The geomancer should be the one to make the wet and dry stones

As the title states i think the geomancer would be the best fit for actually making the wet and dry stones… perhaps until the geomancer is added they could be purchased from merchants?

10 Likes

Yeah, I think they should only be easily available later in the game. Geomancer seems like it could be a nice fit for that - but what about merchants? Should they have it off the bat (if possibly too expensive for then) or not until you’ve hit some benchmark?
On a related topic, I think it would be make sense if Rayya’s Children got them sooner. I feel like they’re the more mystic of the two factions, and extra water’s needed a lot more in the desert.

1 Like

well i think geomancer should be the only way to obtain them… however i suggested adding them to merchants so people can use it before geomancer is added since we dont know when that will be… id imagine geomancer would be an advanced class of some sort so it would probably be fine.

1 Like

I agree it should be crafted by the Geomancer, but it should be able to be bought from merchants after you enter into level 2 town.

Love this idea but maybe you can discover one of each by exploring or mining earlier (if we get cave systems… (yes please))

4 Likes

I would prefer them earlier in the game. I don’t want to build an entire town of ugly dry riverbeds just because I have to wait for someone to promote to a job. Let me build my town to look good with water right off the bat.

8 Likes

I agree. Since it’s supposed to substitute natural rivers that you would form your town around if they were on the map from the start, it should be available at an early stage. Maybe just a very limited number of wetstones at the early stage, but at least available. Mass production can wait until later.

Since I don’t think the stones should be super rare I would even argue that a least Rayya’s children (or really anyone starting in the dessert) should have at least one wetstone from the start. Who in their right mind would start a settlement in the dessert without one if it’s an available “technology”.

3 Likes

My thought is on the starting map you have 1 of each stone at each water source on the map. You have to mine the stones to move them to where you want them, and then make new stones to replace the ones you took later to restore those lakes and streams. Want a town with a moat, sacrifice that lake across the map until later. Or turn it into a pit mine, I am not picky.

2 Likes

If you had a wet and dry stone in the lake… then there wouldnt be a lake as they would both cancel each other out asty

From the dev video It looks more like a wet stone will continue to put out more and more water until a dry stone tells it to stop. So you would have a wetstone at the bottom and a drystone on the shorelineto keep it from overflowing.

2 Likes

Yes but you stated that each map should start with a wet and dry stone in a lake somewhere… if that were to happen there wouldnt be any water… the wet stone would output water at the same rate that the drystone removed it… meaning a lake couldnt possibly exist there… at least in the logic of stonehearth.

As I said, wetstone at the bottom, drystone at the top. Wetstone fills water up from the bottom to the top. It balances out only when water is deep enough to get up to the drystone at the top. The drystone then keeps it from overflowing. Both are in the lake bed, Let’s try this another way. we have a pit that is 5 blocks deep. Wetstone on level 1(bottom), drystone on level 5 (top). Wetstone will produce water and fill level 1, then 2, 3, and 4. It is only when it contacts the drystone on level 5 that the water level is balanced. Both are in the pit, both are contacting water.

1 Like

ah… so you mean that the drystone would be on a ledge or something within the pit? i suppose that would work then.

Yes, now we are on the same page. If you remove both stones I think the anti-puddle code would make the lake evaporate over time and you would have to replace both stones as they were placed to recover the lake as it was. So you could swipe the stones for your own use and put them back later. The choice would be where you want water the most. Once you have the Geomancer you can have water anywhere you want.

1 Like

I also agree, while the idea of the geomancer crafting them is cool, the team put in effort for the system to be hands on and under the players direct control. It seems a bit weird then, not to let the players play with it until the late game.

5 Likes

I think it should be a joint venture, a mason to create the stone, and then the geomancer to enchant it. Also the early game thing could be balanced by having a single pair of stones be an option to be brought as part of the initial set of supplies.

2 Likes

hmm not a bad idea fipmip… i like it…more use for the mason and it kinda makes sense.

A great idea. I think “terraforming” should indeed be left until late-game. As a sort of “reward” for the player to start building cities with beautiful monuments, fountains etc.

Perhaps the player could be gifted a few stones earlier on, as a reward for a quest or something so they can get a taste for the mechanics.

From a realism point of view I agree, terraforming the map should be considered end-game technology (or magic). Changing the surrounding nature to fit the player in stead of the monsters and animals is the ultimate display of power and available resources.

From a gameplay point of view, however, having the geomancer (and thus terraforming, water stones, etc) available only in end game would mean that you would need to plan ahead where and what you want to change in the city (and possibly leaving open spaces, pre-dug channels, or specific areas untouched). This could cause large problems for people wanting to build nice cities the way they envision it. Requiring them to first move to the end (possibly tier 3, or almost all jobs available) would mean building a village, destroying it and only then starting their planned project.

1 Like