Steam Workshop - EULA User Generated Content

Recommend anyone wanting to share mods through Valve read their EULA specifically for the User Generated Content. I have not heard of anyone having issues but it is always a good thing to at least read. Part of the EULA is sited below.

When you upload your content to Steam to make it available to other users and/or to Valve, you grant Valve and its affiliates the worldwide, non-exclusive, right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, for the purpose of the operation, distribution and promotion of the Steam service, Steam games or other Steam offerings. This license is granted to Valve as the content is uploaded on Steam for the entire duration of the intellectual property rights. It may be terminated if Valve is in breach of the license and has not cured such breach within fourteen (14) days from receiving notice from you sent to the attention of the Valve Legal Department at the applicable Valve address noted on this Privacy Policy page. The termination of said license does not affect the rights of any sub-licensees pursuant to any sub-license granted by Valve prior to termination of the license. Valve is the sole owner of the derivative works created by Valve from your Content, and is therefore entitled to grant licenses on these derivative works. If you use Valve cloud storage, you grant us a license to store your information as part of that service. Valve may place limits on the amount of storage you may use.

4 Likes

We also added an extract of our EULA in the modding guide, and answers about modding unreleased content and about respecting other people’s work (in the sections above this one): https://stonehearth.github.io/modding_guide/modding_guide/essentials/modding_scope/index.html#LegalQuestions

2 Likes

That bit of the EULA is mostly to cover Valve’s right to actually distribute the mods to the users.

Note especially this part:

[…] for the purpose of the operation, distribution and promotion of the Steam service, Steam games or other Steam offerings.

Keep in mind that this Discourse has, of course, its own set of rules, too:

3. User Content License
User contributions are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Put differently, anyone’s free to download anything you post here, including attachments, and upload them somewhere else as long as attribution is paid, the license remains the same and it’s not done commercially. You’re even allowed to modify the content, which is a weaker rule than the one actually in place.

5 Likes

Thanks for the additions @Relyss and @RepeatPan.

1 Like

To add on to this, if you’re curious, there’s a really good write up as to why this is there, along with why you can find it in a multitude of websites/platforms. (Not my comment) Reddit - Dive into anything

If you can’t access for some reason:

IANAL

The standard “by uploading, etc…you grant us a…license to use your data” boilerplate can be found on practically every TOS on the planet. What does it mean?

You are publishing a line of text. We need your permission to send that text to everyone you want it sent to.

Uploaded a picture to a channel? Discord needs that worldwide royalty-free nonexclusive license to copy the picture as many times as needed to send it to everyone in the channel.

Welcome to the modern legal internet. Everyone has this clause, because it’s the only way these services can legally function.

Always remember that legalese puts edge case after edge case into every single sentence because otherwise someone could take Discord to court over copying that :stuck_out_tongue: and sending it to people in the channel.

By uploading, distributing, transmitting, or otherwise using Your Data with the Services

• Uploading: you pushed enter, thereby sending a line of text up to the channel, or a picture, or whatever
  • Distributing: you expect that line of text to reach everyone else in the channel
  • Transmitting: this line of text passes over the Internet
  • Otherwise Using: any other action that could be interpreted as “using” counts as… well… using Discord

you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data

• Nonexclusive: we’re not the only ones allowed to get access to Your Data (the people in the channel need to read the line of text too); might also refer to the companies Discord works with needing the same license to copy and shuffle around that line of text, i.e. you haven’t made a deal with Discord’s ISP but obviously they need to be allowed to send your line of text too

• Transferable: Discord might change names / corporate entities, but still be the same program; in this event, Discord is still allowed to copy and send your line of text; might also be the ISP-needs-it-too bit above

• Royalty-free: you aren’t charging Discord to send your line of text, that would be stupid, but it has to be spelled out because legalese

• Sublicensable: Discord has permission to shuffle your line of text around to get it where it needs to go, therefore whatever service they need to use to do that, can be given this permission (I assume, combine this with nonexclusive and transferable, IANAL)

• Worldwide: someone in your channel might be on the other side of the planet, so how does Discord send your line of text to them if their permission to do so doesn’t extend worldwide?

subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy

There you go.

Any data, text, graphics, photographs and their selection and arrangement, and any other materials uploaded to the Service by You is “Your Data”

• Data: the bits and bytes that represent the stuff you want sent to a channel

• Text: duh

• Graphics: that gif of a cat you posted, that’s a graphic

• Photographs: declared separate from “graphics” because they’re generally of real places and/or people, something something legalese, it’s a CYA

• and their selection and arrangement: you post a bunch of pictures to the channel, Discord must be able to deliver them in the same order, because duh

• and any other materials: sharing a file? Discord must be allowed to copy it so it can be delivered to everyone else

So please put the tinfoil hat down. This is far from a new thing, and no internet service will ever be without this kind of boilerplate in their TOS.

1 Like

Thanks @Jokerr for posting. I should make it clear that I don’t have any issue with the EULA although I took a while pondering the “derivative work” which can mean different things in copyright law but typically means translations for user content but can include compression or any other imaginable mundane action that might be taken and potentially distort the original content. I just thought it would be helpful to post so that folks wouldn’t freak out after they had uploaded content. I also recommend folks read the limitations on what happens if they remove their content from the workshop.

1 Like

Oh, sorry I didn’t intend for that to be directed towards you @stonemonkey, it was more of a general FYI. I just posted it in case anyone else like me was curious.

1 Like

Thanks and no worries :smiley: and yes very good content.