Really Hard to Play Painfully Slow Save

I have a save that I’ve been playing for a couple of alphas now. I’ve gotten all the way to Warmun without difficult performance problems, and compared to not being able to get through Deepmun only a few alphas ago, that’s an impressive improvement. But alas, my save has gotten to the point where it is almost unbearable to play. I am very reluctant to start a new one because I’m really proud of how far this one has come. Does anyone have any suggestions to help performance? Btw my graphics settings are already about as low as they’ll go.

1 Like

What are your system specs? CPU/GPU/RAM is going to be the most important stuff in helping us find your bottleneck

sure! as soon as you can pretty please tell me how to find those things :smiley:

I’m assuming Windows 10:

Right click on your windows button in the lower left -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> System
This will give you Processor (CPU) and RAM. Then…
Right click on windows -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters
This will be your GPU

does this cover everything?

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.160906-1818)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: K55A
BIOS: K55A.204
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3982MB RAM
Page File: 2511MB used, 9662MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.14393.0000 64bit Unicode

Unless I’m missing something, than that should cover everything. Your processor supports integrated graphics, so that’s probably what you’re running off of. I wouldn’t expect great performance in stonehearth on a laptop, especially a laptop running with dedicated graphics. Although stonehearth isn’t super video intensive, it does rely fairly heavily on the CPU, and the more work your CPU has to do (e.g., graphics processing!) will slow things down.

As an aside, I would check your laptop manufacturer’s website just to double check that you don’t have the option to run on a dedicated graphics card and are running on the integrated by mistake (which is common, which this is a possibility). I haven’t been a laptop gamer in quite some time though, so I’m unsure off the top of my head if an i5-m sku would actually come in a laptop that even has dedicated graphics.

TL;DR, your computer doesn’t seem like (to me at least) it’s designed for gaming, so an indie game like stonehearth, which is optimized but not streamlined will struggle. Some people find that their system starts to give after 20 hearthlings, other people play comfortably with 50. It just depends on the machine you’re running on.

For the record i tried running my game of my intel hd4000. (same as yours)

And seems to me the game runs fine but the frame loss makes it unplayable…if you already turned all grafics settings down not much more you can do.

really a matter how much devs can optimize since intel HD grafics is rather weak 3d hardware.

With my integrated r7 gpu/cpu desktop, the game tended to crawl at around 12fps. Now that I have a separate graphics card, the game runs much smoother at 60fps. It really does make a difference.

1 Like

Only spot i have been running into an issue is with Rayya’s and all the little light points once night falls…I have a decent card, but my processor is outdated (easily…like I really need to upgrade but am pretty cheap :p). Otherwise, it runs fine. I don’t remember the model number of my ATI card, but know it is pushing 2GB dedicated…have not tried with integrated graphics though.

If the lights are the problem you can change the number that the game renders in the settings. I know it’s not ideal, but it’ll be easier during gameplay. You can always turn them up if you want to take cool nighttime screenshots.

yup, actually have the number down to 6…have not tried dropping all the way to 1 to see what it does…not a very large town, though I did build a staircase with several light points as well…will have to play around with it more.

how would you switch from an integrated graphics card to a dedicated one?

problem about your computer is it only has an integrated grafics card. :frowning:

there are solutions of external grafics cards but not sure i would recommend it :confused:

but its either that or new computer or hope that game will be optimized more in the long run :frowning:

…And if im honest i dont see that happening, in enough extend for a intel HD chip really to cut it.

Seeing as i dont personal get great frames on a dedicated card albeit an rather old one…

I’m not 100% sure, I haven’t owned a laptop with dedicated graphics. As I understand it, there’s typically either an option in your little pop-up menu in the lower right corner (probably some kind of nvidia/amd app) or there’s sometimes a function command on the keyboard (like the superscripted stuff on your F keys).

Since @Psyduck seems to be a little more laptop savvy than I am and doesn’t think you have one, I’m not sure what to recommend. It does just seem like your system doesn’t meet the game’s minimum requirements.