What are some of your favorite books/series?

yes, yet another “what’s your favorite” thread, in a thinly veiled attempt at increasing my likes bringing us all that much closer together… :stuck_out_tongue:

as for my own, its a toss-up between several series, which i suppose i’ll list in order of prominence:

• Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

• Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein

• Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

• Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

• Redwall by Brian Jacques

(and more recently, tied in 6th position)

the Harry Potter & Percy Jackson series…

so, what books keep you up late at night? :smiley:

6 Likes

Gaunt’s Ghosts by: Dan Abnett

Followed by:

Horus Heresy by: (many different writers)

1 Like

Hmm this is by no means an exhaustive list but those that come immediately to mind are:

• Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein

• Enders Game Series by Orson Scott Card

• Assasin’s Trilogy by Robin Hobb

• Any/All stories by H.P. Lovecraft

• All things by Ian Banks (especially the culture novels)

• All Conan stories by Robert E Howard

Yeah that pretty much sums up my formative literary influences, undoubted many I have forgotten.

Edited to follow the Admiral’s fine formatting but I keep getting told that the body of the message is too similar to my previous post. Hopefully this full and unnecessary explanation will help in that regard.

3 Likes

I was up till 5am last night reading Enders Game, which we’ll toss to the number three spot, since one and two must go to my favorite author.

My favorite author for quite a while has been Brent Weeks, who wrote The Night Angel Trilogy and is currently writing the third book in the Lightbringer series.

We’ll give number four to Oliver North, for his trilogy of Mission Compromised, The Jericho Sanction, and The Assassins.

I think number five is going to have to go to Joelle Charbonneau for The Testing, greatly looking forward to the next book in that series.

So I guess that makes it:

• Lightbringer Brent Weeks

• The Night Angel Trilogy Brent Weeks

• Enders Game Orson Scott

• Mission Compromised, Jericho Sanction, The Assassins Oliver North

• The Testing Joelle Charbonneau

But of course, a great amount of credit must go to The Hardy Boys, since they comprised nearly 90% of my reading from like 4yrs old up till I was probably 10 (Yes, I started reading pretty early, my parents saw to that. And I never had much interest in picture books, haha.)

Edit: Although I must say, I could quite easily do a top twenty list for my favorite books, and that might even just scratch the surface of literature I enjoy, there’s a reason I write like I do.

“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” -Albert Einstein

2 Likes
  1. Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
  2. The first law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
  3. The Discworld series by Sir Terry Pratchett
  4. The gone series by Michael Grant
  5. Hunger games ( forgot author )
  6. Any books Ive read in the past because every book is a good book

He who destroys a good book is guilty of ignorance - Socrates

(One of my favourite quotes)

3 Likes

The First Law (along with the spinoff Best Served Cold. Amazing books, one of the few series that doesn’t end on a happy note, and almost all of the characters get screwed over in the end, in a satisfying way that they normally deserve. Very little contrived topics within the books, if something bad is about to happen, it’ll probably happen without your hero bursting through the next door over. Only thing bad with these series (mostly Best Served Cold) is that Joe Abercombie focuses waaaaaaaay to much on some of the sex scenes, some just being there to… well, just be there. While they are more graphic, they are no where near as numerous as A Song of Ice and Fire’s scenes, and they normally serve a point (but, as I said, sometimes not).

2 Likes

Mmm, the classics. :slight_smile: This is a great collection of favorites.

For me, in addition to the stuff listed above, anything by Lois McMaster Bujold, but especially her Vorkosigan Saga and her Curse of Chalion and its 2 sequels.

Likewise, most things by Jim Butcher: Harry Dresden starting at book 3 and Codex Alera starting at book 2.

3 Likes

It’s things like this that make me realise how guilty I am of not reading enough fiction over the last few years …don’t worry I’m looking to rectify that! I’ll stick with a top 3 for now!

1. Kafka On The Shore - Haruki Murakami

2. The Left Hand of God Trilogy - Paul Hoffman

3. I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

4. The Halo Books - Guilty pleasure.

Going to read:

• Ubik - Phillip K. Dick
  • Fight Club - Chuck Palahnuik
  • Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
  • Definitely more Haruki Murakami

And with that, I’m off to bed!

2 Likes

Name of the Wind & Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (Probably the best two books written of all time)

Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan (Just finished these, easily ties Rothfuss for best of all written literature)

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie (Really good, glad to see this on so many others’ lists too).

My first non-vanilla content for Stonehearth modules may borrow from Riyria I enjoyed it so much.

2 Likes

The Darkness - Comic Book
Spawn - Comic Book
Dead Space Martyr - Game Novel

Basically anything including death in every detail (as bad as that sounds)

2 Likes
  1. The Power of Five series by Anthony Horowitz
  2. The Stonehearth trilogy by Ian Rankin
  3. The Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz (but you lose your head if you dare mention that abomination of a film)
  4. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (although I haven’t read them since number 5 and
    it’s up to like 8000000 or something now)
1 Like

definitely… i’ve got this, and have been meaning to read it for some time (i know i read part of it when i was much younger)

i’ve wanted to read these as well, but have yet to dive in…

wow, one of my colleagues had recommended this to me as well! suppose i’ll take a closer look… :wink:

the same colleague (:arrow_up:) recommended this as well…

i forgot to mention two of my favorites earlier too! i read these when i was much younger…

• The Belgariad by David Eddings

• Lost Swords by Fred Saberhagen

and now, for a random smattering of noteworthy authors:

• R.A. Salvatore

• Mercedes Lackey

• Raymond Feist

1 Like

If you’re going to read the whole series, you should probably start with book 1, but Butcher’s writing really shines up as the series progresses. It’s like watching a webcomic transform from (expressive!) stick figures to digital paintings.

1 Like

and with that ringing endorsement, i think i’ll grab them for the kindle… should really spruce up the morning commute!

thanks… :smile:

1 Like

It sure will, you driving the wrong way down the motorway at 70, cars skidding in all directions trying to avoid you as you drive blissfully along, eyes transfixed to the screen. :car: :smile:

2 Likes

hahahaha… :stuck_out_tongue:

thankfully, Houston provides for some wonderful mass transit… i take the metro :bus: from my subdivision to downtown, and then hop on the metro :train: from downtown to the medical center…

1.5 hours of uninterrupted reading… :+1:

2 Likes

anything by Raymond E Feist, but more specifically the Serpent war saga (his best imo).

also The hobbit + LOTR by Tolkien

The occasional Stephen King Novel ( IT- totally awesome)

The Dragon Bone Chair - Tad Williams

The Redemption of Athalus- David Eddings

Plus hundreds of other fantasy novels

1 Like

just to name a few:

• the Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein.
  • Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.
  • A lot of stuff by Isaac Asimov.
  • The Rama seriece by Arthur C. Clarke
  • Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling.
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams.
  • and a lot more…
1 Like

I absolutely love the inheritance cycle (eragon/eldest/brisngr/inheritance)
Also amongst my favorites are both of conn gulden’s series (both “emperor” and “conqueror)
and the paladin prophecy (mark frost)

2 Likes

Hmmm lets see, with danger of repeating others:

• Pilot Pirx stories from Stanislaw Lem
  • The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (the 4 sequels gradually get worse)
  • The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov
  • Otherland by Tad Williams
  • Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
  • Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (the whole series is good)
  • Hyperion by Dan Simmons
  • Neuromancer by William Gibson
  • Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin

That should be reading fun for a good year :smiley:

2 Likes