Multi-Story Buildings

I think it gets exponentially worse when it’s just floors on top of each other–it wasn’t until the crenellations on the Diadem project that the Red Walls of Death really started to get bad for me. Stacking houses/walls Mountain-style isn’t as calamitous, from what I’ve seen–messes with the pathfinding more, though. I think @Teleros’s test was able to push it to five or six stories before the settlers finally called it quits and rioted.

i’m finding it hard to process the Herculean feat that was this construction project… you sir have done your title proud this day… :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see what people build once multi-storeys are supported!

1 Like

Oh, I never got to finish the Tower of Cid because the game auto-updated a few days ago and the save was lost… :frowning: I was going to post the pictures I had so far but forgot about it while building the big Cid statue I posted this weekend (go up!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, it wasn’t much… But it required a lot of patience! Each step required a new floor building (and the pattern to be drawn)

I was going to reach the peak and then build the tallest-tower-possible there :smiley: Or at least try to
This is as far as I got:

9 Likes

Your work is epic!

Not to give you bad ideas if you’ve got non-Cid-related obligations, but is there any chance your next Cid will have campfire glow-in-the-dark eyes? :fire: :fire:

I’m thinking a small entrance at his feet leading to a hidden internal shaft, with a ladder going up to his head and separate tunnels to the eyes, so as not to sully the exterior with ladders to get them lit

5 Likes

Beautiful stairs!

Keep in mind, if you get too high you may encounter this issue when trying to build ladders…just something to keep in mind to test first.

1 Like

I could certainly try that! I must admit the original plan for the statue was a little bit bigger, but building “hanging” parts is really complicated (you have to build “pillars” and then break them later) so I simplified the prototype. Next one will certainly have an internal section and be bigger, for sure!

I’ll add the bright eyes to my queue though, I’m currently drafting two new projects :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This post made me try to build as a “bridge” between two others … here is the result :
At night :

On daylight :

With some of the manual scaffolding needed:

I have then been wiped out by angry gobblins :frowning:

8 Likes

We are never going to run out of new ways to stack buildings on top of each other. I feel like the building editor is going to be really great on it’s own, but incredibly powerful in the hands of creative minds.

The fact that I can build a house on the ground or on a mountain or on a tree or on a house or (presumably) underground is great. It’s very emergent.

2 Likes

Wow, looks great! I once tried something similar (it was a two story building on a foothill corner where the second floor was larger and levelled with the higher hill) but I didn’t think about making it as a bridge, more like as a “mine entrance” (without the mine) and the game kept crashing since there were walls overlapping the mountain :frowning:

Never managed to finish it :frowning:

Yours is an amazing concept! Gotta try it sometime :smile:

1 Like

Just saw these and shared them around the team–they’re awesome! :slight_smile: Thanks for making my Wednesday morning. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Has anyone seen job above max height errors while creating multi-story buildings in the latest DEV build?

if you’re referring to building up to the “world height”, then yes, I think @jonzoid reported that here:

I never got any of the popup runtime errors, just was unable to build a ladder on anything above the tallest mountain level…couldn’t even place it.

mine is slightly different, I will be releasing a video today where I can not build a second story of a building and I consistently get error windows about jobs being above the max build height. It would build the posts; however not the walls.

I tried to bridge a gap once. It didn’t go very well. I placed ladders everywhere, having to wait for them to put a block over the gap before I could raise my ladders so that they’d place another block over the gap. Sometimes, I had to delete and rebuild ladders, as ladders would go unfinished when built from the top and bottom at the same time. I also ran into trouble when designing the floor plan - when I erased parts of the second floor, my villagers wold immediately start removing my stairs. But it worked for a time - until lunch time. They never worked on it again.

And with the ladders removed, for clarification:So, I guess I’ll just enjoy my fort with battlements and hope that the goblins don’t scale the walls.

6 Likes

So i tried to get the highest possible tower without having to juggle with too many scales … Here what I did :

First build two 25x25 houses and two 23x23 houses … have to fight the “large roof causes lag and crashes bugs” through multiple saves :wink: :

Then I come with a pretty bridge between two 21x21 houses …

And so on up to floor 5 :smiley: :

And then the nightmare started … UI that won’t disappear, manage to save but even if savegame is created, it does not appear in the load menu, and corrupted savegames with the “store.cpp” messages that comes up as soon as I manage to make a displaying save … (BTW @sdee I have two savegames, one loading, one not with the store.cpp bug within two hours IG if you want)

So here where it crashes each time :

or here

I’ll retry next update something maybe in the same vein (in peaceful mode, almost run out of wood on my platform) ! :stuck_out_tongue:

PS : I love the @Froggy 's mod adds doors and windows and all :smile:

18 Likes

Wow, awesome building, even if it is crashing! I’m pretty sure we’ve never tried to build that high; we’ll add it to our list. Paging @ponder and @Tom!

5 Likes

you sir (or ma’am?) are getting dangerously close to being one of my favorite builders… :smile:

that is just gorgeous!

6 Likes

You guys are amazing. I’m really impressed! I’m working on a secret feature at the moment, but hopefully can get back to building optimizations, soon. I’ll look at grow-roof efficiency first.

11 Likes