BBQ's Voxel Corner [MODS included]

Sorry, nope…I (unintentionally) avoided anything to do with animations as I removed the part of the door that animates! It would look quite weird if the doorway itself moved. I went so far as to remove sensors from my doorways to avoid unnecessary calculations when Hearthlings walk through, and to prevent enemies from attacking them.

Since we seem to be playing tag here, perhaps @malley has some insight?

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I have never used Magica Voxel or Voxelshop. Are you using the basic animations or a unique animation you created? If it’s basic… I’m really not sure. Double check that the .qb files are directly on top of the clay door files maybe? (Want to make sure there is absolutely no offset.)

4 Likes

Oh, that’s bad, i could try taking a look into the model if you upload the .qb file here opening them in QC ususally reveals what’s wrong

I have my suspicions, but i’ll need some more proof to see if that’s really the cause

2 Likes

For a normal door, this would look quite strange, indeed. But now I have an idea for a bookshelf, doubling as a secret door. Thanks. And if I cannot find a solution to my door swing problem, I will use it on a mantlepiece seceret door, like the one from The Last Crusade (castle sceene) :smiley:

I cloned the re clay door, renamed the files and their content where neccessary and remodelled the door. The referenced animations are still the vanilla ones. I don’t dare touching custom animations.

I hereby gratefully accept your kind offer, dear Sir - man, I really should play less RPGs… :grin:
crude_wooden_door.zip (32.2 KB)

1 Like

Great!, i’ll take a look and tell you what’s wrong after i return to my computer

1 Like

okay i found the reason

this was what i was expecting, and guess what? it’s just too common of an issue to not happen

the progam you are using is optimizing the size of the model, you can see the door you made no longer alligns with the original clay door, and the matrix size is shinked to match the model’s size and not the pre-set

i believe there was a similar issue tat happened to @MelOzone a while ago, and i think we managed to fix it through this post

the solution was something about keeping the size of something in the settings, but i don’t use voxelshop so i personally don’t know where the settings are

2 Likes

You make verry nice stuff its crazy nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm… thanks for the help @Hyrule_Symbol! If I understood the linked thread correctly, I have a problem, though. I didn’t alter/create any custom animations. Thus, Blender is out of the line. Maybe I did something wrong with the export settings in VoxelShop. I remember that there was something about optimazations and file sizes somewhere.

So I opened your files, and the .qbs are empty - they don’t have any matrices in them : /. Not sure what’s going on there.

Judging by the image @Hyrule_Symbol loaded he’s right, the voxel program you are using is resizing your matrix because there is empty space and its determining “you don’t really want that empty space” and then fixing it for you. It is actually OK that that happens (although annoying), but you need to move your door to be in the exact same voxel location as the clay door. Hopefully it doesn’t reset the location on the grid if you manually set it.

There may be a setting in the voxel program to disable auto-optimizing your matrices or something like that. Its also possible that you did it manually without knowing it would break things, in which case you just need to reset the matrix to the size of the original door’s.

1 Like

In VoxelShop, there are layers (lower right corner). door (large) and layer (0). If I select by layer, the whole door is selected. Thus I suspect that the layers do exist within the software. Moreover, in SH, the swing animation does work. The door matrix and the according animations seems to be recognized by the game (at least, if I did get it right how the game works). But your suspicion about the exporter doing something unwanted sounds resonable. I will have to take a second… or third look at what each option really does. Thanks for your time and support :+1: :+1: :+1:

Oh strange, opening your files shows nothing, but importing your files into an already open scene works… sorta. Qubicle must not like the file format that your program created : /. I do see the same thing as Hyrule posted : ).

According to the exporter it is the Qubicle V 1.0 format. Maybe this is the problem (I assume you are using a later release). There is also an option to use the boundng box as matrix. It was off until now. Now I only need to figure out, how I can set the bounding box manually. Life is constant learning…

lol, It most certainly is : ).

We actually use Qubicle v1.0 here. I personally have Qubicle v3.0.7 (just steam latest), but both versions were doing the same thing with your file, so I dunno what was going on : /.

I guess it is the “set origin to zero” or something like that. When set, the object is always centered, if not, it can have some amount of offset or space, like most objects do in stonehearth.

I made some tests now and the results are a bit discomforting. Whatever setting I use, the door is always placed at the same position (in game) and the swing animation does always play in the same wrong way. I start to suspect that there is some automatism working in the background… this or I have a Gremlin in my machine :fearful:

EUREKA! :laughing:
I just solved my issue. It was a problem with exporting (the use bounding box as matrix option). I still have the problem of a crippled model thanks to the strange bounding box. But still a large step into the right direction. Thanks @malley, @Hyrule_Symbol and @BrunoSupremo for your help. I love this community… and the team behind SH of course!

Addendum: you REALLY need to use the original bounding box from the clay door. Otherwise, the door will be missplaced and the swing animation will look strange. After this plethora of things I have learned (the hard way), I will now boot up StoneHearth, lod my latest village, go to the tavern there and order a glas of Scotch… or two. But without ice cubes!

3 Likes

Awesome! Glad you got it working : ).

1 Like

After some RL interferences I finally found some time to play some more SH and continue my work on all the stuff I had started in late 2016. Happy to report: the lantern posts are finally working :smiley:

Now I only need to finish the recipes and in-game texts…

Those lanterns are more in line with the AC theme. But I also want to make something fitting for RC. I tried to make a oil lamp version but it did look strange. If anyone has an idea for a RC lamp post, it would be much appreciated.

3 Likes

I will totally use that for either faction, still patiently waiting these awesome looking light posts.

Late here in Germany and I am tired now. But I hope I will find some time tomorrow to finish the wall mounted versions. They are required in the lantern post recipe. When all parts are together, I think I can upload an alpha version of my package (including lanterns, wall hangings and some other stuff).

@Fitzik: always nice to hear that people are interested in my stuff

1 Like