Quests and the future of combat/roles

Hello everyone!
So I was just looking at the roadmap and various bits and pieces around the forums and I’m not seeing much in the ways of Questing suggestions.
Just wanted to know what people thought a Quest system in the game would be like.
As we can already assign parties and with the addition of medics and an Archer class hopefully in the near future, I think bigger Quests would be a nice addition.

My ideas on the subject is you can receive quests from travelling NPC’s, be it merchants, caravans, even Goblins who will ask you to do something, could be anything from
"There’s been sightings of a large group of monsters north of here! The locals are worried they may attack, could you help clear it out?" Then you would go to the area pointed out on your map and maybe fight a “boss” and collect some good loot
to
"Our mine caved in and some people are still inside! Please come help!" You would then have to dig out the survivors maybe there’s monsters in there, maybe the villagers have turned into zombies, but completing the quest would get you a reward

So these are my thoughts on the matter, would add more variety and random events into the game as well as the potential for unique items from boss drops

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Well we know that some “quests” will take you into another dimension full of dangerous enemies that you will have to stop. You might also be able to make a town in this new dimension which might have different rules than the real world (at least i think i heard that before… might have been a suggestion from another player i dont remember but it sounds like it would be cool). The other dimensions are confirmed though.

On top of that there will be titans to watch out for… giant monsters that can destroy your town.

1 Like

Honestly all of that sounds amazing. Like the titans sound epic, trying to defend against a massive monster (hopefully artilary will be added to help against that :smile:

2 Likes

Hey @MrAshleeD,

Ah, this is one of my personal favorite things to talk about. Mainly because I tend to quickly go into a coma of fantasy and excessive possibilities soon after I start to talk about it.

But I’ll try to limit myself here…

No, anyway, there’s actually a “Questing System” that I’ve been particularly interested in for some time now. There’s another game in alpha right now, a game called Folk Tale made by Games Foundry, that contains your idea and a little more.

Well let me just describe it… You start off on a map. You build your town, gather resources, train troops, create Heroes, research new technology, primarily just like most RTS-building games. However, then you have quests; and these can range from big to small.

With small quests, you have your idea, which for example would be a farmer needs 3 buckets of fresh, magic water. You’re then tasked to simply go to a point on the map, clear out any enemies, and gather the resources and bring them back to town.

Then you have big quests. It’s similar to what AdriannaVentara said below; however, I’m not too sure if that information is actually confirmed or not.

Either way, with big quests, you’ll have the challenge of going to an entirely new, different map. You’ll be able to select what sort of team you want to send into that new area - do you want to send an entire team of just settlers, or maybe a combination of swordsmen, archers, your Hero, and a couple settlers just in case, etc., etc.

You then go to that new land, loot chests, fight droves of monsters, and a boss or two, all eventually leading up to getting some very special items and loot and what have you, not to mention completing the quest itself and taking the rewards from that too.

Personally, I’d love it if both your idea of small quests and this idea from Folk Tale was implemented into Stonehearth!

HUH! That took a lot of energy not to go into imagination land there… Whew… In fact, I may have made this post a little dull if anything…

Anyway, good topic!

-Surly

1 Like

Sounds pretty cool, I like the idea of your towns having questing so much. This different lands you could visit would really open up possibilities of getting “Alien” settlers to join your town by having a quest to rescue them.

I just think too many settlement builders like this miss out on the chance to have these quests and Stone Hearth feels like it would benefit lot from having this. Can’t wait to see what happens!

1 Like

The idea behind stone hearth is to be very mod friendly and very mod heavy. If i understand correctly the devs wish to make a very nice simple game like dwarf fortress then let the community go wild. like they do for fall out to make your experience so much better

@MrAshleeD,

Ooo! I didn’t even think about getting “Alien” settlers.

For instance, like going to a different land and saving prisoners that are a completely different race or species; i.e. having one or two goblin workers and maybe a few people from Rayya’s Children.

Cool idea!

And I agree, I can’t wait to see how this game turns out!

-Surly

@Mishka,

Yeah, they do plan to make Stonehearth a very mod-focused / mod-friendly game. I’m really excited to see what the community makes!

Moreover, if a “Questing System” is actually included in the game, ranging from big to small and spanning across different maps, imagine the endless possibilities modders and or map makers would have in that regard! HUH!

-Surly

I love modding in games, on my Fallout:3, FNV and even Fallout 4 now, all are modded, my Skyrim has about 200+ mods installed so for this game to go the way of being heavily modded is awesome. Can’t wait to see what people do.

As for it being simple and mod friendly, it can be, look at Minecraft, one of the most modded games in the world and it’s started simple (like Stone Hearth) but evolved into quite a deep game what with command blocks and NBT tags and what not.

Loving where this game is going, can’t wait to see more

indeed hopefully they will do such a thing :slight_smile: modding can be difficult thought for someone who has never modded. i myself have never modded but i would like to make 1 for this game