Trapper as Combat Unit... Kind of

Someone in the stream brought up Trappers as a combat role. At first it didn’t make much sense to me as to why an animal killer would want to fight goblins. Then i thought it out, why not the trapper be a sub combat unit. To have the ability not only to set traps for animals, but for goblins. I think this would be a cool mechanic to add.

Say goblins keep coming into your town and you don’t have enough footman to take care of the problem. The trapper would have the ability to setup a trap, maybe using food or wood some kind of resource. Then the goblin comes along and attempts to take the resource then bam, he’s either killed or stunned depending on the trap used.

I mean a quick fix would be to have the engineer class be able to make traps and workers can place them, but that’s too simple.

I’m not saying that the trapper should be a main combat unit, but maybe a role to play in defence. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

IIRC, one of the un implemented trapper’s level perks is going to do just that.

2 Likes

hmm… I would like to see the source. i didn’t know this was already a thing in development.

lol Yeah I was the one that brought it up. But I didn’t mean for the trapper to be a main combat unit. It’s that the trapper is out of the town from safety. So when goblins show up, the trapper shouldn’t run and quiver like reg villagers, but fight. That way u can send footman or the like to back the trapper up when u notice. The only reason I brought this up, is the fact most times your building ur village or mining, and zoned on that, Not keeping an eye on the trapper. The trapper does do a good amount of dmg on their own. I have had the trapper wipe 3 gobs at once, so it is doable.

2 Likes

If you look at the Trapper in the game, their final skill is to lay traps for “more dangerous prey” or something, so it’s eluded that this means goblins

4 Likes

On the character info panel, under the “Job Abilities” tab, their level 6 ability is “The Deadliest Catch: Lay special traps to ‘deter’ aquisitive neighbours.”

3 Likes

I like the idea of having a “civilian” class bringing a little bit of extra military power. The Trapper could also be a base class allowing for an evolution into a hunter/archer.

you are indeed correct! can’t wait to see how this ends up working/looking … :smile:

3 Likes

and the obvious bait in his goblin traps are beds…

5 Likes

To me, the trapper is someone who goes out of town to hunt things, and so has to be quite independent. If he’s caught out there, no footmen will be coming to save him. As a result, making him able to automatically defend himself (at least when not outnumbered or w/e) or w/e seems sensible to me.

5 Likes

He does decent damage by himself, so if you want him to fight having a high spirit and body and he’ll handle himself better than the average level one footman. (And being that he’s out there alone it’s a good idea to make him fight, he won’t make it back otherwise.)

Though I wish I could just draft him, maybe that becomes a perk? Maybe a sleeping bag perk? I don’t know what my point was anymore.

1 Like

one thing i noticed was almost everyone said “him” or “he” what about all the lady trappers? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My trapper is always a lady and renamed “Lily”

Since I go off health my guys are usually left unamed unless they do something awesome in which case I add a [Title] in front of their name. I think I’ve only had one girl Trapper… Wandered off right before a crash.