OSX VS Windows VS Linux

Well, if I am not mistaken (And I know I am not) the directions pretty clearly stated:

Well then why the heck did you even post here? This isn’t titled “Let us know what company makes your favorite products”. It’s purpose is to say why you like/dislike a company. Then we all duel it out about it. Congrats, you are an apple guy, but we don’t really care unless you want to support your argument.

2 Likes

People who understand computers, use Linux.
People who enjoy computers, use Windows.
People who hate computers, use OSX.

8 Likes

Well Said! :smile:
If you love OSX, you must really hate computers with your heart and soul. OSX is an abomination, and it must be stopped!

May I just say that I am on OSX right now, and as an owner of both Windows 8 and OSX… I prefer Windows 8. I use my Windows 8 PC much more than OSX… so don’t stab me in the eyes too much.

We’ll grant you a pardon. But it won’t be a comfortable stay on this thread :anger:. Fighting will be common, and you might be caught in the crossfire…

I do not plan on staying long, but I will be observing from the back lines. Enjoy your rants, warriors.

Quickly addressing this statement:

That “little cheap box” is such a big topic of discussion for a number of reasons, I myself miss the thing a lot more often then I should, but I found a work-around.

To start, the new Start menu imposes a BIG change. That change is, molding a mobile OS to a stationary/desktop one. That sort of a change scares a lot of people, even myself. If the next version of windows kills the desktop mode that I have been using for the past 16 years. I won’t buy it. I might even go with an OSX OS. Over time, I find myself rarely using it. Microsoft’s app store has barely blown up yet (I am sure this will change in time), and I don’t like having any application running with a forced fullscreen that is not a game.

The next thing that made people upset, was the fact that in order to now search files, or go to your comuter screen, or go to your files, etc. You had to go all the way to the right side of your screen and get the charm bar to open up. Once you got that open, you are still limited when compared to the old start menu. The old menu was nice because:

• It was small (You could use it quickly)
  • Everything you needed was right there
  • It was out of the way

In order to use the new one, you have to pull away from everything to search something, rather than just doing it in a tiny spot in your monitor. You could have a conversation on skype going while you looked for a file and still see the chat. But now, you have to practically tab out.

My solution to this, is just right clicking on the new start menu button. It bring up most of the old features (Search, run, etc).

That’s why most people used the program “Start 8”, which brought back the traditional “block”, except in the non-aero windows 8 style. I just don’t like people complaining about how “terrible” it is.

I didn’t know that $20.00 was “free”. Certified Refurbished Products - Apple

Yes, you are right. I didn’t remember to put into account the monitor, PSU, and other internal components. I found a more detailed specs list and it does add up to be about $1200. But that is if you build it in america. If you build it in china (Which is where they manufacture them) then it comes to be like you said, $1100. Alright, but then we still have a $800 profit. What did I previously say…?[quote=“LordNevs, post:10, topic:3800”]
I understand that a company needs to make money. But there is a line that needs to be drawn somewhere. If you are making a 500 dollar profit on something, that is pushing it in my opinion. Anything beyond that is robbery.
[/quote]

Why is it robbery? Well, lets look at some of the things that you could get with that 800 bucks.

• A computer that is faster.
  • The fastest graphics card in the world.
  • A cheap car.
  • A huge TV.
  • @SteveAdamo’s soul
  • The fastest processor in the world.
  • 120GB of 1600MHZ ram
    The list could go on for a long time.

So, hopefully you get my point now?

Looking forward to it. Lets just make sure we don’t get hostile. As much as you may think I hate all of you guys sometimes, deep down I still love ye.

1 Like

Personally, I find the whole Windows 8 change debate hilarious. If we applied this level of phobia to change throughout history, I’m quite sure we’d all still be living in caves unable to have such a debate.

I have always been an early adopter, and while it may have taken a day or so to get used to the changes, I do feel that the changes made are entirely to my benefit.

In the past, if I wanted to open Outlook I would have had to have clicked, Start, then All Programs, then scrolled down a list of installed applications until I found the Microsoft Office folder, clicked it, and then located and clicked Outlook. Now with windows 8 I press the windows key, type Ou and then hit enter.

If I want to search for something on the web, I no longer have to open my browser and wait for my search engine to load, I just hit the windows key and type what I am searching for.

All is good in my eyes.

2 Likes

I do agree with you, except the death of Aero Glass was a loss in my opinion. It makes it so that I can’t record my desktop with fraps now, which makes me QQ all over the keyboard.

Other than that though, everything is debatable.

I’m flattered you think my soul is worth $800… unfortunately, @Geoffers747 felt differently…

to think he offered .37, and sadly, I accepted …

5 Likes

Well, I perfer the non-Aero look, looks more “sharp” in my opinion. And there are other alternatives to Fraps, including CamStudio which is free and open source which makes my day.

How could you!? :cry:, buy @Geoffers747 - his poor soul…

1 Like

I am more concerned about what @Geoffers747 is doing with steve’s soul…

I’ve come across a great deal of people that have a great deal of negative things to say about Win 8. Mostly, they just don’t like being forced into something they don’t want to use, specifically Metro. The other side of it, and I can see their point here, is Microsoft’s lack of understanding of the market they’re selling to - namely the proliferation of touch screen PCs was drastically overstated - hence the need for Win 8.1.

Personally, I always upgrade my windows version the day it is released. I’ve rarely had issues with the OS and I have often looked at newer versions with a positive mind set.

However, when you try to compare something like Windows against OSX - then you’re pretty much comparing stones with whales. I don’t think you can correlate between them as they are two completely different animals. Being a designer, I work with both on a daily basis and, while wearing my designer hat, I use OSX because it does everything I need to do much faster, slicker and cleaner than Windows does. If I just mention the word virus to people who use both OSs on a daily basis, then I know for sure that they will know exactly what I’m talking about. However, when I’m not wearing my designer hat, I’m wearing my game hat or business hat, or whatever… Windows takes care of everything else I need it to, mostly because all my favourite games are only available in Windows.

The same can be said against Windows versus OSX versus Linux. Again, no direct comparison. I love Linux simply because of the fact you can truly make it your own, if you’re in the know. If you don’t like how something works, you can go and change it. I’d never consider myself an advanced user of Linux but, I can see all those benefits that advocates of the operating system are so crazy about.

So for me, and my opinion, you can’t really compare one against the other because they all do what they say they do - they allow operation of a computer system. It comes down to what you’ve grown used to, what you’ve been taught to use, what you have used to get things done and what you use simply because it’s easier than the alternatives out there.

SD

If you are leaning towards the common belief that apples devices are virus proof, then I disagree. If you aren’t, then I am just confused by that statement.

The way I see viruses, is like this. If you get a virus, it’s not the systems fault. It is your fault. If I click on an ad on the side of my screen for a vacuum cleaner and I get a virus. That is my fault, not Microsoft’s or Apple’s.

On the other hand, if a user is trying to manually break into your computer, then the level of security in the system is up to the manufacturer. But as new methods of hacking and defending systems are always being developed, I can’t really blame them for having a hard time keeping up.

But now to the main thing I wanted to point out, apple devices are not virus proof and are actually becoming the least secure. This is a very short article that skims the surface of the issue.

1 Like

[quote=“ssdark, post:36, topic:3800”]
Being a designer, I work with both on a daily basis and, while wearing my designer hat, I use OSX because it does everything I need to do much faster, slicker and cleaner than Windows does.[/quote]

I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say.

Do you mean OSX does things faster because you’re more used to it, or are you saying that OSX actually does more processing per second?

I use Adobe CC both on my Mac Mini and on my Windows machines, and I really don’t notice any difference in processing other than the way you interact with the base OS (like dialog boxes, etc).

What does the existance of viri have to do with you (or OSX) working faster? Does fear of viri slow you down?

I know in the olden days designers used Apple devices because they were more closely tied into the actual printing process, but this is no longer te case. My guess is that it is now just a matter of either personal preference or some sort of legacy pride, and not so much a difference in raw processing power. If I take myself as an example, I know my Mac Mini is not slow, but I am slow(er) on the Mac Mini simply because the base OS interaction feels unnatural to me.

I dunno what you did on win 7. But I can do that fine on win 7 too.
I think the hate comes from the launch of win 8. Had no start button. And a lot of games did not play on it.

As our good friend @mderond just pointed out. There isn’t really much difference in the performance of a Windows OS vs a Mac OS. Just for a little proof of this, check out this link. As shown in that chart, W8 beats Apples OS in start-up, but loses in shutdown. To me, starting up faster is more important, but that’s a personal preference. But then in the 64 bit test, Windows does much better than the mac OS. In the 32 bit test, OSX beats the windows OS by a tiny bit. So in short, they aren’t really much different. If anything, windows 8 is faster. It really all comes down to your computer. A lot of people get the misconception that computers running windows are slower than a computer running OSX. This is because they fail to notice that the hardware in the computer running OSX is better than it’s competitor. The only way to really test which OS is better for you, is to try both of the OS platforms on the same computer. If OSX runs much better with your hardware than windows, well then good for you. But odds are, it doesn’t.

1 Like