New kickstarter game, with some... odd similarities

@SteveAdamo That’s the spirit!

-Will

Nothing to see here… move on

Also what time is it 4pm pst again?
So another late night/morning :sleeping: Well good thing it is a heat wave here and no chance to sleep anyway

I’ve been following that game for 2 years, it’s come such a long long way and yet I just can’t seem to find the time to sit down and play it - I think I just want to wait for a good build, and more importantly, that networked multiplayer. Man that’s gonna be so fantastic!

You’re in the UK aren’t you? Where you at, cause I’ve got torrential rain and thunderstorms - it’s glorious.

Old London Tahn, and it is 80% humidity but a glorious moon
Due to get the storms tonight sometime I think, same as last night :rabbit:

1 Like

Thought as much, when the voxpocalypse hits, you’re the only one I have …

1 Like

Basement fully stocked with crates of baked beans.
We should produce enough methane to run the generators indefinitely. :dash:

3 Likes

No need to waste good beans, just make @SteveAdamo talk.

Hey guys, Kingcraft developer here.

The type of house in question is an Adobe house (examples i used here http://imgur.com/a/NcoeO). While the designs shown in my game are similar, I assure you my influences were taken from images of the real houses, not stolen from another developer’s work. As you can see in the images attached, common elements of both designs are part of real houses (rock foundation, ceiling beams that protrude from the walls, inlaid windows and doors).

As for the character design, almost all games with voxel-based characters chose to ignore elbows and knees. I originally had three arm segments, but too many animated parts tended to be distracting. If you look at Minecraft or Cubeworld, two other popular voxel based games, you’ll see that elbows are in fact an endangered species. If Ubisoft had patented Ray-man as an ‘elbowless blob of pixels’ we would all be out of business.

Thank you for your interest in my game

6 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to drop by and giving us the straight info.

There always room for more games and I for one welcome my new Voxel overlords from whichever game they come.
So, goodluck with Kingcraft and do pop in occasionally to say “Hi!”.

Hey there,

Thanks for commenting, hopefully that should clarify the whole thing (not that there was much that needed clarifying) and thanks for taking the time to comment!

As has already been said in the thread games like these are obviously going to draw certain comparisons, especially around visual stylings, it’s clear that they are two completely different games and as I said at the top if you’re creating assets from similar sources you’re gonna end up with a similar end result!

I’m playing through Final Fantasy Tactics at the moment and appreciate anybody who endeavours to make a tactical RPG! Best of luck to you!

you cut me deep man… you cut me deep… :cry:

i resemble that remark…

as my esteemed colleagues have conveyed, thanks for taking the time to stop by and provide more insight into your design decisions… there’s plenty of room in the voxel sandbox for everyone… :wink:

1 Like

Ok now I’m VERY upset.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560337858/kingcraft

Listen to the openings and tell me it’s not a god damned rip until the battle starts. The art assets are similar as far as the buildings are concerned but the landscape is very different (contrasting tiles) and the character models are very different. THE MUSIC ON THE OTHER HAND IM CALLING BS ON. You don’t make a fantasy turn based strategy and rip music from one of the most famous series in gaming.

What I meant was, the only one for me in England … I have one per country! Tobias for England, you for America, and whether he likes it or not @system for Canadaland.

Don’t leave me.

Anyway, @Crobo I must admit the intro’s bear a striking resemblance to each other …

Ultimately it will be the finished product that matters, and I can’t think of a RTS/Turn-based hybrid so it is an interesting concept, but both of those genre’s are filled with incredible games so it’s not going to be an easy task, especially when you’re gonna go up against some games that people adore.

I appreciate that this is agitating you, but please just take a step back let the guy create what he wants to create and then judge the final product.

man, some people are so hungry for a witch-hunt. it’s even more hypocritical to try to start a witch-hunt on the forums for stonehearth, of all places.

if you guys recall, stonehearth’s original feature set made nothing but a dwarf fortress clone. stonehearth’s workshops, job system, stockpile system, resource gathering, automated workers, megabeasts, all of this is is taken directly from dwarf fortress. the thing is, this is all fine, because everything in the world is iterative. if stonehearth takes features from existing things, its okay since it is iterating on those ideas. those hell, those ideas probably appeared in ten games before df

but why didn’t you care? because you didnt want to hate stonehearth. you’re on the stonehearth forums because you are a stonehearth fanboy. in the presence of your favorite game, you cant help but be blinded by jealousy.

first you guys think adobe houses were invented by stonehearth

then you say elbowless characters were invented by stonehearth (even claiming elbowless voxel characters were invented by cubeworld is ignorant)

you desperately grasped for similarities while ignoring the fact that it’s an entirely different genre of game. if games look the same but play differently, are they the same? if games look different, but play the same, are they the same?

with no knowledge of music theory or composition you claim that re-using a chord progression is the most heinous act of theivery. listen, nobody has invented a chord progression for fifty years. everything is borrowed or influenced by something. when i listen to the kingcraft theme, my ffta nostalgia kicks in, and i’m sure thats exactly what’s supposed to happen. aside from the basic feel, the piece has been revoiced, the melody is different, the chords arent even exactly the identical, they’ve been changed to lead into the rest of the theme

if you want to hate this guy, you’re welcome to, but if you try to start a witchhunt, you’ll only be showing your naivety.

at least a few of you conducted yourselves respectfully

hell, i just backed him $20 because i feel bad that he had to read your comments.

2 Likes

The two games are different and some people in this thread would do well to take a step back from it and judge these things objectively, but as I said, these type of games will always draw similarities and it has happened so, we move forward.

I take my hat off to the Kingcraft dev for actually wanting to do something he is passionate about. Whilst I’m not going to condone all of your reply as there are certain parts which are antagonistic, so are some of the comments above, so, fire with fire, and lets reign back some decorum from here on out everyone.

I would just like to say that if you could stop with generalised statements that we all think Stonehearth invented certain aspects of game design and model assets that’d be great.

In regards to the music, yes the Kingcraft music is different, to me, it sounds slightly slower with a few less layers than FFT music, I think that is where the issue was for someone, as it sounded like a slightly altered version of the FFT music, but hey, as I said, judge the finished product as that will speak for itself.

I can assure you that no witchhunt will occur.

3 Likes

I feel like I am the only one who thinks that their project is really cool and honestly I don’t think it is a copy of stonehearth at all.I mean sure the style may be the same or just similar but there are many games with similar graphical styles.Personally I hope this game does well and mayby some of us could help with that,I know that I might.

in the interest of letting the healing process begin, let’s just move on folks…

i wont close this up, as that would seem somehow tactless… are there similarities between the two? yes, of course… has the developer hacked into team radiant’s secret labs? not so much…

let’s all just shake hands and carry on… or hug in @Geoffers747 case… onward! :rainbow:

2 Likes

There are always going to be people that draw inspiration from other projects similar to their own… just some draw more inspiration than others. I know that i get copied all the time within my sector but unfortunately thats life. nothing is truly original (unless your a genius with the ability to think up something that hasnt actually been seen before in some way(which is practically impossible)). Of course it doesnt mean you have to like it. besides, sloppy rushed jobs stand out like a sour thumb. they never sit right or feel like they should. If you have your own goal and style, and stick with it the results will show.

1 Like

I would just like to let everybody know, that it appears @kingcraftdev and @Scoreboard are the same person.

I said that no witchhunt will occur, and it won’t, but I just felt you should all know and let you take what you want from what @Scoreboard said, but for one thing, I’m not sure if taking $20 out of one pocket and placing it in the other constitutes: