Workers won't start building

I do have a few details to add. After further testing, I found that workers won’t build buildings that include voxel by voxel elements and two stories. I made a new save, and gathered 100 wood and 100 stone, as well as made windows doors, etc. I then designed three buildings. The first like the one I included earlier. Another without voxel by voxel elements. And lastly one without the voxel by voxel elements and adding them back during construction. The workers refused to do anything at all to the first building. They build the second building completely, and stopped working on the third building after I added the voxel by voxel elements. This is with build 375.

1 Like

ah yes, i believe that i read that if you put the slab or “voxel by voxel” bits on before completed construction they wont finish the building

1 Like

I’m still seeing this problem, actually, in R375. See the attached video. I place a building blueprint at 3:10, then work with it to try to include stairs so my guys can reach the second floor, and then at 6:16 am finally done with that and set the house to be built, but no action is undertaken at all.

This was mentioned in a recent dev stream a swell, so I imagine the developers are aware of it.

2 Likes

Make sure you have enough stockpile room, the workers will queue to pick up items that don’t fit in the stockpile, also, make sure there are no trees/debris nearby that would prevent building.

is this still present in R-393?

Yep! I will report on it soon.

I’ve definitely had buildings that just won’t build too. One of the situations where it can occur is using the block tool to manually construct a staircase. One or two steps is fine, but when I went for stairs from one floor to the next, the hearthlings refused to even look at it.

That was precisely my thought. I did the exact same house that they wouldn’t build, except without the blocky stairs (and also without a bit of road out front, but I doubt that’s the cause), and that one was built just fine. Well… almost. There was still an issue, but I think that was something else entirely.

I ran into this problem myself, and I attributed it to a lack of actual workers. I had custom built a small 8x8, single story building along with a road, and no construction happened at all. At the time, I had no workers - they had all been promoted, but some were idle so I assumed they would take over anyway.

In any case, the daily update came along with a new villager. The new worker immediately went to task getting these projects ‘started’, and once started, other idle workers (independent of trade) chipped in to finish the job.

Then I tried to put a door in after the building was nearly complete (roof was underway) and the game came to a screeching halt. Not quite crashing, but game time all but stopped and the music began stuttering.

This occurred on the ‘latest’ branch last evening.

hello @Redenbacher09 welcome to the discourse :smile:

this is something you shouldnt do, make sure you have everything designed before the start of construction, otherwise the game could “break”, like you experienced here.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I’m glad to be back!

Yea… there’s a warning that tells me I am unable to edit buildings after I click ‘Build’. I didn’t heed that warning… I just needed a back door to get to the stockpile faster! :frowning:

So, as I posted in my last message above, I think this is due to blocky stairs. You can see in the attached video that the building I design between 12:46 and 17:04 (stairs between 15:50 and 16:51) does not get built when I order it built at 17:25 (still hadn’t been started at 18:43). I redesign an almost identical building but without stairs between 19:43 and 21:18 and have it built at 21:21. The workers start that one immediately.

I think it’s either the block tool itself that is causing the problem, or the fact that I placed some blocks in the same place where a wall would also be. I forgot about that because I was using the view that cut away walls where the camera is looking.

well unless its been fixed since, hearthlings generally wont build any buildings that have slabs present, other then second floors.

I’m having a similar issue I think? Workers won’t build any of my custom buildings. I’ll click “Start Building Now” and either (a) nothing happens (b) they dig out the foundation, and then stop, or © I get an error message.

Here’s the error message: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/520511262593524325/5076AE991C309CA3220B3A6DFCC82BF703C9125F/

The first building I made that didn’t work was literally just a floor (can’t link, at the link limit)

Then a more standard building, which also didn’t build
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/520511262593530825/DB669290039A7E09710EBC7D1BDE5D92E97E8967/

version is 393

The last one MAY be because sometimes they place scaffolding ladders 2 blocks out from the building but can’t do that here because of the farm?

1 Like

I think that’s the case on the last one too. The “skirt” on a building is one tile from the wall for the overhanging roof, plus one tile for ladders that need to reach the roof. Quite a few things, farms included, will prevent scaffolding being built on them and so prevent the building being completed.

2 Likes

how do you make buildings up against the sides?

Check out this link: http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/building-errors
It’s about half way down I explain how.

1 Like