[WIP] The Manaforged - A Race and Magic Mod by Spoolicus

Purple’s everything from unnatural to scary to majestic. I think it’s a perfect color for magic. [As, it seems, does the developer of Minecraft’s Thaumcraft mod - you’re doing pretty light on the purple by comparison.]

I’m looking forward to seeing more of those concepts in 3D!

2 Likes

I may be a bit obsessed with the Thaumcraft mod. I’m probably going to draw inspiration from it at some point, if I haven’t subconsciously done so already. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Which is probably why so much purple has seeped in :wink:

3 Likes

Now that I think about it, that probably IS the reason. That mod is really cool though, will probably steal from it soon enough.

2 Likes

woah, awesome looking plants! I can tell that it’s a very evil(ish) type realm! :wink:

2 Likes

Just popping in really quickly to say that, as you may have guessed, the next update will be tomorrow.

Thanks for sticking with this project of mine so far! I’m excited to see where it goes. Until next time everyone!

1 Like

You and just about every one on the website who has a addiction to magical entities wants to see this mod.

Trust me you will never find a lack of support for this.:grin:

ow here a little this i just built off sudden inspiration off your mana forged and the golem concept.

The white spots are for the Arcanite when you have a actual picture.

1 Like

Hello again everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates yesterday, but rest assured I’m here to make up for it!

Today, we’ll be taking a look at some concepts I have for Golems. Specifically, “What are Golems and Why are They Useful?”

Golemancy and You: A Primer

“Beyond the unopenable doors lay a grand hall ending before a towering stone throne, upon which sat an iron statue taller and wider than two men. In one hand it clutched an iron sword, in the other, a feathered whip. We should have turned back then.” - Mordenkainen the Archmage, chronicling his party’s harrowing exploits in the dungeons below Maure Castle." (D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual, page 167)

Golemancy is the school of magic that focuses on creating autonomous arcane constructs that perform certain tasks. “A golem has no ambitions, needs no sustenance, feels no pain, and knows no remorse.” (Monster Manual, 167) Essentially, this means that a golem does not require any basic needs. No sleeping, eating, or anything of that nature.

A golem is created by imbuing it’s shell - be it made of wood, stone, clay, arcanite or other metals - with raw natural arcane energy. This brings the golem to life, though it has no purpose until its master, usually its creator, gives it a command. This command can come in many different forms. You can tell a golem to stand guard at a specific spot, and it will do so until the command is changed or it is otherwise destroyed. Golems make excellent defenders, especially those made of Iron or Arcanite.

Of course, there are many other tasks a golem can accept. Chopping down trees, mining out stone, that sort of thing. However, there are also drawbacks to creating golems. Let’s say, for instance, that a golem has been told to chop down trees, but there are absolutely none left? If a golem cannot perform his task, the golem has a chance to turn violent. Otherwise, the golem will do nothing. Or, lets say that the golem’s master has died. The golem will not accept any new orders, and will attempt to continue with his last given order. There are many ways this could be problematic, I’ll leave you to think of those situations.

Alright, so let’s say an enemy has made golems. Do these rules apply to him as well?
Of course. If, say there is a golem guarding the tomb of a long dead mage, he will still continue to guard until he is dead, since he cannot accept any new orders.

Why should we create golems for our town?
Good question! Golems are especially good at absorbing and dealing damage, depending on what you make them with. Therefore, it would stand to reason that they make excellent expendable fighters. Iron, stone, Arcanite, and many other metallic golems fit into this category. Simpler golems, like Wood and Clay, are better suited to doing more menial tasks.

That’s it for this update folks! Thanks for waiting a bit, and I hope to continue with my apparent once (or twice) a day schedule. This mod is really interesting so far, at least for me. I kinda just let my mind go with whatever I’m coming up with at the time, haha. Thank you all for reading, and if you have any questions, comments, feedback, criticisms, or suggestions, feel free to post them here or PM me privately about it! I’m always looking for new material![quote=“Aetwit, post:27, topic:18877”]
You and just about every one on the website who has a addiction to magical entities wants to see this mod.

Trust me you will never find a lack of support for this.
[/quote]

Thanks for saying so! I’m glad I could deliver! (or, at least in concept so far :stuck_out_tongue:)

4 Likes

awesome update, and an interesting read! can’t wait to see your golem models!

2 Likes

Me neither, haha. I’ll try to make them fairly distinctive. I want them all to have a different kind of look to them. Wood should be less refined, Clay maybe with some odd proportions, Stone more ornate, that sort of thing.

2 Likes

for some reason i just imagined the clay one having some old shattered pottery in it…

2 Likes

Haha, nothing says I can’t add variants :wink:

2 Likes

You are indeed really good at this! I am not a huge fan of MODs (kinda think they corrupt the original game) but I will sure check this out when it happens.

2 Likes

The Golemancy… I LOVE IT! <3

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to more of this, I don’t use any mods but this I will have to use.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay guys! Been a bit sick the past few days. Rest assured I haven’t abandoned it, and I’m actively thinking of how all of this is going to work.

2 Likes

No worries! I am sure this will be a great mod! And definitely will be worth waiting as it may take a long time to make, I don’t code or anything like that so I wouldn’t know but I am definitely going to get this mod when it gets done!

2 Likes

no need to apologize mate! as i like to say, life should always come before the fun. :slightly_smiling:

and its not like you chose to be sick… did you?

3 Likes

I mean, does anyone really want to work retail? :wink:

3 Likes

sounds very interesting for me. I will finishing reading the full thread.
Maybe I can help with scripting…

edit: I like the D&D references.

Are you thinking about making a “Golemancer” class? How is able to control 1-3 Golems?
If you have some repos or mods to share, i am interessted in it. You can pm me.

edit 2:
@Spoolicus Most of the hard work is done in other mods.
The Stonehearth Cafe Mod gives various ways for new new recipies (even with small “modindicator”, didn`t noticed this before), gives quests and individual texts via messages boxes (like candledark or frostfeast mod), gives an craftable, animated structure part for buildings (this can be very usefull for magical stuff) (i mean the windmill) and gives structure what is able to procude items (the well and the honeystations). Its a very good look up source for stuff you mention before.

The Candyland Terran Mod can help you with all the extra enviorment you create. This sounds exactly like the stuff you wants to build. This mod overrides the standard trees with different models and texts, I think in the future its better to create new trees/bushes and give the world generator the infos. I think at the end is neseccary to edit the world generation (maybe not, but at least not in the beginning).

4 Likes