Stonehearth Monster Hunter Mod Concept

@EpicDwarf Well, The Jaggi/Baggi, uses around 3,500 Voxels. Around how much a Stonehearth Villager uses.

The Rathian/Rathalos however, uses 25,000 voxels. Though its a large number, the bigger monsters would only appear by themselves, you wouldn’t be seeing 5 Rathalos in the game at once. So I hope it won’t be too much of a task for the computer.

But it might be worth the extra effort. Having a similar design would make such a mod feel more integrated into Stonehearth. I know it is a bit painful but once you have worked out how to copy the style you should be able to apply it on all models. Does not have to look super-mean, no?

Your probably right, @Voxel_Pirate, My thinking though, was that I DID want the monster too look mean, I intended to get the sound effects for the monster from the game, so that when you come across one of these beasties, and hear it roar at your villagers, you’d be thinking too yourself “Oh snap! This looks more dangerous than a Goblin Army!”

As I said, I’ll probably be getting Qubicle Home Edition in June/July. So I will probably see how the game reacts to these monsters, and if they don’t seem so out of place its ridiculous.

Looking forward to see how they look i the game… maybe once you have the tools, you can make a small video. Cute dinos are not an option for you I understand :cry:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQg6i5wqbcNXacctiW3kSBLtk-PnMb-h_Hw98Cu3xmJdUHBkBp6g

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUb2BFeINbq4awLPgK5bZLWMuoRAePTbn0TEtyhiLcJ34-BnGorQ

I was considering the possibility of doing a bit of a “Fight Animation” to show off the concept. A video about a Stone Hearth Village that gets attacked by several monsters from the game… Ooooh! I just had an idea, we could have @Geoffers747 & @SteveAdamo Cameo in the video, and they could fight a Diablos or something, that’d be cool!

Edit:
THAT, is a Diablos, if anyone was curious.
http://86bb71d19d3bcb79effc-d9e6924a0395cb1b5b9f03b7640d26eb.r91.cf1.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/monster-hunter-tri-diablos-artwork.jpg

3 Likes

that thing is horrific… so, if we’re to do battle with it, at least make it so I only cry a little…

oh, and I want to be wearing a monocle… I’ve always wanted one… :smile:

Can I be in the battle too? Make me ride it! I want to ride it!!!

1 Like

A Puppy-dog @Newf riding a Diablos? That sounds even more out of place than @Steveadamo’s crying as he’s getting slapped around by the Diablos. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well, Why is a Diablos attacking the village in the first place? Perhaps because a puppy dog is riding him to war…

2 Likes

I am eager to see someone draw @Newf riding the Diablos.

2 Likes

Although it isn’t @Newf riding a Diablos, I do have the next monster made: The Barroth!

The Barroth has a tendancy to wallow in the Mud, so I’ve added globs of Mud onto this second model. But as with all these monsters, I’m not sure how all the game mechanics will work, so I don’t know if I can use this Muddy version for anything. But if I can, it may have something like an effect which make your villagers move slowly, as mud does in the game.

Any thoughts from you guys?

4 Likes

I don’t want to ask…But I have to…How many voxels?

14671 normally, and 15631 when Muddy. Quite a step down from the Rathalos, actually.

The mud looks too grey. But it’s a great model!

I think it will be better if you simplificate the models (reduce the details and the size of the models) and after scale up the model. But you’ve done great models=)

Here is a Ludroth:

I was going to make a Royal Ludroth before posting these, but… It seems that since quite a few people are unsatisfied with the complex style for the models, I might attempt to make a simpler version of say… The Rathalos, that will hopefully be more appealing to the Stonehearth style.

1 Like

Voxel_Pirate: Cute dinos are not an option for you I understand :cry:

So here’s what’s happened, since everyone wanted a design for the monsters more fitting for Stonehearth, like a jerk I said too myself “Okay, I’ll make a simple version of one of the monsters, and when everyone sees how goofy it looks, I’ll be able to keep make the monsters as normal.” But… As I was nearly finished with this one, I realized that… This actually doesn’t look half bad simplified!

As you can see, it features pretty much the same amount of detail as the original. But at the same time it is more fitting to the Stonehearth style. And has 9575 Voxels when hollowed out. As opposed to 25000.

What do you think, are you happy with this change of style?

4 Likes

Here is the Rathian simplified, mostly re-color stuff.

Only sad thing though about these mini-scale wyverns, they aren’t exactly scary looking now. So the idea of a Cinematic made for this concept has pretty much gone out the window.

So your safe, @SteveAdamo… For now.

Also, I want your opinions, do you think the Jaggi/Baggi are simple enough that I could get away with not recreating them?

Edit: Added pictures of the “Chibi” Wyverns to the first post.

1 Like

As I recall from the recent stream, different colours also mean more polygons in-game; on the other hand, most (all?) default SH models are not hollow, so you’ll probably be okay there if you don’t bother hollowing the models out. Also of course, every edge of a voxel is more polygons to render, so try for straight lines rather than curves where possible.

What else… Stonehearth models tend to have little shading in the voxels themselves. On the other hand, if these are rare beasties (ie more than 1 on the screen at once is exceptional) then you should have more freedom to make the models more complex, because nobody’s PC will have to slog to render loads of them.

1 Like

The first point had crossed my mind. If I hollow them out, the game would have to render faces on both the outside and inside. Perhaps leaving them solid will be better for the game. Luckily the new “Chibi” versions of the Rathalos and Rathian only have about 15,000 Voxels when solid, the equivalent of about five Stonehearth Villagers and almost a forth what the originals had.

As for that second point, Having more than one of these monsters on screen would be a fairly rare occasion. The Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate game had at the most Five Large Monsters in a single quest, But chances are you will only see one or two of these Large Monsters in the game at once. Although the Jaggi species and Beast type Monsters may be more prominent.