Mod Idea: New User Tutorial?

Hi all,

I’m new to Stonehearth but I’m pretty hooked already. (Long time DF player.)

I’ve never done much modding but I’ve always wanted to. My first idea is to create a new user tutorial to introduce players to the basic elements of the game and the interaction model. Something just a bit more in depth than the current tutorial.

Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone working on it already?

2 Likes

There is a tutorial available already, though it only mentions how to use the harvesting tool and how to put down a stockpile (maybe something else; I don’t remember), but that’s about it. I don’t recall anyone saying that they’re making a tutorial mod; if you want to make one you can always extend the tutorial that’s already there (which reduces the time of having to implement it).

Edit:
Seems like you made a separate thread about this. :+1:
Could any of you wonderful moderators move this post to here?

3 Likes

sure thing mate :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I think I’d like to do a bit more in depth one. User @AitanLiran made a good outline of a few tutorial steps in this post. I think that’s a great level of detail for starters.

1 Like

That would indeed be a way to go about it, and going by that route you’d have greater control in the direction of the tutorial.

Something that’s mentioned in that thread is that the world couldn’t be randomly generated, which can be fixed by loading a pre-determined save file (which would have to be inside of your mod or downloaded separately to be put among the other save files, though I’d prefer it be the first option even though it’s somewhat trickier).

1 Like

Yeah, although I haven’t really looked at the general mod architecture or pipeline, I was assuming that I’d need the ability to have constructed world states. And even potentially the ability to switch between them during the tutorial. Although I suppose I could just have my different areas designed in one world and move the camera when I switch subjects. E.g., one question I had at first was how to find ores. I didn’t know that a square with ore looked different than a normal stone square. So I may want to add a mining section to the tutorial. And when that section comes up we can just pull the camera to a nice little mine I’ll build into the world.

Good luck with this mod :smiley:
Can’t wait to see the results!

I’ve sometimes thought about making a tutorial quest like the existing ones myself, but never really started to try it. Derailment: Many ideas and little time. I think I’ll update Candyland by the time biomes are added or something, and in the meanwhile try to upgrade my other mods and release the Active Furniture one.

2 Likes

not much of a tutorial for new user is its only got 2 topics. I guess you meant… 'yes, good idea."

1 Like