Make Mountain Give More STONE

I feel like the mountains when we mine them should give a lot more stone than what they give now. They hardly give any stone for the amount that you mine out and it makes little sense that you get this little.

I think that is because the material:build ratio isnt 1:1. If it were it would make sense that you receive more stone. They probably did this to keep inventory levels at reasonable numbers and cut down on hearthling movement time.

3 Likes

This has pretty much been confirmed as far as I’m aware.

The problem for me is that I like my mountains as backdrops for my town, so if I need to mine a massive amount of stone I don’t want to have to tear down one of the mountains to obtain it. I usually do end up with plenty of stone and ores in the mid-game when I start transforming some of the rocky outcrops into watchtowers, but in the early-game I’m loathe to go mining around in the mountains or the ground because I know I’ll need to make fairly large tunnels (at least compared to the size of the town) in order to obtain the stone I want. If I were more forward-thinking/had more rigid plans for the town layout, I might be able to get all the stone I need by digging out a sewer network or such; but most of the time I like to let my game unfold organically and to let the terrain have a hand in shaping my town… so often the reason that I gravitate towards building near mountains is the very same reason I don’t want to go mining into them.

I wonder if it’s worth exploring “mineshafts” as a very large workbench which can be used to “mine” ores or just stone without damaging the terrain? I know we currently have traders as an inexhaustible supply of materials; but there are times where traders are few and far between, and there’s only so many items you can make for sale. However, I often have a couple of idle hearthlings; if I could put them to work mining without ruining the terrain then that would make it that much easier to build larger-scale towns.

An alternative would be to have two mining orders – one which is quick, busting through the rock with a low drop chance; and one which is more careful so it takes longer but has a 75% or better chance of dropping something. It’s nicer than the “infinite mineshaft” idea in terms of immersion, but might be more cluttered for players…

2 Likes

I’m the only one that buy wood and stone resources?
Place a few market stalls and done. I have 8, so with their random amounts I can buy up to 40 in a single batch.
After I got my traders, I never dig again. (or cut trees)

4 Likes

Good idea :slight_smile: i don’t use the normal market stalls very often mainly because they are pretty lacking for other stuff but that’s a good idea for stone for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

mine a 4x4 hole straight down to bedrock, build a ladder to the top and put a mining housing over it. Then branch mine at different height levels.

I havnt tried this personally, but as soon as I get a chance to get back on the game I will!

I love this idea:

1 Like

Those stalls are late-game though; I’m thinking in the early-game specifically.

That said, it does work extremely well to simply import all your materials once you have a couple of high-level, high-Mind crafters who can pump out fine items and quickly level up to the more valuable crafts.