PS4 & Xbox One?

Both true but it shows it would be possible, I’d assume.

I believe this has come up in one of the streams. They wanted to focus on computers as in Windows/Linux/Mac.

Don’t quote me on that.

I will quote you, and I will blame you for any inaccuracies!

I think you’re right though, as far as I remember it was in reference to something like iOS an iOS release? Again I might be wrong ha. But yer, primary concern is Windows/Linux/Mac.

1 Like

There are a lot of things I’ve considered that decided for me between next generation consoles.

1. Releases
  2. Controllers
  3. Hardware
  4. Future Releases
  5. Cost

As far as releases go, Microsoft only brought out the big names: Call of Duty, Halo and other major projects. While Sony, brought new and old franchises to conventions and conferences : Indie Devs, Infamous, Killzone. For me at this moment of this post, I am leaning towards PS4. It has the better games that will keep me on the platform until the games I want come out, Blacklight, Warframe, Infamous, Call of Duty, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Destiny among other games. The Xbox One only has 2 games I know are coming out which are Halo and Killer Instinct, 2 games are not worth my time and money to have to “wait and see” if something else comes out I may enjoy, and good example of why that wouldn’t be a smart idea: Wii U.

Controllers so far I am leaning on Xbox One, I’ve held the controllers for both, Xbox has better handling and layout.

Hardware nothing is the different between the 2 consoles. Aside from the Kinect, which I own currently and never use, along with the fact that all “Kinect compatible” games have tanked badly and the ones that didn’t are because everyone used the controller after seeing how bad Kinect really is.

Future releases I feel the PS4 has more merit in currently they have 5 other games I am interested in, Division, Kingdom Hearts and a lot of indie games such as Don’t Starve. In the near future I can see the Independent Developers move to Sony because of how restrictive Microsoft is when it comes to publishing, I bring this up because if there are more developers on a platform it is more likely to have better titles. Xbox One has Halo in its future releases in the next 2 years that people are excited for, not only have they not shown anything that people are interested in but they haven’t even made an effort too.

Price is an obvious concern, having a good price can kill the competition out right. Xbox One has taken off it’s used games and DRM policies as well as just recently removed the mandatory Kinect functionality. Even though Microsoft made these decisions they have not yet said that a Kinect free model of the Xbox One would be available. Paying 100$ more than it’s competitions console for something with next to no benefit to the buyer is out of question, I will admit. Microsoft has been making the right calls, and removing the Kinect from the box for a secondary console bundle could make a massive difference.

Though Microsoft is making wise revisions to their business plan, Sony currently has my money in there pockets. With the lower price, better game selection and easier access to Indie Developers much like Radiant and the single thing that makes me completely makes me want a PS4 more then the Xbox One. Subscription cost. while I have been a solo Microsoft/PC gamer ever since Xbox’s original release, When Sony said $50 will get me access to a bunch of Free games I have access to at all times as well as online play compared to Microsofts $60 price tag for online along with no additional benefits aside form the Odd free game a month such as Halo 3 and Assassin’s Creed 2 which both I have 100% and completed to the point of making a career out of Halo 3. It is not enough to make me want to buy an Xbox One.

Long Story sort. PS4 Atm. Sorry for the long read, I don’t make these decisions lightly. As it stands, if Microsofts releases an Xbox One without Kinect in it, I may pick one up just for Killer Instinct. If anyone knows me they know I missed play Chief Thunder in KI2, and I will be very upset if the 100$ P.I.T.A Kinect stops me from enjoying one of my all time favorite franchises.

Oh tell me about it, having been with Xbox since the original in 2001 - they haven’t exactly made the transition to the Xbox One easy, and I’m still relatively undecided.

At E3 Sony did seem to have some games that were more my thing, but it turns out that a lot of them are actually multi-platform. Kingdom Hearts, FF XV, Destiny for example are all multi-platform. Titanfall which is currently going to be exclusive to Xbox did look pretty interesting - and it’s made by some of that core team from Infinity Ward so I’m expecting it to give CoD a run for it’s money.

Apart from that the Xbox One exclusives didn’t really excite me, the majority I can take or leave, Halo is the only franchise that I would be excited for but that’s not enough reason to stick with Microsoft.

After using an Xbox controller for so long, the PS3 controller just felt so flimsy and odd. The PS4 controller does look bulkier, but I would agree that Microsoft have the better controller.

I was under the impression that spec wise the PS4 had a lot more power, although John Carmack has come out and said the systems are relatively identical, and well, I suppose he has some authority in the industry.

I also had a kinect and would have to agree with you that for the current system is was just not worth it - unless you enjoyed fitness/ dance games. Some of the features for Mass Effect and Skyrim were pretty cool, but the novelty wore off relatively fast.

However, I think going forward, it is a smart move to include Kinect with every console. It means that developers can work on the premise that every Xbox One owner will have a kinect, and as such it will be more worthwhile to create games/ features that capitalise on this. I’m more excited for the prospects of using the controller in tandem with the Kinect; I think one example was given was that you could raise your controller slightly, kinect realises this and your in-game shield is raised accordingly. It’s definitely a case of see what the future holds for Kinect.

It’s no secret that Microsoft have a relatively poor relationship with Indie devs and a lot of them will be developing for Sony, I am upset that currently we won’t see [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni02F7l4lAg] transistor [/url] on Xbox One as I loved Bastion. However the [urlhttp://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4553596/indie-devs-say-xbox-one-self-publishing-is-a-move-in-the-right]recent change allowing self-publishing[/url] is a step in the right direction for indie games on Xbox. Whether or not it is enough to start rebuilding some of those bridges, again, time will tell.

Whilst it is impossible to defend “Games for Gold” versus “PSPlus”, I mean come on, I don’t want to play Assassin’s Creed 2, Halo 3, or Crackdown, I completed these games the first time around 6 years ago, whilst PSPlus members are getting a ton of great relatively recent games.

My understanding though is that the PS3 online infrastructure, networking, chat etc. is rather poor? I didn’t realise but they still don’t have something like a party chat system, although this will be remedied with the PS4. In relation to the online subscription, if Microsoft could start providing some more rewarding things for being an Xbox Gold subscriber that would be great, although if they could clearly say for the duration of Next Gen that their online service is far far superior to Sony’s then that would obviously be reason enough for the payments.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t own a PS3, I am a 360 man. I chose the 360 in the same process I used here, I feel like I was right to pick 360 over PS3 because the PS3 had nothing really calling me to use their console over the 360.

Even if the subscription service and internet is bad it will not change my decision because no matter how bad it is I can always play the awesome single player games coming out, like the new MGS (The reason I say this for PS4 and not Xbox One though it is on both, I just can’t fathom using a Xbox Controller with a MGS game.

1 Like

two characters, P and C
the price you pay for these crappy little heat boxes you can pump into a decent gaming PC. also the price of games is a lot cheaper.
You would find a new xbox/ps game would be around £50 where as a PC one more like £30. Even cheaper if you go digi-download and get a nice deal on steam. i picked up fallout new vegas the other day on steam for £3 with all DLC included, would of been about £80 from xbox live

1 Like

Back to the indie part, Microsoft no longer needs publishers for Indies to be sold through them. Also, the Xbox One has been scrapped in favor of the Xbox One-point-One, known more commonly as the Xbox 180.

Anyway, I WAS excited about Microsoft practically banishing second-hand stores like Gamestop, in favor a (potentially) Steam-like digital distribution platform, but I got pretty upset after they changed everything. But hey, all of the idiotic “only today matters” kind of people out there do hold the majority, so I guess that ideology works pretty well.

In the hands of another company it might be a nice idea but you have to realise that while you can get nice cheap downloads from steam, everything in the MS store is RRP. Even years after the release. This will kill the game industry as people would become disenchanted with the system and buying games regardless of whether or not they are new, will be for those who are a little better off than most. from the age of 14 to 2 years ago i never bought a new game, i would buy pre-owned and then sell it back and buy another pre owned game.
Also note that M$ siphon off a huge 30% of sales. so factoring in the cost of getting it “console ready” and weighing in that you only get 70% of sales from your hard work starts to make the en devour a little less exciting.
EDIT: oh and there is tax too… not sure what the tax is in the US but its 20% here.

CITE: Xbox LIVE Indie Games - faq: answers at a glance

20% tax? The only charges that we see on this side of the pond that are that big are federal sales tax and credit card interest rates, and even then, it’s occasionally lower than 20%. Our sales taxes, in addition to any other taxes they may charge, probably only equal about 12%, no more than 15%.

The cool thing about the US is, even though our tax rates are lower than almost anywhere else in the world (as far as I know), we still have a bigger budget, just because of the money that our country produces. Fun fact of the day.

yeah it sucks. Our government insists on babying those who “choose” to not work… like it should be a choice :/…

Swung massively off track there! haha

cough Obama… cough

He may just be one of the worst politicians to ever hold office. At least some dictators actually bring their countries out of economic sinkholes.

Anyway, yes, we should get back on topic.

wooow lets not go there… lets put it this way, we aren’t laughing at the US anymore.

so it is my conclusion that stonehearth is not going to be released on the new range of consoles. Although you never know. if it turns out as popular as minecraft then who knows? if people want it and there is money to be made then you would be crazy to not do it!

Yeah, but a city-sim/RTS on consoles? Definitely NOT the best platform for that… I know that Halo Wars and SimCity managed to do it at some point, but still, PC is far superior for those, just as it is for First-persons (in most cases). The exceptions that I can think of that are better on consoles are platformers, fighting games, and third-persons work pretty well.

agreed. but like you said it has been done before. i remember the old command and conquer games :slight_smile: that was still fun although a little difficult to get familiar with.

The point is, I would rather see a trio of perfected PC/Mac game developments than a hype-up over-commercialized console port. If Radiant wants to eventually make a console game, I hope they make an RPG based in the Stonehearth universe, rather than simply moving this game over to those platforms.

Wow this thread got long fast. Question: How would you put a game built entirely to mod the mess out of it onto a console?

Answer: Nope. Just, nope.

1 Like

I’m actually 90% sure that it was Xbox One to allow self-publishing now. Kotaku also did reports and stuff on it.

i think a few companies have tried it (although producing any example is proving difficult), but it usually requires an upfront notice of “the PC version can do X and Y, while the console is only capable of Y”… as long as the player base is OK with that distinction, its ok, i suppose…