Logs and Wood Colours

Hello everyone,

I’ve been playing for a few hours now, and one minor annoyance I’ve had is the amount of wood colours available when building dwarfing what trees are actually available in the area, as well as the wood on the building material screen not telling you what logs it comes from. There have been several buildings I’ve had seemingly randomly stop being built, which I’ve only managed to actually get built by changing the wood colours at random until my Hearthlings decide we have that type available.

A quick search tells me nobody else has had a problem, which leads me to believe that I’m missing something faceplamingly obvious. Is there a way of being able to tell what you’ve got without memorising them all?

hmmm the woodcolour shouldnt affect anything because the building system use the wood resources and every log is a resource ,

but sometimes it happens that the hearthlings stop building because there is another important task ^^

try to set a hearthling via taskmanager only to build and see if it helps

1 Like

There were no other tasks for the workers. They reached a certain point on the building, then went and sat around the fire doing nothing. As soon as I changed the wood colour, they hopped up and immediately went back at it. I left them a while to check they weren’t just resting, either. About half an in-game day.

I assumed that different logs were used for different colours, since this issue also happened on another house I eventually just cancelled the build of. They built everything in two of the darker colours, but completely ignored anything supposed to be a lighter colour.

hmmm do you have a mod installed? do you use x32 or x64 and can you give us your pc specs?

and can you show what the stonehearth.log shows …(test it again and when they stop paste the content of the log … perhaps something triggers a stop

1 Like

How big is your town? or even how long have you been playing? I noticed something similar in alpha 12, where they would leave a few logs and only use newer logs.

Hope that helped :smile:

2 Likes

Nope, pure vanilla.

x64 and Intel i5-4690; Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; 2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance RAM; nothing over-clocked or modded. OS is Win. 8.1.

I’ll see if I can replicate the error again.

Not very big at all. Only about 9 Hearthlings, a building or two, a few fields, and a hillside excavation on one, and the other has a good amount more but hasn’t ventured as far out. Both are about 3-4 hours play-time each. The logs they eventually used had been there for a while; nothing had been gathered since, as I was still observing to see if they would actually finish the rest of the house.

Alright, thanks for all the info. If you could, the next time you notice this occurring, take a screenshot or two to show exactly where in the building process this occurs, and try saving the game and reloading it. If reloading the game fails to correct the issue, please upload the save here for the devs to check. If the save folder (located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games by default) can be zipped to less than 10 MB, upload the save directly. If not, please upload the folder to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and paste the sharing link here.

1 Like

I found an old save that opens up at exactly the point in the building where the Hearthlings are idle. Screenshots and upload will follow.

3 Likes

1450822802465.zip (4.1 MB)

Points showing the half-complete build on the left–ignore the column and minor excavation at the back right, they belonged to an old, deleted build. Second a few hours ahead in the same day.

Aerial layout.

Side where I first discovered the issue, note the lighter wood blocks highlighted in these last images:

Upon changing those highlighted blocks to a different colour of wood, the build immediately resumed.

Building cost throughout was:

Stone: 10
Wood Log: 20
Wide Window Frame: 4
Tall Window Frame: 14

No strange materials were used; I had everything I needed for the build save the frames, which aren’t required for the structure itself anyway.

2 Likes