Tree Stump Mod 🌱

why not just extend the time it takes to regrow? make it like, 5 days or something like that? try making variants like a 2 day, 5 days, 7 days, 2-week version or something like that. I honestly wish that mods had settings in the game to tweak so one can balance it as they wish.

4 Likes

yeah instead of just a check box for the mod tab, to be able to like expand the mod and adjust the settings in game would be sweet, but I think thats a ways off

1 Like

anyway I did some googling

and the ratio for tree growth is 1:2:3

juniper 10y
oak 20y
acacia 30y
pine 30y
~give or take 5 years

translated into the game? instead of years make these days. if its too long, make it half the time. seems reasonable since every tree will do this. I imagine you would still want to plant a tree farm somewhere more convenient and space efficient so I see nothing but good things from having this mod

one idea to further balance it is to adjust wild tree growth and planted tree growth separately. so that wild trees take longer to grow, but a farm takes less.

3 Likes

this would work flawlessly in with the forester class if anyone ever resurrects it. One can make it so that the forester chops down the trees but NOT the tree stumps and have the forester tend to the stumps until they regrow and then voila, chop them down again. The forester could also maybe be related to the carpenter class in that they can craft some (not all) of what the carpenter can craft on its own workbench like chairs and tables. Tho that’s a discussion for the carpenter class thread I guess. Not that anyone seems to have the intention of actually bringing it back. sigh sigh

2 Likes

so what I did is make a template for placing trees
3x3x2 so you got 18 trees and can make log piles super easy. the squares are 4x4 and the gap is 2 between each square

tree farm template.zip (28.6 KB)

2 Likes

Hi, I’m new here (and don’t know how to make/edit mods) can someone make these 2 mods compatible with MOD - Anórien Biome. Thank you in advance

1 Like

just a friendly reminder to eventually add this to steam workshop!
for those that are wondering this still works in alpha 24 test version, you just have to manually add it to the mods folder

tree_stump_regrow.smod (1.7 KB)

2 Likes

Sure. It is a small and finished mod, doesn’t require any maintenance.
I will just give a final clean up and later I can upload it there in Steam.

5 Likes

thanks!
I still have the old regrow code as well, I can’t seem to find it on this thread tho. added it to my previous post

1 Like

yes please! this one is always very flavourfull! @workshop

2 Likes

How can i add this mechanic to the new Arctic biome and its trees ?

1 Like

Without this mod, it requires creating and adding a component to the trees that will run code when they “die”, this code will add the stump in its place.

With the mod, don’t worry, I’m going to add it, right now. proceeds to work on it

Question: Should all/any tree have this? (including any mod)
For those not properly setup it would be just a default stump instead of a custom one.

3 Likes

i thought the arctic biome whas vanilla ^^
is the question meant for me ?

1 Like

arctic is vanilla, but it uses new trees that are not yet recognized by this mod.
The question is open to anyone willing to answer :slight_smile: Because I have to manually add the stump models, it would be a colossal work to create stumps for all trees, including from other mods. So the idea was to use a generic model for everyone (that hasn’t its own yet)

2 Likes

Ah yes, well two stumps would be enough
the generic for medium and large pine trees and a single block for small pines and juniper i suppose

1 Like

patch_notes_button Mod Updated

It is still basically the same.

Download:
Through Steam Workshop, or :up: At the first post. :up:

Changes:

• All trees now have stumps when cut. Those without a proper stump model for its type will just use a generic model. (All vanilla trees have custom stumps)
  • Removed their ability to regrow into saplings. Not needed anymore as we have a proper game mechanic for that now using seeds, and also because the same stump can be used in multiple trees, so there is no easy way to know to which tree it should grow to.
6 Likes

if another mod had custom trees, can they mod this mod to add in the custom stumps?

1 Like

@illdred - That is definitely possible, yes :smiley:

Sorry to reply to this question on your thread, Bruno - but I also came to comment that I didn’t know how much I needed this mod until I tested it!
Thank you! :merry:

1 Like

Even simpler. In the tree itself, add to its entity_data:

{
	"entity_data": {
		"tree_stump:stump_data": {
			"stump_alias": "tree_stump:trees:juniper:medium:stump"
		}
	}
}

Replace tree_stump:trees:juniper:medium:stump with the alias of your custom stump.

4 Likes

Just a minor report:
Acacia stumps seem to be a little offset with their position
And when chopping stumps you can still see the leaves falling/smoke effect in the middle of the air, maybe change it to a common resource node (like piles) in terms of animation?

And finally, they have no description at all - albeit not really needed, it feels a bit off since pretty much everything we click in the game has a small description, even if obvious like “A small boulder” :blush:

Other than that, amazing mod! So simple yet so cool, I’ll always use it from now on!

2 Likes