Tobias' Norsemen (and women) WIP

I think the general rule of thumb is use the smallest possible size you can and still keep the details, then scale it up to the right size in animation/in-game.

Edit: Example my Elephant model is just slightly larger than the base human (35x51x44) but the monocle is massive compared to him (11x11x5)

Hello, I have not abandoned or wandered off. I am just working through my list of stuff that needs done. So This weekend I should get one of the bigger bits mostly done (Animation tool widget thingy) and I will be able to get back to building stuff.

And a good thing I did pop by, seriously a fellow turns away from his thread for 2 minutes and returns he finds it littered with word play and elephants. @Newf, @KingMooCow I’m looking at you :wink:

@Paranundrox I am digging your work and appreciate your calming influence

@GrimMethod The building scale from what I understand is 1 block = 10 civ blocks. So the doors are 4x6 and the height of each floor is 10 blocks per floor (though this height can be higher if it is a single story building and you include the gables and measure to the peak of the roof). As for all other things Tom has said in the streams that the fewest blocks that still allow it to ‘read’ is the way, this from context appears to be a reference to other civs, mobs, critters and titans. My own view and this seems to fit with what we have seen is anything that is a prop, weapon, furniture that is directly interacted with by the civs should be using the same scale so modeling with a guy in the scene is the way to go (see workshop livestream).

Anyway this turned a bit wall-of-text-y

Tobias Heading off to work … bah

4 Likes

Take you time… there is quite a way to go prior Beta and I like your approach to prepare and create a base which helps you later on. Future mod > actual art :wink:.

1 Like

@TobiasSabathius I GOT MENTIONED BY ONE OF THE BEST QUBICLE CREATORS EVER!!!

Plus, then we can “borrow” his frameworks to make what we do so much easier. Its a win-win situation for us, though just normal life for @TobiasSabathius:wink:

Dear @TobiasSabathius : OK sorry about that @TobiasSabathius Please Forgive me!!! :wink:
P.S. Are we allowed any Kind of Sneak Peaks??? Please my Good Sir your Art Work is Simply Astonishing!!!

Thanks for the info @TobiasSabathius and @Paranundrox ; I’ve been looking for some kind of numbers to go with as I haven’t been able to catch a live stream yet but I plan on checking out as many of them as I can this weekend when I have more extra time. :smiley:

Just a quick update on whats been going on:

• Writing some mel scripts to import and setup my models for animation
    in Maya.

• Standardise my file structure and naming conventions for all the
    assets and animations and such.

• Setting up my version control (git) to mitigate my horrendous
    overwriting habit (incremental saves are your friend)

• And last but by no means least I am going to formalise my aims and list of stuff todo for the Norse mod

getting there bit by bit, once my workflow tools are complete there will be a veritable avalance of voxel assets… no really

2 Likes

i shall sacrifice many small voxel woodland animals in preparation for that glorious occasion…

as my last post was 24 hours ago, this doesnt fall into the double post category… trust me, i checked… :tongue:

@TobiasSabathius … just an FYI that we recently tweaked the category system, and the new modding option would be perfect to house your pending Norse mod idea… :+1:

1 Like

I will create a new thread there if that meets with approval

2 Likes

hahaha… yes, you are hereby approved to create a new thread under the Modding category… just pay a small tribute to @Geoffers747 and myself, and you’re all set… said tribute i leave to your discretion… :tongue:

1 Like

Here is another chap who makes his living venturing into the wastes to hunt yeti. Those of sharp fang and fine white fur.
It is good money for those who return. Here however is one of the more successful:

Yuri

18 Likes

Hah, ignore my PM asking you to post it here then! Really like this model. Looks almost Mongolian to me.

Great work!

yeah, i got that vibe a bit as well… i think its the helm/plume…

either way, this is some fantastic voxel work, as usual… :+1:

Yeah he is a well traveled little feller, Yeti are no respecters of borders and Yuri picked the helm up on his travels.
Mongolian helms were the inspiration.

7 Likes

Loving your work as usual Tobias! It’s fantastic :smile:

Can I just say, the brown thing at the front of the sleigh looks like some sort of large gingerbread pottery man thing. I love it whatever it is.

It is my delight to serve.
The Pottery Gingerbread-man is meant to be a stuffed adventurers backpack but it hasn’t worked quite as well as I had hoped.
All the warning signs were there early on when Mrs. Sabathius suggested it looked like some sort of cute teddybear sitting down. It doesn’t exactly “read” well…

Well not to worry, Imperfection drives us onward. :racehorse:

2 Likes

well, now that you explain it, it of course seems obvious, and i can see the individual backpacks compartments, etc. :smile:

of course, this made me take a closer look at the entire image, and i just picked up on how the snow was blowing from the East, and has caked up on the traveler and his equipment accordingly… nice touch! :+1:

In Norseland the wind always blows from Right of the cameraman.
So on the longboats they only get to look to starboard and are never allowed to dance lest they create a whirlwind.

4 Likes