Stonehearth Alpha - Then and Now

can you believe it folks? its been nearly 1 year since Alpha 1 was released! :smile: :+1:

http://stonehearth.net/2013/12/30/stonehearth-alpha-1-is-now-available/

weā€™ve seen the game evolve substantially during this last year, and have watched as this team as grown and matured as an indie development studioā€¦ in my very humble opinion, rockstarsā€¦ all of themā€¦ :wink:

before we all head our separate ways for the holidays, I thought I would take this time to congratulate the team on all they have accomplished this past year, and wish them continued success on this wonderful journey theyā€™ve takenā€¦ well done Team Radiant! :clap:

I also want to thank the community for being so supportive, productive, creative and just all-around awesomeā€¦ without all of you, none of this would have been possible! :+1:

and of course, feel free to share your own thoughts on how Stonehearth has changed over the past 12 monthsā€¦ letā€™s talk about some of the highs, some of the lowsā€¦ and everything else that has made this past year just fly by! :smile: :clock730:

once againā€¦

congrats Team Radiant!!

24 Likes

Remember when we didnā€™t have ladders?

Remember when we didnā€™t have ROOFS??

Atralane remembers.

14 Likes

The good old time when we had to write call handlers and execute them from the GUI just to get code running on the server side. Good times.

Everything was simpler back then.

6 Likes

Congratulation~~!

10 Likes

Woooo! 1 Year Anniversary!

3 Likes

A yes the good old day when there where only berries. The young nowadays doesnā€™t know how easy theyā€™ve got it.

7 Likes

Have a great holiday, take care of your families and friends, and donā€™t forget to do something nice for somebody, who otherwise is not as fortunate as you.

And great job to Team Radiant.

6 Likes

what Alpha 1 had:

• lots of bugs!
    -basic stuff
    ā€“ Carpenter
    ā€“ Harvesting wood and berries only
  • sleep
  • Fences!
  • walls
  • and a non-roofed house

what alpha 6 has:

• Trapper, Footmen, Farmer, Weaver
  • Templates and Roofs!
  • Job System
  • Ladders
  • glitch mining
  • Save
  • Combat
  • Scenario API
  • Goblins
  • color roofs
  • stone walls and floors!
  • more food
  • etcā€¦
  • i know there is more

what is to come in the near future

• Real mining!
  • the Mason
  • maybe Shepherd
  • more monsters?
  • and more bugs and then less bugsā€¦
  • and more stuff that they surprise us with

i do not know about you but this is alot of stuff to get done in just one year. Congrats TR for all the hard work you guys have done on SH cant wait to see what is do by next year

6 Likes

Itā€™s weird to think back on roofless houses, farm-less villages, and 7 max villagers with no hope of growth.

Well done Radiant in your continued development of an engaging and extremely enjoyable game. Hereā€™s to another year of development! :+1:

7 Likes

Now thatā€™s not true.

/uploads/stonehearth/original/2X/6/68cdae055ffb918489178eb2482e892fc7d83b18.png

(Yes, I was also employing children.)

6 Likes

7 Likes

Congratz to Radiant. Iā€™ve seen a fair amount of games go through Alpha and I have to say, the Stonehearth has been the best experience Iā€™ve had. No game development company Iā€™ve witnessed has shown this much care for their players.

Merry Christmas and keep up the great work!

6 Likes

Yay stonehearth. Gratz on the 1 year mark and keep on rockin this game guys :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am 61 years old. At the current rate of development, my funeral will come before this slow dev team gets done. This is not EQ Next or any other Huge MMO. Seems more like a steam red light to me. Compare to normal dev cycles like Timber and Stone, this game should release for your grandchildren to play.

as one of the original ā€œfan boysā€ for Timber & Stone, and knowing Robert as well as I do, I am confused by this commentā€¦ T&S produces updates at a painfully slow rate, in large part a result of the addition of two new team members that convinced Robert to completely rewrite entire systems from scratchā€¦

as for SHā€™s development pace, most of the fans/folks here seem to think the team is progressing just fineā€¦ would we all love to see a host of new features plugged in every other day? of course! is that technically feasible, without producing a complete train wreck of a game? not so muchā€¦ :wink:

while few here will agree with your particular view/opinion, all opinions are indeed welcomeā€¦ so, welcome aboard! :smile:

7 Likes

Feature-wise, Stonehearth has come far. Numerically, though, it has not. Although 183 builds are quite a lot, I can see how 0.1.0 leaves something to be desired. This is entirely superficial, though. The game gets closer and closer to its release with every Alpha!

I must ask why you compare it to a huge MMO? This does not have a shred of similarity, not even multiplayer at all - yet :smile:. Huge MMOs are built by huge teams. As Radiant is an indie company, you shouldnā€™t expect development to be the same.

If you donā€™t like the gameā€™s premise, why would you get it in the first place? On the other hand, if you do like the gameā€™s premise, just not the as-of-yet somewhat unpolished implementation on it, wait a few months and take another look at it. I promise youā€™ll be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks for reading and considering my spiel. Have a good day! :sunny:

5 Likes

Itā€™s the Holiday season, by far no development team right now is doing anything. As far as development speed, Radient has been very good at updating the game, from telling us whatā€™s going on, to streaming the development. Do you know how long it took Timber and Stone to get where they are now?

Do you know Robert Reed? Heā€™s a nice guy, he had his game almost worked out from the beginning. Radiant did not, they started from almost scratch and have reworked it ever since. Theyā€™re passionate about this game, and the community around it. They want the best possible experience for the player so itā€™s going to be a while. You just have to understand that no indie dev cycle is the same.

iā€™ve never made a game, but i have backed more than 10+ games in my life time, and Iā€™m just getting started, In most development Iā€™ve been in itā€™s taken them average of two years to get out of Alpha. Some developers left their game and ran with the money, or have lack of communication skills and donā€™t support their game.

Radient on the other hand has been communicating with us since they started. I love Stonehearth and all of the community. Iā€™m just as passionate and enthused as Radiant is to get this game off the ground, but it needs time. I hope you wait with us.

Ps: Tom was my first friend on Myspace. :wink:

Your friend, Feashrind

7 Likes

Congrats to Radiant.

My only minor issue is the gameplay has not progress much (if at all) over the last several Alphas. Iā€™m not talking about building improvements or new tech tree branches, Iā€™m talking about the game (Peaceful mode is not a game, its an activity). The goblins still attack in fours and there has been no innovation in the game forcing me to do or not do something (those interesting choices @Tom has spoken so highly of).

Please turn-up the gameplay in Alpha 8.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a little confusedā€¦ isnā€™t adding building improvements, tech trees, mining, new crafting items, roads, and new classes adding to the gameplay? This is a city building game and itā€™s coreā€¦

I think you are specifically referring to scenarios, not gameplay as a whole. In which case, yes. All we gots is the little goblins. But combat is being revamped for alpha 8 according to Tom, which may make you happy. :smile:

5 Likes

just to bring this thread full circle, it was almost exactly (to the hour) one year ago today that A1 was releasedā€¦ :smile:

note: smiley added via post processing

7 Likes