Building won't get built, even with all materials

Summary:
This probably gets posted every day but I may as well add my two cents.

Hearthlings don’t finish buildings. No reason to explain it. It’s just very glitchy. There could be reasons for it, but the game does not explain those reasons, or offer ways to resolve them.

Seems to be a popular bug… https://goo.gl/z7hz3q

Steps to reproduce:

1. Build something
  2. Almost done…
  3. Everyone is idle or doing something else, and the house is still in scaffolding and most objects aren’t placed, and they ignore the building.

Expected Results:
They should build the whole building, or at least give me some information so I can fix it.

Actual Results:
They don’t.

Notes:
Every post on the internet says “Try giving them a little nudge, build something, change their role, etc”. None of that works. The best solution so far is to delete the building, cry a little bit, and try again. So far, only 1 out of 4 buildings have actually been completed. And it was a simple 1-story dining room.

Attachments:
New users can’t upload attachments, so here’s links instead:

The building: Google URL Shortener
An older building that also broke (no longer in save file, deleted it): Google URL Shortener
Save File: Google URL Shortener

Version Number and Mods in use:
Release-663 (0.18.0) x64
No mods

System Information:
Settings #1) https://goo.gl/vxZX6W
Settings #2) https://goo.gl/YGkHe7
Settings #3) https://goo.gl/OMjmwV
Settings #4) https://goo.gl/Obmr6Y

CPU: Intel i5-2500k
RAM: 16gb DDR3
Video: NVidia GTX 760 4gb
Storage: 1TB+256G+256G+128G+128G SSD’s

More system info: https://goo.gl/qzZzS1

Did I forget anything?

1 Like

When this happens I find the most often cause is that you don’t have enough wood for scaffolding.
It leads them to stop working without causing any errors, or showing up on the materials menu.

Is part of “Build Something” include building a ladder? Sometimes hearthlings decide to stop, and a ladder in the right place will start them up again. Of course, if that’s not that case, then it’s probably a bug in the underlying code.

The only thing I’ve used ladders for is in my mine which isn’t near the structure. I placed a ladder inside and I’ll see if they build that.

Thanks for the idea, hadn’t considered that one.

I’ve got tons of wood: https://goo.gl/TgTJ5V / https://goo.gl/r2kXTh

In fact it looks like the entire structure of the building is completed.

I had a building once that got about halfway up before stopping on me. I was so confused at the time, as it looked to me like they could climb to everywhere, why wouldn’t they build? On a whim I built a ladder going up to one of the corners. Lo’ and behold, apparently that apparently inaccessible block stopped everything. They then finished the building and removed all scaffolding and ladders.

Lesson of the story? If at first your hearthlings don’t succeed… tell em’ they suck, build a ladder, then upload your template to this thread, along with details about where they stopped, if you could get them going again, and how.

What about when they don’t need a ladder? They won’t finish this wall now either: https://goo.gl/9h5igC

I guess I give up with this game for now. 1/5 buildings is not a good ratio.

Hi @Radley_Sustaire, welcome to the forum.

Could you upload the savefile so that we can take a look?

To upload a save, locate the folder in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install), zip the individual save’s folder (not the entire saved_games folder), and upload it. If the *.zip is less than 10 MB, feel free to upload it directly to the Discourse. If larger, please upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.

This happend to me alot. Are you building two buildings at the same time? Or build another building while one is under construction? If so, the first building wont be finished, and you have to finish it via the console. (CNTRL + C --> Select the building --> ‘ib’). This will instabuild the building.

It’s linked under attachments. Does that file work for you?

Oh there’s a cheat for it? That’s good. Might make it playable again.

It says that the goo.gl shortlink has been disabled.

I have the same problem as OP. All the items are there, hearthlings built up all the scaffolding but went idle shortly afterwards. Some sort of retry build command perhaps. In the past I’ve caused this issue to happen when I placed two buildings too close and the scaffolding of the first interrupted the second and neither would be built on any longer. So I’d also request a way to cancel parts of a build or a single wall or section at a time. I can also place a built item like a forge into a building as they are making the building and that stops them from building. Sometimes it even clones the item I tried to move.

this is not the case as of A19 scaffolding is free [quote=“thelegorebel, post:3, topic:26093, full:true”]
Is part of “Build Something” include building a ladder? Sometimes hearthlings decide to stop, and a ladder in the right place will start them up again. Of course, if that’s not that case, then it’s probably a bug in the underlying code.
[/quote]

no if ladders are required they build them first

Ahem. Abra Kadabra @jomaxro i summon thee please upgrade the op so he can post uploads directly @Radley_Sustaire can you try to build on the a19 latest branch (or supply a save so i can test it for you if you dont want to upgrade to the latest branch for testing then go back either works i had this problem way back in a 15 but havent had the issue since

I also had this problem ,but now i can fix it most of the time.
first off indeed check your building supplies ( stone / wood) if one is missing they will stop

Then come the tricks :slight_smile:
put the game on pause till the bar below no longer moves . this seems to fix a lot of my building problems. there have been times i had to wait 2 min for the engine in the back processed it all

third option save and reload the game. this also resets a lot of stuff even builders getting stuck in the building…
also check if no hearthstone is stuck somewhere as he/she might be the next action to be done on your building

hope this helps you out :slight_smile:

good tips another good thing i did to fix is save the game (not with overwrite but make a new save for each structure sometimes strangely verifying game cache (steam has occasionally found 1 or 2 files that weren’t quite saved to the hard drive properly during downloads of updates)

So I’ve managed to narrow down my own problems with buildings not being built to three reasons:

1. There are not enough materials (not furniture that can be auto-queued) to build the building when you start.
  2. Two wall hanging items in the same vertical line (like a sign above a wall oil-lamp) causes a conflict.
  3. Hearthlings remove ladders/scaffolding in the wrong order and they won’t continue building until they remove the ladders they want to, but now can’t reach.

Number 1 Possibly can be corrected by saving/reloading but I haven’t tested it enough to be sure, and it’s easy to avoid by having enough materials.

Number 2 I avoid by not putting any lamps or signs on my building until after it is totally complete. I don’t put furniture in it either but the game seems to be okay with furniture on the floor, it’s the walls that give it trouble.

Number 3 can be worked around if you can find the scaffolding they can’t reach. You can just manually create a ladder to it, the hearthlings will then be able to clear the auto-generated scaffolding and continue construction. Buildings that give me this problem (my modified Where I have had this problem I usually had this problem and successfully worked around it I had multiple cases of ladder issues at various points in construction.

If you can’t find the offending ladder, save the game and destroy the building. I have seen the whole building demolish itself except for the ladder! A hearthling will now try to path to this ladder (probably floating in mid-eair), giving you a green line to it. Remember where it is and load your save. Now just build ladders manually so your hearthlings can reach it.

i’ve had some of the simplest structures that they build and then just ignore… and some of these things I can’t even delete becuase i dunno. I’ve got over 300 wood… I’ve tried “nudging” them by destroying that ONE step they did build and rebuilding it but they only come back and rebuild it than continue to ignore the rest…

the annoying part is i can’t figure out how to cancel the building either. so that shadow of the building they ignoredis always there when i go into build mode.

Hey there @exwinter23, welcome to the Discourse :smiley:! Can you upload the save game that has the affected building?

To upload a save, locate the folder in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install), zip the individual save’s folder (not the entire saved_games folder), and upload it. If the *.zip is less than 10 MB, feel free to upload it directly to the Discourse. If larger, please upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.