So how about adding an Apothecary?

Seems like it might be an easy job to implement. You could add recipes for temporary buffs for your workers i.e. speed, defense, or courage. Was also thinking you could implement dyes for furniture and what-not. You could even add an exp boosting potion once the class leveling system is fully implemented.

1 Like

Not a big fan of the exp potion idea, I think exp should only be boosted, by, well, experience. Unless it is the most complicated expensive potion ever devised, and then still, it would get abused.

1 Like

I like this idea, a kind of Field Medic and/or Doctor for the game. That could add some seriously interesting additions to the game such as eating poison food, bad food, or they add a type of Global event such as Drought or Plagues within a season or something. The concept of this game is great the only thing that would worry me is getting to big for what the end game was suppose to be. Don’t get me wrong, I love content… However I also love growing simplicity. Having to much stuff makes it more like real life and not enough like a game. I would like to see a majority of the trades handled in the game to actually run a viable town. However, When they start adding politicians and Lawyers to this game I will loose interest.

I think that an apothecrist should have a chance of making a good elixir potion remedy but also a bad one maybe one with no bad side effects or one with a chance of making another plague or illness also to make these. The Apothecrist shall demand weird objects or resources and you have to collect them and then she shall get to work also it’ll need some equipment in its apothecary

I am in favor of this. It certainly fits the theme. There is a wide range of potions which could be created to give everything from a speed boost, to promoting healing.

I’d like to see some fun potions in there too… perhaps a mystery potion with not exactly an ill-effect but an interesting one. Drinking up and having one of your hearthlings become a goblin could be one such effect… or temporary invisibility…

How are these things going to work?

I mean, I can ser how perhaps generic ‘health’ or ‘mana’ potions may work as your settlers could stock up and automatically use one when the time came, but more intricate potions would start taking things waaaaay down the road of micro, a bit too far for my liking.

2 Likes

I’m against potions without a clearer definition, but medical care is a must. An apothecary (as compared to a more modern doctor) could work by trying out random plants to see what they do and making remedies for pains, injuries, diseases, etc. with them. Of course, the element of experimentation could easily remain, especially if a large number of plants were randomized

4 Likes

What about adventurers going into dungeons? I’m not sure if the RPG mechanics of dungeoneering in Stonehearth has ever been discussed, because IMHO that’s the one place where you could get a decent bit of single-unit micromanagement in. Or not - I don’t know TBH, and then how would that interact with multiplayer games etc? Anyway, point is, that’s a situation where I can see the complex pots etc being useful.

1 Like

I like this idea. Each world generation could randomize the effects of various plants and then a medicine tree could be generated y experimenting with the various plants and combinations therein. I wouldn’t want it to get too micro-managey but I think randomizing the effect for each world generation would help to ensure that someone who has played the game a long time would still need to take the time to experiment.
This could also work well with Mods, adding new plants in the game or coming up with new combos would be a great way to expand the content.

As a first thought on how this might work you could have pre-developed medicine/effect trees that were mapped to a plant ID of sorts (plant 1 + plant 2 = helpful effect, plant 2 gives nothing on its own, plant 1 is bad on its own, etc.) and then when the world is generated the game engine would assign each plant type a plant ID (for this round of play all ferns are ID 1, all yellow flowers are ID 2, all red flowers are ID 3, etc; but for another instance of the game yellow flowers are ID 1, ferns are ID 2, and red flowers remain ID 3). This is just a rough thought here though, feel free to expand

Also, this could be displayed on a similar UI as the class tree is now in D1633, giving you an idea of where to start, but leaving it up the player to actually flesh out the tree.

Overall though I am against something that would prove to be too much micro management such as speed potions or exp potions, I think mana, health, or permanent boost type potions would be fantastic, and of course since we can use this as a stepping stone to introduce things like poisons we would also need the antidotes (which may require the poison to be developed first before the antidote is recognized as anything more than a failure…)

1 Like

that is a great way of going about it.