Workers not building/following blueprints

Summary:
Hello,
I’ve noticed that when I load my savegame now, my workers will no longer build or follow any blueprints. In addition, three errors appear when I load my savegame. The text for the errors has been copied below.
I used a couple of cheats to finish some buildings after the workers had stopped constructing, and that seems to have exacerbated the issue.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a blueprint, start building.

Expected Results:
Workers begin construction on blueprint.

Actual Results:
Workers ignore blueprint and either remain idle or work on other jobs.

Notes:
For a while it seemed as though removing the blue print and re-adding it would allow the workers to start building again. That no longer seems to work. After using the ‘ib’ cheat a few times, it seems as though the workers will now longer build any buildings at all.

Attachments:
Error message pop up text is below:

release-663 (x32)
…ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:20: attempt to index field ‘_bp’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
…ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:20: in function ‘__user_init’
radiant/lib/unclasslib.lua:270: in function ‘__init’
radiant/lib/unclasslib.lua:201: in function ‘ConstructionRenderTracker’
…ers/construction_data/construction_data_renderer.lua:23: in function <…ers/construction_data/construction_data_renderer.lua:11>

release-663 (x32)
c++ exception: lua runtime error
stack traceback:

release-663 (x32)
…ehearth/renderers/fabricator/fabricator_renderer.lua:30: assertion failed!
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘assert’
…ehearth/renderers/fabricator/fabricator_renderer.lua:30: in function <…ehearth/renderers/fabricator/fabricator_renderer.lua:17>

Version Number and Mods in use:
No mods. Version A18.

I have actually notices one hearthling might not be able to get to a certain build to continue the blueprint

Welcome to the forum @mrplaid :smiley:

Do you still have the savefile where the workers didn’t start to build?
If so, could you upload it?

To upload a save, locate the folder in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install), zip the individual save’s folder (not the entire saved_games folder), and upload it. If the *.zip is less than 10 MB, feel free to upload it directly to the Discourse. If larger, please upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.

Sure thing. I’ve posted the link to the saved game in a zip file here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ze8viqao4ze2aiw/AACxpENOW7VSDW7ykLWD4rCda?dl=0

I did notice that the workers will dig the foundations for new buildings, but after that, they will not make any further progress on a blueprint.

Hello @mrplaid. It seems to me that your workers are quite busy hauling items (or just thinking), and they have hard time finding the materials. Your city is good for stressing the pathfinder.

I managed to get them to start building again by pausing some of the building projects, and teleporting wood to an accesible place like the top of the mountain that your knights are defending.

It took some time, but in the end they started building:

But now they won’t finish the other house in the middle, and I got again the error you posted. :disappointed_relieved:

Thanks for reporting!

Thanks! I hope my submission was helpful!

1 Like

Hi there, I may have a helpful save that has this exact problem but its not a matter of pathing, resource availability, or something like that. They can and should build but they don’t. I’m just trying to build a custom-made staircase, but no matter how much i tinker with its design to make it builder-ai friendly, it always gets stuck somewhere and there’s no reason the workers should stop work on it.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m83h02mrkyizhsu/AAD7sKyljHsrJBhHbszJCrqGa?dl=0

Hi @infinitymoo :slight_smile:

In your savefile the hearthlings were able to finish building the staircase, but I had to build some extra ladders for them.
However I didn’t see any clear indicator that they couldn’t reach the blocks, so it might be a good sample for @not_owen_wilson. I think they wanted to make new scaffolding but couldn’t reach the base or something.

A hearthling got trapped in the terrain while building, but I could free him with more ladders. When they stop without apparent reason, I tend to think that it’s the AI or the pathfinder which got busy, but I can be wrong :confused:

since i built it close to a ledge it makes sense that they might’ve struggled getting to the base or something. interestingly, if i use the staircase feature in the building designer, it works great. my custom staircase was made block by clock with slabs though, but i’ll take into consideration what u said and see what else we can figure out.

Doesnt make sence, in the latest version in my elforia the hearthlings have built without any problems close to edges

Hi have a better save now to mess around with build ai / other builder bugs, check the same folder link (Stonehearth bug saves) and check out the tier 2 stone mason house i made which won’t complete. Also interesting is the slightly customized carpenter’s house doesn’t want to finish either.

Related to the builder ai, but not to this specific issue thread:
Perhaps less of an “alpha” issue (more of a beta one i guess) is to look at those perimeter walls i’m building. I had a hearthling trap himself in one of them and die (you’ll see the gravestone in one of them). You’ll see I don’t have doors on them as they’re meant to be walls (which i built using the cool build tools using foundation, walls,roof. if that makes a diff in how the build ai works). So at some point we need to keep hearthlings from trapping themselves in these scenarios.

I’ll probably have to recreate this first before officially logging a bug, but found this in this save file too:
I have to add that there’s still an infinity dust bug. When I demolish a building and open menu immediately to save (while dust on screen), it seems to persist and the dust doesn’t go away until i load the game again. I haven’t tried recreating it on purpose, but got it to happen a few times roughly the same way.

Ok so what i did with the latest save in my shared dropbox older where 3 buildings are kinda broken - is that i quit, uninstalled, reinstalled (steam version is what i got), and opened the savegame again. Then I demolished the half-built (but stuck) stone mason tier 2 building and set a new one down. My hearthlings then not only finished building it but also the one perimeter tower i had placed. However my carpenter’s house was still not building.

This is interesting to me because it tells me that something made the hearthlings get ‘stuck’ in their thinking when building. I’m not sure what was necessary to “reset” their thinking (since i went all the way and removed and reinstalled the game), but the problem might lie in finding out how they get stuck - as opposed to ‘fixing’ builder-related behaviour code itself like build ai.

Hi
When i reload my save everytime these errors come up

Nick

Summary: release-663 (x64)
…ehearth/renderers/fabricator/fabricator_renderer.lua:30: assertion failed!
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘assert’
…ehearth/renderers/fabricator/fabricator_renderer.lua:30: in function <…ehearth/renderers/fabricator/fabricator_renderer.lua:17>

release-663 (x64)
c++ exception: lua runtime error
stack traceback:

release-663 (x64)
…ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:20: attempt to index field ‘_bp’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
…ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:20: in function '__user_init’
radiant/lib/unclasslib.lua:270: in function '__init’
radiant/lib/unclasslib.lua:201: in function ‘ConstructionRenderTracker’
…ers/construction_data/construction_data_renderer.lua:23: in function <…ers/construction_data/construction_data_renderer.lua:11>

Steps to reproduce:

1. Reload in a save

Expected Results: N/A

Actual Results: N/A

Notes: I belive My save has the error in it when i reload the game. But game still runs fine.

Attachments:

Version Number and Mods in use: Alpha 18 release 663 no mods

System Information:
Windows 7 ultimate SP1
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM 16GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Hey there @realconker15, welcome back!

If these errors are occurring each time you load the save, would you be able to upload the save for review?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install), zip the individual save’s folder (not the entire saved_games folder), and upload it. If the *.zip is less than 10 MB, feel free to upload it directly to the Discourse. If larger, please upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.

Hello

Thanks for get back to me so quickly.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By0eSiuEr0r8TjdwWEdsZnptUjQ?usp=sharing

Ive put 3 saves which all do the same problem.

Thanks
Realconker15

1 Like

Summary: I was creating pillars for a building. They were 3 blocks apart and I noticed they were in the wrong color, so I started deleting them. I then got an error popup and now I can no longer select or delete the remaining pillars. Not all buildings were effected as the main building they were going to be attached to is still editable.

Steps to reproduce:
Unknown. I’ve never had this happen before now, even doing the same thing.

Expected Results:
The ability to remove or edit the buildings.

Actual Results:
Unable to select or delete the buildings.

Notes:

Attachments:
Error popup.txt (500 Bytes)

release-663 (x64)
...ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:20: attempt to index field '_bp' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:20: in function '__user_init'
	radiant/lib/unclasslib.lua:270: in function '__init'
	radiant/lib/unclasslib.lua:201: in function 'ConstructionRenderTracker'
	...ers/construction_data/construction_data_renderer.lua:23: in function <...ers/construction_data/construction_data_renderer.lua:11>

Mod edit: embedded error text in post

Version Number and Mods in use:
A18 Release 663 (x64)

System Information:
Windows 10
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
AMD FX-9370 Eight-Core Processor

Hey there @Zanzibar, can you upload the save where this occurred?

@jomaxro I kinda deleted the save after I couldn’t get the building fixed. I’ll be sure to keep it next time.

1 Like

No worries! The save is useful for the devs as it is difficult to repro building issues - there’s just to many possibilities.