New Topic: The Potter! Submit your ideas for items

i love that idea, i hope they at least take inspiration from your models.

Link said thread please!

here’s the link

i believe most of the “not-in-the-game-yet-but-since-i’m-pandemic-i’ll-do-it-anyways” items are scattered throughout it.

Rayya’s Children could have clay plates on their armour, or even use clay in some weapons, to give them a bit more flair/differentiation from the other kingdoms.

4 Likes

hmmm when i think on clay i think at Clay plaster and mudbricks ^^ soo some new walls which are build with mudbricks and plaster ^^ and not to forget the new workshop the potter’s wheel - but this will difficult because of the animation - normally they have sit and move there foots so the wheel is spinning and they can make the furniture etc.

here some pics ^^

3 Likes

this calls for a poyo-powered potter’s wheel! Also leading to cooperation with the shepard

4 Likes

in a society without much wood,water or shade:

clay tiles for roof
clay tiles for floor.
clay walls. (not bricks)

wooden supports windows etc to break up the all clay look. wall texture would be similar to stone with a recolor i would think.

3 Likes

Clay statues (Sphinx? Rayya? Forbidden-Temple-esque clay guardians?,some other creature?)
Large clay pots (google image search: “pithoi”) These actually kept water ice-cold as it would seep through the porous clay and evaporate when it reached the sunlight, absorbing heat through the process
Clay grain pots
Clay water fountain
Clay oil lamps +/- torches
Clay garden dividers (to become placeable as fencing in the future)
Clay oven for basic food prep, ?not as fancy as a stone oven
Clay Pinata
Clay aqueduct channels / furrows

8 Likes

Golems/Magical Automatons made from clay. Glazing for higher tier/higher value goods.

2 Likes

I’d like to take credit for naming that!

Anyway, before I get started on items, I’ll list some possible potter work stations:

Potter’s spinning wheel: As wiese previously mentioned, for making the basic shapes of items. Upgrades to this station are, in general, bigger and better.
Potter’s Kiln: (surprised wiese didn’t mention this.) For heating up clay into solid objects. If you leave a wet, freshly-made clay object out for too long, then it will solidify, which is basically settling for a very dainty version of what you could have instead. Also, since a clay artist came to our school once, he mentioned how you had to heat clay to something around 3000 DEGREES to get the kiln working. Also, he mentioned that, although I’m sure this doesn’t happen on a smaller scale, out of the 100 items he would put in a kiln at a time, only 10 would make it out as half-decent.

Anyway…

Here are some more… unique… clay ideas.

• Clay Golem husk: A very advanced clay object. Geomancers can bring these to life, and the clay golems not only stay together longer than golems made of the nearest pile of rocks, but are also easier for Geomancers to control than, say, a golem made of sand. (I did not see Gyro dragon’s comment before this…)
  • Clay doll: Mainly used as a Rayyan religious object, not a plaything or a pocket monster.
  • (Special thanks to Gyro dragon for this one) Clay teapots and mugs: Can be made without glazing, but glazing makes a much cleaner, prettier, more valuable, and longer-lasting teapot.
  • Rayya statue: Requires some glazing. Basically a much larger and more advanced version of the clay doll. Also gives us some lore insight as to what Rayya looks like.
2 Likes

Thank you for the mention. Also thought clay would play a part in alchemy/geomancy workbenches and finished goods. Why do potions in games always come in glass?

somehow having the golems being crafted by a crafter, rather then made by the geomancers themselves, just seems to steal away the awesome power of having a geomancer… but maybe thats just my opppinion…

1 Like

Perhaps geomancers could make towering, brute-force behemoths directly from the earth, but a more sophisticated, pre-made body would be needed for tasks requiring greater dexterity (without, of course, the sheer power of raw magic)? Just my thoughts on it.

well this was the discription from the kickstarter:

New Class - Geomancer: Manipulate rock and stone to bolster
your city’s builders, flattening or raising earth as the cause demands.
Craft tireless golem workers so everyone else can take a much needed
break.

She put green lights in their empty eyesockets–a fanciful
touch, but she felt it gave them character. Now, she checked each rune
for dust, noted every crack for the touchups she’d handle tomorrow.
Powered them off, one by one. Slowly, lights dimmed to black. "Good job,
guys! Finished the whole square in just two days!" She dusted her
hands, patted each fondly on the head, and shut the warehouse door.

In the dark, one pair of eyes swirled back to life.

so interpret how you will… but this is going to far off topic so lets just stop discussion about the geomancer, if you wish to continue this discussion feel free to open up anew topic for it.

2 Likes

As far as clay objects (i.e., not beings, i.e., golems) I’d like to see… I don’t know if the game would allow for eating utensils, but if nothing else, plates and cups and porcelain teapots and mugs would make for nice decoration.

Other than that, perhaps tile floor “mats”. Place them onto floors to add extra details and/or colors.

4 Likes

I would definitely like to see some water works happen and the potter could be a great way to introduce that. I second whomever suggested fountains. Open air aqueducts for pushing water sources around your village would be very cool.

Definitely do some statuary; big, multi-square bases (2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and oblong sizes).

Ammunition for ranged weapons? Naturally found rocks for slings are generally wobbly. Some nice round baked clay balls would work better.

5 Likes

darn it! the time of my meeting was changed to just when the stream starts, so i wont be able to watch it :confounded:

• potted plants
  • Clay brick roofs.
  • clay oven and other cook workbenches.
  • fire bombs (idea for when ranged combat is in play).
  • clay firepit
  • ceramic dish shape on a pedestal with fire, for lighting.
5 Likes

So is the potter a replacement for the mason in Rayya’s children or in addition to? Anyone know?

I’d like to see clay window boxes with cactus flowers. An arch or open doorway of some kind would be nice for building in a hot region, hopefully that matches well with any mud brick/clay wall patterns we get.

Also, terracotta feeding troughs for animals maybe?

2 Likes

Ironically, my meeting got pushed back to tomorrow morning so for the first EVER, I get to watch a stream LIVE! happy bum wiggle

2 Likes