Livestream maybe?

I would love to see more live streams. I have only ever participated in one, but it was great. The changes to archiving are a bit annoying though…

There is something about communicating with devs directly and informally in twitch or some other venue which is very appealing to me. It was very common for back when I was in the Hawken Alpha and Beta that players and devs would gather on IRC… they would just idle during work hours and pop on every now and then to say hi and talk about what they were working on. Also over at Grim Dawn we interact with the devs this way, although it is much more infrequent. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to include an official irc channel to Stonehearth.

1 Like

IRC might be a little old fashioned for this (relatively) young crowd. What do all the cool kids use nowadays?

Maybe Google hangouts?

2 Likes

@moe_noobinus I think google hangouts would probably be the opposite of cool :wink: however I do think the alternatives are probably equally uncool but facebook (sigh) may be the best rout and most accessible. I do still feel the old fashioned way is best :wink:

Facebook could work, for some. I have heard bad stuff about the Facebook chat client, and some of us here don’t have a Facebook account, like me.

I like Google Hangouts, but it would be awesome if one of us could set up a Chatroom on an Trillian client for all of us. It would be simple, very accessible, and effective.

absolutely agree… Team Radiant has been particularly good about this, and wholly transparent during the development cycle… :+1:

I have to agree with @woollysmash . The alternatives are so unappealing.

I’m not about to setup a Facebook. I do have a Google account, but maybe some people don’t have one or don’t want to use Hangouts for other reasons.

Let’s just use IRC.

1 Like

Would Trillian be good as a chat client?

1 Like

I believe we’re talking less instant messaging and more chatroom orientation. There are a lot of IRC addons for browsers like xchat. Personally I am old school and use mIRC. The big question is what server to use… Quakenet and GameSurge seem to be the big two…

Well, to me, mIRC is a well known and reliable chat client, though it’s certainly outdated by today’s standards.

Yeah xchat and I think icechat browser addons are probably the more current renditions of mIRC but the beauty of servers is you can use multiple addons, clients, or pages like mibbit all to connect to the same location. With mibbit you can actually set it up so it is on the main stonehearth website and we can all connect from there.

XChat seems like a good way to go, though I’m am afraid that Mac users won’t be able to use it as it’s only for Windows and Linux.

I know another good choice: AJAXChat.

It is a Web Chat-Client that work on all platforms.

What I think we should be looking for in a Web Chat-Client is:

• How Fast Is It (How Long It Takes To Communicate With Each Other And Non-Laggy)

• How Accessible It Is (Embedded Into A Webpage Using A Link)

• How Easy To Control (Not Hard To Moderate And Control The Server)

• How Much Supported Platforms (Users Using A Specific Platform Can Still Access The Chat)

• How Secure It Is (Prevention Of Botnets, Spamming, And Hacking Attempts)

• How Organized It Is (Nice And Easy To Read And Not A Garbled Mess)

• How Customizable It Is (Skins, Avatars, ETC)

• How Many Features (Icons, Emoticons, Sounds, Different OP Levels, ETC)

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with this.

I’m thinking a chat integrated directly into the main website may be the most accessible. I know there are a number of these sites but I am not particularly sure which one is the best and most secure. We would want something that would be Mac available as well.

1 Like

I guess AJAX Chat would be our best bet, then.

Here is a description of the software ripped off from SourceForge.net

##AJAX Chat - Open-Source Webpage-Intergrated Chat-Client

Description

Features

• Real-Time Chat

• No Flash Required

• Emoticons

• Private Messages

• Private Rooms

• CMS Integration

Platforms

Windows NT, OS/X, And GNU/Linux

Pictures

1 Like

The Shoutbox doesn’t look half bad either.

1 Like

You know, we don’t really need an off-site, third party server to host our proposed chat, someone on the discourse like a Mod, Local-Admin, or trusted member could host the server on their computer.

What do you think, @SteveAdamo about having the Stonehearth Discourse having it’s own chat?

I think it’s been suggested before, but never really caught on, as far as I could tell…

the livestream chats are always fun though! :smile:

Last I knew Trillian had support for IRC.

Emacs has no less than 3 IRC extensions.

Chatzilla extension runs on Mozilla Firefox and family.

mIRC was mentioned.

XChat was mentioned.

Many more options exist.

Well, I think that an open-source and web-integrated chat-client like AJAX Chat would fit our needs best. It’s not the worst option, you see. It’s actually pretty good.

1 Like

Still in favor of the chat here. I know I’d pretty much be chatty or idle most of the time I’m not at work or actually playing games. I am a product of a chatty era!