Too many items, stops hearthlings from working

Title:
Too many items stops hearthlings from working

Summary:
I have a map with about 20-30 chests and storage areas. I also have loads of wood, loot, crafted items, and mining debris on the ground.
My hearthlings just do nothing but stand around for a bit then go pick up one item and deposit it. Then stand around for a while again.
They stand around so much actually start starving themselves to death again.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have 20 hearthlings.
  2. Have close to 1000 items that are owned by you on the ground not in storage. Have about 1000 items in storage. Have 15 chests on the ground with storage areas everywhere.
  3. Watch hearthlings stand around

Expected Results:
Hearthlings put stuff away

Actual Results:
Hearthlings are idle and die.

Notes:
Pausing the game works to let them get something assigned. But unpausing they forget.

Attachments:

Versions and Mods:
Latest Stable Release:

System Information:
Mac Book Pro Late 2013
2.8i7.
16gb Ram.
Windows 10.

have you tried using the console ā€˜resetā€™ command to give them a bit of a kick in the rear?

Found out how to do it. Fixes the problem a little bit. But then after about 1-2 min same issue with idle units.

Also doing a reset makes the hearthlings move on map like I am picking them up and sliding them over.

I think this is a known issue. Although you ā€œownā€ the items, your Hearthlings still have a need to place them into storage. Each item that needs to be placed into storage (in this case the thousands of wood, loot, crafted items, etc) creates a ā€œtaskā€ on the AI system. In this example, the AI is creating 1000 tasks which is causing an overload on your computer system, and, in turn, causing the Hearthlings to freeze.

Though the team continues to work on performance issues, Iā€™m not sure how quickly this can be resolved.

If youā€™d like to continue playing this save, Iā€™d suggest you make stockpiles directly under the items, and slowly (filter by filter) remove them from those stockpiles into your designated storage systems.

I found a way to fix the hearthlings to start working. By pausing the game.

There are 2 processes taking up most of the processing time. ā€œLUAā€ and ā€œfilter cache cbā€.
When I pause the game Both LUA and filter cache cb take less percentage, and pathfinder goes up to 70-80% which takes about a minute then after what I presume calculations are finished idle process kicks in.

I tried the storage technique and it does not seem to fix the problem.
I have about 100 items to pick up with 20 hearthlings and they pick up one thing, then stop and wait around.
The only thing that seems to work is pausing waiting for pathfinder process to get some processor time then pushing play again.
The game has serious issues when filter cache cb takes up a lot of processor time.

The issue with high filter cache cb is being discussed here:
http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/high-filtered-cache-cb/16985

I understand the Hearthlings painā€¦ My ocd is acting up just looking at the pictures. MUST PICK UP EVERYTHING AT ONCE :camel:

im in the same boat, I want them to clean up as they goā€¦
thatā€™s why I have to wait till they get an unstable a13 release to steam :grimacing:

Working on Dev-2697 and this is still a problem. Only solution is to pause wait for pathfinder to get some CPU time then resume. LUA takes most of CPU while playing the game.

I would say it is worse in this version. I have 10 people, and they are idle I made them only use the AI to Haulā€¦ but still they stand around.

Hey @leetcat, before I drag this out of resolvedā€¦can you try this on dev-2699 which was just released (with an idle hearthling fix)?

Can confirm that it is fixed.

1 Like