Unable to make custom buildings

Hey there my fellow Hearthlings!

I picked up this game a few days ago and it has proved to be both fun and addicting. I started out simple, mostly using default buildings or very simple designs as I figured out how everything works. Once I felt a little more confident, I created a new game and played around with the building editor. Unfortunately, I have been trying for 2 days now to get something, anything to work, to no avail. Every building fails to even get completed and the one that did had a bunch of scaffolding everywhere. I took the time to destroy it all via console command but was never able to make the 2nd floor reachable for my hearthlings. I was planning on just using a ladder but could not create a ladder at the required length, it always stopped a little short of the 2nd floor. My latest creation was a desert building, using a layout I thought was simple and straightforward (2 stories, nothing fancy beyond custom made stairs). They built both floors and stairs, started building the walls and then every worker went idle.

I have seen screenshots of towns with buildings more intricate than what I was trying to build that seemed to work just fine so my question is: what am I doing wrong? How do you make a 2 floor house without glitching out the workers? If custom stairs are a no-go and ladders cannot be placed inside properly, how do you make the second story accessible? I want to play this game so bad but I feel it doesnā€™t love me back :frowning:

This is a picture of the last building I made that refuses to be completed.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/476626350616195036/C99D93F926B59A0CE0CE3AB92F1B86BD998C5EAC/

Any input from the more experienced players would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

hey there @CerberusCRW, welcome to the discourse :smile:

there definitely are some building related problems, not to mention an entire thread devoted to buildings/templates that hearthlings refuse to build.

hmmā€¦ my guess with that building is, being Rayyaā€™s Children, you might have run out of wood for scaffolding, could you check and make sure you still have wood in your inventory?

I had no idea the scaffolding actually used wood, I thought it was just a cute little visual. Indeed, I had ran out of wood. Harvested some more and waddya know, they went right back to building! Thank you for your help! <3 Looks like this construction wasnā€™t doomed after all, I was just a dummy. Iā€™m also very happy to learn custom stairs arenā€™t breaking the construction process.

Iā€™m still unsure what broke my previous buildings though. I had plenty of wood in my inventory. Perhaps it was the extra layer of foundation? (aka, the building was built on a 1 block high custom-made foundation). I deleted that game in frustration but if I encounter similar problems Iā€™ll post in the ā€œbuildings that wonā€™t be builtā€ thread.

Thanks again!

1 Like

glad to know thats all that was the matter with that one! but it does bring up the fact that building as RC can be a bit of a pain sometimes due to a somewhat limited supply of woodā€¦

hmmā€¦ ā€œfoundationsā€ shouldnā€™t be causing problems anymore, would need a screenshot of those ones to figure out the problem, but seeing as they are no longer around it doesnt matter anymore.

that would be great, as every buggy template the team gets the more they can fix!

no problemo mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like I celebrated too quickly. My hearthlings built the second floor entirely, covered every inch of wall in scaffolding, wasting a lot of wood in the process, and then abandoned the building, leaving the 1st floor unfinished. I guess Iā€™ll just wait until the problem is patched in a later update and set the game aside for now :frowning: Itā€™s a shame, I really enjoyed playing it.

if you have the template of that building you could always upload it in that other thread, that way the team is more likely to look at it and get the problem fixed sooner.

1 Like

Alpha 15 is here! Looks like they fixed a lot so I figured Iā€™d give it another shot. Started a new game, edited my first building from scratch and I was hit with this error message halfway through:

release-537 (x64)
ā€¦onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:313: attempt to index local ā€˜entityā€™ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:223: in function 'report_tracebackā€™
radiant/modules/common.lua:234: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:228>
ā€¦onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:313: in function ā€˜_trace_entityā€™
ā€¦onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:123: in function ā€˜_restore_structure_tracesā€™
ā€¦onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:77: in function 'objā€™
radiant/modules/events.lua:73: in function 'instanceā€™
radiant/modules/events.lua:206: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:200>
[C]: in function 'xpcallā€™
radiant/modules/common.lua:243: in function 'xpcallā€™
radiant/modules/events.lua:200: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:171>

I can no longer edit the building nor remove it. Reloading the game only prompts me with that error message right away. Iā€™ll start over again and try it one more time butā€¦ man, this is getting depressing ;_; I swear this game hates me. Itā€™s like an adorable kitty that bites every time you try petting it.