[Question] Placing doors in corner

A question that bugs me forever. We can place windows near the corners of a building (next to a wall beam) but not doors. Doors require a minimum 1 block distance from any corner beam. Thus, the minimum length of the wall for a 3-block wide window is 5 blocks (3 for wall, 2 for beams), but 7 for a door (5 for wall, 2 for beams).
Sometimes I want to make entrances narrow but can’t due to these limitations. It also makes placing doors in narrow corridors impossible (a corridor should be a minimum of 7 blocks wide in order to place an appropriate freestanding wall inside).
Is there any logic behind this, or is it a random design choice?

2 Likes

hmm… well i seem to remember that in the past, when there were only 2x2 windows, you needed there to be 1 block between the window and the pillar just like doors, but when the new window styles were added something changed… could be completely crazy though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

they can use the large window as a way to walk trough :slight_smile:

yeah this was changed to player input while in stream with tom. but he forgot to do the doors lol

4 Likes

Like that?
Technically possible, but I find this… disturbing.

1 Like

While I ran some test, I’ve also noticed windows can be stacked horisontally (side-to-side) but not vertically.
I assume the reason is the same?
Meaning we can’t have a hen house with windows serving as a “door” because it can’t be placed near the floor. Also, we can’t make big windows by placing windows on top of each other.

2 Likes

No just side by side, and u can use the tall windows to place big windows.

Side note: but u can make your own wall by using the slab voxel, then make opening any way u see fit, and place windows and doors anywhere in it

example of how to do it:

Just make sure you erase the blocks in the back. they are temporary so u can place the windows and doors

1 Like

Yeah, I know of the “invisible slab” technique. Just thought maybe this option should make it to simple walls.

Another note: windows can be placed right under the roof blocks, but NOT under 2nd floor blocks.

1 Like

Actually, you can but only if there is a roof above.

What I mean is even under roof windows can’t be placed one just under another. There is a mandatory 1-block-high gap.

2 Likes