8BitCrab's voxel stuff

hmm…i see where you’re coming from, but in some ways i think it comes down to user preference and/or each persons art style…

also, when you’re talking about the colors stuff did you mean my models on a whole, or just the dark templar stuff? if the latter, well that’s kind of part of their design, in-universe the dark templar have always worn dull and dark colors, but maybe that just doesn’t translate well into art/model design…

i’m loving this discussion so far, its definitely an interesting topic… anyways, here’s another one of my Dark Templar characters,

The Old Commander

wearing a customized platemail and broken old helm, he’s the oldest living commander in the dark templar armies, he’s seen and survived more wars than anyone else in the templar ranks. he’s the only commander who has ever been allowed to modify his armor, he also is the only one who doesn’t have to keep his armor in good repair… unlike most of the commanders, he prefers to use a large two-handed hammer rather than a sword.

“whats that? speak up, i can’t hear you. oh, you want to hear how i lost my eye, eh? now that’s a long story my boy… huh? you don’t care how long it is? well, it goes like this…”

Bonus pic without his helm

the old commander is definitely one of my favorite characters. for anyone who’s wondering, yes, all the characters do have names, i’ve just been keeping them secret so far… i’m not sure how much i like the way the broken horn turned out, might have to do some more tweaking on that…

if i get time to finish the crossbow later, i’ll probably post some pictures of the more generic weapons.

15 Likes

well i got the time to finish it, so here are the “generic” (non character specific) Dark Templar weapons,

Flamberge & a random two-hander

ornate hammer & a mace

crossbow

some of you might recognize a couple of these from “armory expansion” and, well… what can i say, i really like the designs i used there so why not reuse them? :stuck_out_tongue:

my personal favorite by far is the crossbow, even if its not really historically accurate or anything…

next up… well… i’m probably going to be pretty busy for the rest of the week, so i can’t say whether i’ll be able to finish/show off anything else for awhile…

edit: just realized i forgot to show this piece,

Dark Templar Knights Shield

while the red design will stay the same, the two-tone grey “background” will change…

20 Likes

Crossbow is great indeed, but I fell in love with mace. Cmon, I’d never say you could make look so fine with few voxels. Btw all the templar outfits are cool. I’d love to see templay campaign :3

3 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Flamberge :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
Can I give more than one like?

Can I ask For a Poleaxe or/and a Zweihander?

So Loving it. Thanks 8Bit!

Have Fun, Kyth

1 Like

Wow nice, I really like the hammer and mace.

Zweihänders are basically the two-handed swors from the vanilla game :smile:

haha, thanks :smile: though i realize i forgot to give credit for the blade design this time, it was actually @chimeforest who made the blade design awhile back, and he was kind enough to let me use it… i just designed the handle… :stuck_out_tongue:

i actually do have a poleaxe design,

though i’m not sure that’s the design you’re looking for. it’s actually a really old model of mine, one of my first “from scratch” designs…

i also have a Zweihänder model, but its basically just the flamberge without the “notches” in it…

i’m glad everyone is liking these, hopefully i’ll get some time to work on more of this stuff later this week.

10 Likes

Actually, no. A Zweihänder is a particular type of 2 handed sword used mostly in Germany and Central Europe. What I was asking 8bitcrab was if he could make a design for a Zweihänder, not for a 2 handed sword. The mistake is understandable, but he understood me very well :slight_smile:

Great! It is lovely too!

Now we only need to implement them in the game :smiley:

Looking forward to… Have Fun, Kyth.

2 Likes

I know what exactly a Zweihänder is and to me the in-game sword looks very much like one (maybe apart from the crossguard)

so… i made a lot of backgrounds…

plus 2 more, but if i had added them into this the matrix would have been to big for magicavoxel…

also, @Kythandra, here’s a picture of the Zweihänder in Dark Templar colors.

11 Likes

It’s just beautiful. Thanks a lot. Very inspiring.

Have Fun, Kyth

2 Likes

All of your designs are great =D I especially like the mace and the shields =]

Also, thank you for keeping giving me credit for the Flamberge, it makes me smile each time I see it =3

2 Likes

alright, here’s another Dark Templar “unit”,

The King, Dresmond

King Dresmond is a sick old man, both in his health and in his mind. he commands the Dark Templar forces far away from the battlefield inside his “cozy” castle. the only thing he cares about is gaining more wealth, and he’ll gain it by any means necessary, even sacrificing all of the Dark Templar. even in his own kingdom, the king is called “Dresmond the Twisted”.

I care not what your name is or what you do, i only care of what you have to offer me. whats that? you have nothing to offer? well then… off to the dungeon with you.

even though he doesn’t actually fit into the lore of the dark templar, i really wanted to make a “king” :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

He looks amazing! Not exactly mad or old though :smile:

1 Like

“sick” and “mad” are two very different things :wink: and… lets just go with he hides his age well :laughing:

but that’s a picture of my “first pass”. i greyed his hair up since i took the picture earlier, along with a few other things to improve his overall look.

1 Like

Uhm, i know the difference between sick and mad, but you described him as mad too, right? I know it might be hard to visualize madness though, especially in voxel graphics.

EDIT: ok, you called it sick of mind, but to me he sounded mad^^

2 Likes

well i’m not saying he isn’t mad :wink: from that little piece of info/dialogue i gave, you barely get a taste of what the character is really like… and that goes for all the characters i’ve posted so far. if i had to sum up Dresmonds personality, i would say he’s like a mix between Emporer Palpatine and Grima Wormtongue…

also, here’s a couple more “generic” weapons,

Dwarven Two-hander & Basic Two-hander

Two-handed Axe & One Handed Axe

Ornate Mace

sadly the designs on the ornate mace can’t be seen with the shadows from magicavoxel… also, just noticed the one discolored voxel on the large axe’s handle, that will be fixed immediately.

hope you like them :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Wow @8BitCrab your stuff is getting really awesome. I’m glad to say your early skepticism was unfounded. I also love how you tie in lore into your creations.

Keep up the great work.
-Turtlesquish

1 Like

thanks so much :blush: its always encouraging to hear that i’m actually improving, as half the time i feel like i’m still just making “measly little shrooms”, so to speak…

i’m glad you like the lore stuff :slight_smile: sometimes i’m tempted to make a new thread just for explaining the lore behind each of my models… :laughing:

1 Like

Do it, its very hard to get traction but with the addition of pictures you may be able to pull it off.

1 Like