogue takes a random amount of food and supplies and thanks you and will tell his friends not to attack you for a random amount of time.

"Thanks for all the help! I'll be better for sure. As I keep my promises, for a reward, I'll tell my friends back at camp to not pester you for some time. Take care!"

- Random Amount Of Food And Supplies 

+ Random Amount Of Days With No Rogue Attacks Or Stealing

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rogue takes a random amount of food and supplies and tells you that he will repay you by giving you a reward in the upcoming days.

"Hey, that was what I needed. I feel better already. For a reward, in a few days, I'll give you a treat. I never break my promises, well, except for that one time which lead to our camp getting burned down."

+ Random Reward Given To You In A Few Days No More Than A Week

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rogue takes a random amount of food, but deceives you and doesn't give you a reward, and has a slim chance of being chased down by guards and killed.

"Thanks for the stuff, suckers! Next time don't be so gullible. Anyways, good bye!"

+ Slim Chance Of Getting Chased Down And Maybe Getting Killed By Guards

IF YOU DECLINE:

The rogue leaves annoyed and nothing else happens.

"Bah. You guys probably wouldn't help me anyways."

The rogue is pissed and will get revenge by notifying his peers, and an attack will occur in a day or two. 

"My, this place is useless. You people sicken me. My friends aren't going to take this easily. We'll destroy this place, and we'll destroy you."

- Rogue Attack Will Take Place In 1-2 Days

The wounded rogue will not take by your orders, and steals from you. There is a large chance he'll be spotted and chased down, and probably killed.

"I am not impressed with your selfishness, and I will not go by your orders. I take what is mine."

- One Stockpile Emptied 

+ Large Chance Of Getting Chased Down And Killed Off
3 Likes

Firstly, oh it could never be a regular (ie, clockwork) occurrence - itā€™d get boring/predictable etc that way - donā€™t want that with any events really (I mean, sure, you donā€™t get the droughts in winter, butā€¦ well not every summer will have one :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Anyway, the origin of the words ā€œlunacyā€, ā€œlunaticā€ etc is literally based on ā€œdriven mad by the moonā€ (those clever Roma- oh wait, they were totally wrong. Moving swiftly on thenā€¦). So that was the first part. As to the actual effectsā€¦ could be all sorts. Worst case, maybe someone goes on a killing spree, or becomes a werewolf, vampire or other creature of the night. A cult to some dead/sleeping god could emerge, with an interest in sacrificial victims and bringing about the end times. On a more light-hearted note, imagine someone who merely thinks theyā€™re a werewolf, vampire etc. Who suddenly has a mortal fear of [insert food/object/person/class here]. Lots of ways you could run with it :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Meteorite Strike:
(Always) Litters area with a large rock and small chunks which can be mined for unique ores and other precious metals. These are particularly useful for rare craft or trading purposes.
(Chance) Meteorite strike alerts enemies and they attempt to claim the find for themselves
(Chance) Mining Meteorite chunks spawn passive interstellar mob which a trapper can attempt to use traps to obtain an exotic pet or exotic material

2 Likes

What about mysterious buildings/towers appearing outside of your town, like unexpected dungeons/possible threats?

The Abandoned(?) Ruins

Synopsis:

As your settlers are building and expanding the city, they notice something in the distance: a strange, archaic building/tower/town. Everyone swears it was never there before...so how did it get there?

Options/Outcomes:

The structure(s) will essentially be a new dungeon relatively close to your original settlement. Depending on your current status/score/affinity rating, different levels of loot and threats might exist. The internal portion of the structure should be hidden until your troops are near/inside, so you are forced to explore to see whatā€™s there.

Best Outcome: The structures are completely uninhabited! Your troops are able to freely explore it, and there's treasure inside! You can salvage materials and furniture as well, or repair the structure for your town's use. Nice!

Neutral Outcome: They're just old buildings. Nothing's really valuable inside, or the buildings are so damaged they're probably not worth the resources to salvage or repair. If you leave the ruins, however, enemies like goblins might eventually make it a base camp and fortify it for themselves.

Negative Outcome: The structure is indeed supernatural, and is quite haunted. It is an active dungeon that will continue to spawn supernatural mobs such as zombies or ghosts, particularly a lot at night. You're going to need to send a team of troops to exorcise the threat and stop the spawning from occurring. Might have loot, but you won't know until you're already inside.

Other Negative Outcome: Perhaps this structure still isn't temporally/spatially sound--it's not done warping around, and will disappear again soon. This gives you a time limit to the other listed scenarios, but at least the supernatural threats will stop once it disappears again. Strong suggestion--try to avoid having units in the area when it disappears--they might get whisked away too!
4 Likes

The Gods Have Come Calling!

A cult worshipping some gods has started up, This could be bad or good for the community

Have the cult disbanded/executed (Bad Ending):
The cultistā€™s deity is angered and places a curse upon you! Crops fail and happiness goes down.

Have the cult disbanded/executed (Good Ending):

You lose 3 workers but the happiness of your town increases.

Let the Cult Continue (Bad Ending):

The cult members worship an evil deity and perform a ritual bringing Daemons into this world killing themselves in the process. 10-4 Daemons appear and you lose 3 workers.

Let the Cult Continue (Good Ending):

The cult members worship a beneficial Deity who promises good harvest and happy times! The crop growth rate improves and happiness increases!

The Bear who hurt his paw!

A massive bear sits near your town! He could kill some of the animals or worse!!!

Leave the Bear alone (bad ending):

The bear starts killing livestock

Leave the Bear alone (Good ending):

The bear eventually wanders offā€¦but he might come back!!!

Send a worker to see if the Bear needs help (Bad ending):

The Bear badly mauls the worker and then starts killing Livestock

Send a worker to see if the Bear needs help (Good ending):

The worker removes a thorn from the Bearā€™s foot and the bear becomes tame! You gain a tame bear.

Send a worker to see if the Bear needs help (Super Good ending):

The worker removes a thorn from the Bearā€™s foot and the bear transforms into a Druid!, In return for your help/proving that you love nature he promises to help you and your village.

Send soldiers to kill the bear:

The Bear goes on a murderous rampage killing everything in sight!!!

7 Likes

Worst case, maybe someone goes on a killing spree, or becomes a
werewolf, vampire or other creature of the night. A cult to some
dead/sleeping god could emerge, with an interest in sacrificial victims
and bringing about the end times.

Yes!! Hahaha!! So much chaos! So much potential fun times!

I still think that such a disruptive event should be predictable, atleast by a few days maybe? Still a fun idea! I wonder how you can protect your village against ā€œevilā€ effects. I vote giant shiny crystal that makes a barrier that protects against such effects within an areaā€¦ http://www.twinfinite.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ffcc_final_fantasy_crystal_chronicles4b1.jpg like one of these! just seems so inplace with stonehearth! :slight_smile:

Silver weaponsā€¦ the best protection is a good purging. :wink:

2 Likes

They only work on Werewolves. Vampires will be killed with a good blow to the heart (Traditionally a Stake) or chopping off their head and burning them.(Or sunlight). Anything else I am not sure has weaknessesā€¦

1 Like

Possibly holy monk hadukensā€¦

1 Like

perhapsā€¦Maybe the haduken comes down from the sky as if god is shining his light down upon the unholy horror,

1 Like

Note the bit where they use an RPG on the bad guy :wink: .

ā€œSure, youā€™re still alive. But youā€™re also over there, and over there, and over here, andā€¦ā€

2 Likes

Thatā€™s something Iā€™ve been thinking about too. When I start a game, I try to make as many crude beds as I need and then stuff them in a tavern sort of building. But then when I finally build houses and comfy beds for everyone, they stay in the crude beds. I donā€™t think there should be any bed assignments, except for maybe the obvious like soldiers sleeping in barracks. There should naturally be a preference for the more comfortable beds.

1 Like